History
"Brit" Bailey Plantation
Established in 1818 as an individual claim by James Briton Bailey, a member later of Austin's colony. Born 1779, Bailey was tall, fearless, of Irish stock. At his request, he was buried (1833) standing up, facing west, gun at side. His restless ghost is said to walk this prairie. (1968)
History
Abraham Darst
Emigrated to Texas from Missouri in 1827 as an Austin colonist. Participated in the Battle of Velasco, 1832. Five of his sons were in the Army of Texas in 1836. Born May 14, 1786; died in December, 1833. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Albert Sidney Johnston
(February 2, 1803 -April 6, 1862) Kentucky native Albert Sidney Johnston graduated from the U. S. Military Academy at West Point in 1826. He was assigned to posts in New York and Missouri, and served in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He resigned his commission in 1834 to return to Kentucky to care for his dying wife. Johnston came to Texas in July 1836 and enlisted in the Republic army.
Architecture
Aldridge-Smith Home
This local landmark was built between 1837 and 1841 for William Aldridge, a farmer and large landholder. After a 10-year ownership by merchant Henry Hansen, the house was sold to J. H. Dance and Co., a construction firm that supplied arms to the Confederacy. Businessman Thomas Masterson Smith (1882-1965) and his wife Mary (1881-1964) leased the house from 1908 until they purchased it in 1917.
History
Allen Place
1883. Famous boarding house built by Jarvis family of Old Quintana. Veteran of Gulf storms, including "Carla", 1961. Restored by B. T. Allen, present owner.
History
Ammon Underwood
(February 13, 1810 - November 17, 1887) Born in Massachusetts; came to Texas, 1834. As a young man, held odd jobs, survived 2 shipwrecks, and explored Texas countryside. Fought in 1835 Siege of Bexar, Texas Revolution. Then settled here. Married Rachel Carson, 1839, by whom he had 4 children. Ran a thriving mercantile firm for 50 years, but lost a fortune in cotton during Civil War.
History
Ammon Underwood House
A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader- soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged house in 1838-39. In 1839 he married Rachel Jane, daughter of William and Catherine Carson, of Austin's original colony.
History
Battle of Jones Creek
Fought by Texan army of 23 men under Capt. Randal Jones (1786-1873), sent out 1824 by Stephen F. Austin to the lower Brazos to fight cannibal Karankawa Indians. Scouts found the camp here. Attack at dawn found Indians ready with spears. Jones' guns got 15 Indians, dispersed the rest. (1965)
History
Bell's Landing
Founded 1823 as Brazos River landing for Josiah H. Bell's plantation. Townsite of Marion laid out in 1824. Later named East Columbia. Army enlistment point and ferrying dock during Texas Revolution. Key river port and trade center during Republic of Texas days. (1965)
Architecture
Birchfield - McCown House
Built by A. J. Birchfield, first editor of Alvin "Sun", 1894. Often a storm refuge, house kept over 100 safe in famed 1900 coastal hurricane. Leading townspeople -- Greer, Carleton, Finger, and McCown families -- have owned this 12-room Victorian structure. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
History
Brazoria Townsite
Established 1828 by John Austin, friend of Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas". Site of tavern of Jane Long, widow of Dr. John Long, who had tried in 1819 to free Texas from Spain. Port, social center, market for colony. Burned by enemy during Texas Revolution, was rebuilt. County seat, business center till 1897. (1964)
History
Bryan Mound
During the first decade of the 20th century, mining engineers discovered sufficient quantities of sulphur deposits at Bryan Mound to lead to the organization of the Texas Freeport Sulphur Co. in 1912. The commercial production of sulphur at Bryan Mound was largely responsible for the development of the Freeport townsite.
Military
Cedar Lake Salt Works
Built in Confederate Texas in 1861-1862. Furnished essential salt to army and civilians. Raided by landing parties of Federals from Gulf ships, Nov. 27, 1862, lost buildings, 22 kettles, 4 large boilers. 10 tons of salt in hide bags was partly ruined. A nearby plant, when attacked next day, was defended by Texas calvary and escaped destruction. Winson's Works, below the San Bernard, was raided.
History
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown, born a slave in the late 1820s, came to the Brazoria County area from Virginia before the Civil War. Despite being illiterate and using an X for his mark beside his name on legal transactions, Brown acquired a vast amount of land according to the Brazoria County tax records. Between 1889 and 1910, he owned approximately 3,000 acres, including much of the land in West Columbia.
History
Colonel Robert M. Coleman
Erected by the State of Texas In Memory of Colonel Robert M. Coleman Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to General Sam Houston at San Jacinto Colonel of the first regiment of Texas Rangers Born in Kentucky in 1799 Drowned at the mouth of the Brazos in July 1837
History
Columbia
In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the first permanent government of the Republic went into operation here in Columbia in October.
History
Columbia (First Capital of Texas)
In 1836 and 1837, the town of Columbia (now West Columbia) served as the capital of the Republic of Texas. Josiah Hughes Bell, a colonist with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, surveyed and platted Columbia in 1824 to serve as a center for shipping activities.
History
Columbia Rosenwald School
A grant from the Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago led to the establishment of a local school for African American students. The foundation represented a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company, and the noted African American educator Booker T. Washington to fund similar schools throughout the South.
History
Confederate Cemetery
Established in the 1890's by John A. Wharton Camp, U. C. V.; burial ground for Confederate veterans and families. After increase of acreage, use of cemetery was extended to public. Veterans of 4 wars; 1900 hurricane victims as well as prominent civic leaders are buried here. (1968)
Architecture
Cummings-Smith House
After the Galveston hurricane of 1900 destroyed his home, banker-investor Oscar Smith Cummings (1866-1941) hired contractors Booth and Bigler to salvage the materials and build this Victorian residence in 1900-01. Oscar Smith, owner of a local meat market, bought the dwelling when Cummings moved to Houston in 1904. Threatened with demolition in 1972, the house was purchased and restored by Mr.
History
Damon Cemetery
One of oldest cemeteries in county. Started Dec. 13, 1837, with burial of Sylvester Winn Damon, a relative, on Abraham Darst's land grant of 1829 from Mexico. Locating of this first grave was within a year of date of founding of Brazoria County. Cemetery dedicated and 2.5 acre tract deeded to public, Sept. 1, 1908. (1964)
History
Don Carlos Barrett
A member of the General Council of the Provisional Government of Texas and by that body elected judge advocate general of the army with the rank of colonel, 1835. Born in Vermont June 22, 1788; died in Texas May 19, 1838.
History
Dr. Branch Tanner Archer
President of the Consultation, 1835. Texas commissioner to the United States in 1835-1836. Archer County was named in his honor. Born in Virginia, 1790; died September 22, 1856.
History
Dr. Sofie Deligath Herzog
Austrian-born Sofie Deligath (1846-1925) wed Dr. Moriz Herzog at the age of 14 and in 1878 emigrated with her family to the U.S., where she attended the eclectic Medical College of the city of New York in May 1895. After the death of her husband, she moved to Brazoria with the family of her youngest daughter, Elfriede Marie Herzog Prell.
History
Durazno Plantation
Originally a part of Stephen F. Austin's 1828 Mexican land grant, Durazno (Spanish for "peach") plantation was willed by Austin to his sister, Emily Austin Bryan Perry, upon his death in December 1836. The property was deeded in 1847 to Emily's son, William Joel Bryan, who developed it into a cotton and sugar plantation.