History
Eagle Island Plantation
Site of the home of Sarah Ann Groce Wharton (1810-1878) and William Harris Wharton (1806-1839). Member of the Convention of Texas, 1832. President of the Convention of 1833; member of the Senate of the Republic of Texas, 1836-1838; Texas minister to the United States, 1836-1837. A gathering place for distinguished people.
History
Edmund Calloway Darst
A San Jacinto veteran born in Missouri, 1815; died in 1838. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Ellerslie Plantation
John Greenville McNeel came to Texas in 1822 with his parents and brothers. Each of the men received land grants from the Mexican government as members of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colony. Located near this site was the Ellerslie Plantation, home of John Greenville McNeel and his family.
History
Emily Margaret Brown Austin Bryan Perry
(1795-1851) Born near Austinville, Virginia, as was her brother Stephen Fuller Austin (1793-1836), Emily moved with her father Moses Austin (1761-1821) and mother Maria Brown Austin (1768-1824) to Missouri in 1798. The family operated lead mines there and founded the town of Potosi, south of St. Louis. Emily was sent to schools in Kentucky and New York and returned to Missouri in 1812.
History
First Missionary Baptist Church of Angleton
Angleton's First Missionary Baptist Church organized in 1898, when it primarily served African American field hands and tenant farmers from the surrounding agricultural area. In 1905, under the direction of the Rev. Hamp Evans, congregants built their first sanctuary. The church held services once a month, eventually adding other Sunday services as the membership grew.
History
Four Miles Southeast to the Original Town of Velasco
Landing place of the "Lively" first vessel bringing immigrants to Austin's colony in 1821. There the Battle of Velasco, between Texas colonists and Mexican troops, was fought June 26, 1832. A treaty of peace between Texas and Mexico was signed there May 14, 1836, by Presidents David G. Burnet and Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna but was never ratified by Mexico.
History
Freeport National Bank (Freeport Sulphur Company Building)
The Freeport Sulphur Company was instrumental in the founding and early development of the city of Freeport and the region. It was incorporated on July 12, 1912, and then organized the Freeport Townsite Company with the purpose of developing a city on the west bank of the Brazos River.
History
George Rounds
(1805 - 1855) New Yorker George Rounds served in Col. James W. Fannin's regiment in the Texas War for Independence but escaped the Goliad Massacre. He settled in Columbia, where he operated a tavern. Just before his death, he drew up a will devising his estate to "educating poor and orphan children" in the community.
History
Gulf Prairie Cemetery
Pioneer cemetery. Originally part of Peach Point Plantation. Used by descendants of James Franklin Perry and wife, Emily Austin Bryan Perry, Stephen F. Austin's sister, and by the community since 1829. In 1836, Austin, the "Father of Texas," was buried here. His remains were reinterred in the state cemetery in the city of Austin in 1910. (1967)
History
Henry William Munson
(January 15, 1793 - October 6, 1833) Heroic early Texas soldier. Fought in Battle of the Medina, near San Antonio, 1813. Returned East afterward, but moved to Texas as a colonist in 1824. Fought on behalf of Mexico to quell Fredonian Rebellion, 1827; but against Santa Anna's agents in 1832 Battle of Velasco. Munson married Ann Pearce.
History
Home of George B. McKinstry
(1802 - 1837) A member of Austin's Colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; Delegate to the General Convention, 1832; Chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
James Briton "Brit" Bailey
(1779-1833) Pioneer Texan noted for his courage, integrity, and eccentric behavior. Came to Texas in 1818 with wife and six children. He settled on what came to be "Bailey's Prairie". Joined Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1824. Bailey became a captain in the local militia. Fought in battles preceding 1836 Texas Revolution.
History
James Franklin Perry
(September 19, 1790 - September 13, 1853) A native of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, James Franklin Perry moved to Potosi, Missouri, in 1808. He joined the mercantile business of his relatives Samuel and John Perry, and became a partner in 1818. While living in Potosi, Perry met and married Emily Margaret Austin Bryan, a widow with four children.
History
John Adriance
(November 10, 1816 - December 7, 1903) Faithful soldier, Texas War for Independence. He was in unit of Capt. Jacob Eberly, detailed by Gen. Sam Houston to guard Bell's Landing (East Columbia) until civilians could escape in front of Santa Anna's army. He and 15 others then hurried to rejoin Gen. Houston, only to find Battle of San Jacinto had been won on April 21, 1836.
History
John S. D. Byrom
Born in Georgia September 14, 1798; died July 10, 1837. Delegate to the Consultation, 1835; signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836.
History
Joseph H. Hawkins
Joseph H. Hawkins Native Virginian Joseph H. Hawkins practiced law in Kentucky, where he served as state legislator and U.S. congressman before moving to New Orleans. There he befriended Stephen F. Austin, who was broke and reluctant to complete his father's colonization plans on his own. Hawkins encouraged him to continue, offering him a job and, later, capital for the project.
History
Levi Jordan Plantation
Home built 1848-1851 by slave labor; materials came by sea, Florida to Velasco, and up the San Bernard River. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Liverpool Cemetery
In community founded in 1837 as Chocolate Bayou shipping point, and named for famous English port. Burials began here 1875. 3-acre cemetery site was gift of Thomas C. Nelson. In early years, part of the tract was occupied by a building used as a school and church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Architecture
M. L. Weems House
This Greek Revival house was built about 1847 by Dr. Mason Locke Weems II, the first of a succession of Weems family physicians to live here. The house features a center passage plan and raised cottage form. Details on the six-bay inset porch include square posts with molded caps and turned-wood balusters.
History
Major Guy M. Bryan, C.S.A.
(1821-1901) Born in Missouri. Rode a mule to Texas in 1831 to join his uncle, Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. A private in Texas War for Independence. Legislator, congressman, member of Texas Secession Convention.
History
Major James Peckham Caldwell
(January 6, 1793 - November 16, 1856) Adjutant of the Texas army in Battle of Velasco, June 26, 1832. Wounded there, he was guarding civilians at time Texas won independence in Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. A bosom friend of Stephen F. Austin, Caldwell received land grant from Mexico in 1824. In 1830s he had a sugar mill, said to be the first on the Brazos.
History
Major Reuben R. Brown
(February 3, 1808 - March 2, 1894) In Texas War for Independence, joined Matamoros Expedition of January 1836. In detachment that captured horses of Gen. Urrea of Mexican army. Brown was made captive in a counterattack, and spent 11 months in prison in Mexico, but finally escaped. In his old age, he lived at "Sur Mer", home of his daughter Mrs.
History
Masonic Oak
Site of organization, March 1835, the first Masonic Lodge in Texas, Holland Lodge, Brazoria. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
McCroskey-Stringfellow House
A tanner, John McCroskey came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300". He built this home in compliance with the terms of his 1824 land grant. Later owners remodeled the structure. Oliver Jones, the owner in 1849-50, was chairman of a commission to design the flag and seal of the Republic of Texas. Robert J.
History
Nash-Wright House
One of oldest houses surviving in Stephen F. Austin colony town of Bell's Landing (East Columbia). Founded 1823 by Josiah H. Bell. Earliest part of this house was built about 1847 on cedar pole framing by George Lewis Nash, who lived here with his family for about 45 years. House was bought 1892 by Martha Caroline Wright, wife of merchant James P. Wright. The Wrights added extensive area.