History
Site of the Home of John Austin
Member of Long's Expedition in 1819. Pioneer settler in Austin's colony. Alcalde of Brazoria, 1832. Commander at the Battle of Velasco. Signer of the Turtle Bayou Resolutions; died in 1833
History
Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell
(1791-1838) One of the "Old Three Hundred" who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin in 1821. First alcalde of Austin's colony. On this tract of 6,642 acres, granted him in 1824, was later built the town of Columbia, first capital of the Republic. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Town of Old Velasco
One of oldest Texas towns. Port of entry for over 25,000 settlers, 1821-1835. Scene of first armed conflict leading to Texas Revolution, 1832. In mid-1800s, resort place for wealthy plantation families. Declined after the Civil War and 1875 hurricane. This school is named for Velasco. (1969)
History
St. John's Lodge No. 5, A. F. & A. M.
St. John's Masonic Lodge No. 5 traces its history to 1838 when a warrant of dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The first worshipful master, Daniel T. Fitchett, was installed by Anson Jones, the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons of the Republic of Texas. The lodge met in a private home until 1842 when meetings ceased.
History
Stringfellow Ranch
Born at Old Brazoria, Robert Edward Lee Stringfellow (1866-1951) began his career on a cattle ranch at the age of 14. Soon he acquired his own herd. He opened a Velasco meat market in 1890 and provided beef for workers building jetties at the mouth of the Brazos River. Stringfellow's ranch holdings here in southern Brazoria County increased to 20,000 acres.
History
Sweeny Cemetery
Begun as family burial ground when John Sweeny, early landowner, member of Stephen F. Austin's colony, chose this site for burial of his young daughter, Freedonia, 1833. In use ever since by the neighborhood. Has graves of veterans of all wars since Texas Revolution. 1966
History
Sweeny Home
Tennessee native Rees P. Sweeny (1856-1937) constructed this raised Victorian house in 1896, the year Angleton became the seat of government for Brazoria County. The county's tax collector from the early 1890s to 1902, Sweeny moved here as part of the transition from the earlier county seat, Brazoria.
History
Sweeny Plantation
John Sweeny, Jr., after returning from the Texas Revolution, was given this plantation by his father, an extensive landholder. In 1837 slaves built the house, using only brick, nails and wood made on his land. Molasses, cotton, sugar were produced. Still owned by descendants. (1965)
History
Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin
John Sweeny, Sr. (d. 1855) moved his family from Tennessee to Brazoria County, Texas, about 1833. With the help of slaves, he cleared his land and established a large plantation. This log cabin, originally located about 9 miles southwest of this site, was built soon after Sweeny's arrival and housed the slave family that included Mark and Larkin Waddy.
History
Thaddus Constantine Bell
First male child born in Austin's colonies in Texas; born October 4, 1822, died in March, 1871. His wife, Elizabeth Cayce Bell, born September 30, 1830, died Feb. 24, 1864.
History
The Brazos Canal
Chartered in 1841, the Brazos Canal Company was the result of local landowners' efforts to build canals to connect inland plantations to Gulf shipping ports. Construction began in 1847 on a canal, referred to locally as the "slave ditch" because it was dug by the slaves of company owners. A one-mile section, twenty-four feet wide and three feet deep, took two years to complete.
History
The Lively
The Lively, first vessel with emigrants to Austin's colony landed here December 23, 1821. The Battle of Velasco was fought here June 26, 1832. Public and secret treaties of peace between the Republic of Texas and General Santa Anna were signed here May 14, 1836. Dedicated May 14, 1936.
History
Thomas Jefferson Sweeny
A San Jacinto veteran Born in Tennessee 1812 Died in La Grange, Texas 1869 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Titlum-Tatlum
Nearby island. Resort for fishermen, hunters, small boats. During the Civil War, 1861-65, used by such captains as H. C. Wedemeyer, a peacetime shipbuilder, as base for operations defying Federal blockade. Ships loaded with cotton entered waterways around Titlum-Tatlum and hid among willows, out of range of observers with spyglasses on the tall masts of federal blockading ships.
History
Tyler-Bryan-Weems House
Tyler-Bryan-Weems House Ariadne O. Gautier (1834-1910) came from Florida to this part of Texas in 1841 with her parents. Her father, Dr. Peter Gautier, Jr., joined other Texans in turning back an invading Mexican army in 1842. In 1855, Ariadne married Clinton Lucretius Terry, with whom she had four children. Terry, serving with Terry's Texas Rangers, died in the Civil War at Shiloh in 1862.
History
Varner-Hogg Home (The "Varner")
Last home of James Stephen Hogg, first native Texan to be elected governor. Located on an 1824 Spanish land grant made to Martin Varner. House built by sugar planter C. R. Patton. Restored 1920. Given to the State, 1958, by Miss Ima Hogg.
Military
Velasco
Here was fought a battle-- the first collision in arms between Texas colonists and the Mexican military-- a conflict preliminary to the Texas War for Independence. On June 26, 1832, when Texans under John Austin and Henry Smith came down river with cannon for use against Mexican forces at Anahuac, they ran against the resistance of Lt. Col. Domingo de Ugartechea.
History
Velasco Cemetery
In 1891 Brazos Investment Company dedicated these 2.5 acres as the only public cemetery in the county, except for an early slave graveyard, Clute. The deed calls for usage without charge for plots. Earliest grave marker 1893. Maintained by Velasco Cemetery Association. (1967)
History
Velasco Lodge No. 757, A. F. & A. M.
A part of Brazoria County history for more than a century, Velasco Lodge No. 757, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, was granted a charger from the Grand Lodge of Texas on December 8, 1893. R. E. Murrell served as first Worshipful Master.
History
Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou
Most early Texas homes and towns were built along streams that provided water for people and livestock, and travel for boats said to be capable of "floating on a heavy dew". Oyster Creek served, 1822-1861, as such a homesite-highway. Its boat landings were piled high with sugar, cotton, cane and other products of some of America's richest plantations.
History
W. H. Abrams Well No. 1
In 1920, Texas & Pacific Railway official William H. Abrams (1843-1926) of Dallas owned this old plantation land, then considered fit only for pasture. He leased mineral rights to the Texas Company (now Texaco, Inc.), whose drilling reached a climax on July 20, 1920.
History
William Harris Wharton
Participated in the Battle of Velasco, 1832. Member of the Convention of Texas, 1832; president of the Convention of 1833; minister of the United States, 1836-1837; member of the 5th Congress of the Republic. Born in Virginia, 1806; died March 14, 1839.
History
William Jarvis Cannan
(December 23, 1808 - September 24, 1881) A Republic of Texas soldier during War for Independence. Born in Edgefield, S. C.; came to Texas in 1835. Entering army, he fought in famed victory of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. He received headright and bounty lands in Brazoria, San Patricio, Coleman, and Limestone counties.
History
William Joel Bryan
(December 14, 1815 - March 3, 1903) Grandson of Moses Austin, whose dream of Anglo-American colony changed course of Texas history. Came to Texas with his mother and stepfather in 1831; served in Texas army from 1835 to 1838. A highly successful planter, he was instrumental in building of deepwater port at mouth of the Brazos. Town of Bryan, Texas, is named for him. He married Lavinia Perry.
History
Zychlinski Park
Named for the Polish nobleman who came to Brazoria County in the late 1880s and fell in love with the flowering pear trees in an area he called Pearland, Zychlinski Park was included in the original town site. Captain Wilhelm Zychlinski bought 5991 acres of land by a railroad siding switch at a station called Mark Belt.