History
T. C. Frost and the Frost Bank
Thomas Claiborne Frost (1833-1903) came to Texas from Alabama in 1855 to teach at Austin College, Huntsville. Admitted to the bar in 1856, he served as a Texas Ranger before setting up a law practice in Comanche County. He was a delegate to the Seccession Convention in 1861 and an officer in the Confederate Army.
Industry & Science
T. C. Frost Wool Warehouse
A former Texas Ranger and confederate soldier, Thomas C. Frost (1833-1903) began wool commission business as part of his mercantile enterprise in the 1870s. He purchased wool from producers throughout the state and stored it in warehouses on this site until prices increased.
History
Texas' First All-Spanish Radio Program
"The International Goodwill Program" On October 28, 1928, "Radio Sam" (KGCI, Now KMAC) initiated a two-hour nightly program entirely in Spanish. The station's owner, Sam Liberto, with studios located at St. Mary's University, and Edward Buckley, a businessman, persuaded Julián F. Lozano to produce and announce the program.
History
The Argyle
Built 1859 by Charles Anderson as headquarters for a 1400-acre house ranch. Leaving San Antonio on Civil War's eve, Anderson sold to poet Hiram McLane who lived here 30 years. In 1890 at Alamo Heights' creation, a subdivider named the mansion for his native Argyllshire, Scotland. The O'Grady family, formerly of Boerne, bought the Argyle in 1893, making it famous for hospitality and food.
Military
The Battle of the Medina
The Battle of the Medina was fought here on August 18, 1813 by an army of Spanish royalists commanded by General Jose Joaquin Arredondo which defeated with terrific slaughter the Republican Army of the North composed of Anglo-Americans, Mexicans and Indians commanded by Jose Alvarez de Toledo. Thus ended an attempt to free Texas and Mexico from Spanish rule. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Battle of the Salado
Decisive in Texas history, was fought here September 18, 1842. Col. Mathew Caldwell and Capt. John C. Hays, commanding a force of Texas volunteers, opposed the Mexican Army under General Adrian Woll that had captured San Antonio, and with the loss of only one man, checked the last Mexican invasion of Texas and thereby prevented the capture of Austin, capital of the Republic of Texas.
Architecture
The Bexar County Courthouse
This courthouse occupies the south side of Main Plaza, formerly called "La Plaza de las Islas", as originally laid out by the Canary Islanders in 1731. As it was then, this plaza is the administrative and judicial heart of Bexar County. This is the fourth edifice to house the government of the county since Texas entered the United States.
History
The Bullis House
Completed in 1909 for Gen. John Lapham Bullis, this Neo-Classical Revival Residence was designed by San Antonio architect Harvey Page. A native of New York, Bullis spent much of his career on the Southwestern frontier. In 1873 he took command of a company of Seminole Scouts, whose sucess in tracking and combating Indian raiders attracted national attention. Gen.
History
The Caile House
This caliche block home was built by Robert Caile (d. 1879) soon after he purchased the property in 1857. Caile, who came to Texas from England, later enlarged the residence with an addition during the post-Civil War period. A part of the 1812 Spanish land grant to Delores Alderete, the site remained in Caile family until 1894, when it was purchased as rental property by Jacob Hotz, Farmer.
History
The Canary Islanders
Earliest civilian colonists of San Antonio, this nucleus of pioneers from the Canary Islands formed the first organized civil government in Texas and founded the village of San Fernando de Bexar in 1731. Following a sea and land voyage of over a year, these weary travelers arrived at the Presidio (Fort) of San Antonio early on March 9, 1731.
History
The Casas Reales
On site chosen July 2, 1731, for "government houses" by people of San Fernando de Bexar, including newly-arrived settlers from the Canary Islands. Structure, erected 1742, had to be rebuilt in 1779 by Don Jose Antonio Curbelo, alcalde of the Villa San Fernando de Bexar. A jail was erected to the south in 1783.
Military
The Dawson Massacre
Occurred in this vicinity on September 18, 1842 when Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 53 men from La Grange, in attempting to join Captain Mathew Caldwell (Old Paint) and his company of Texas Volunteers during the Battle of the Salado, were surrounded by Mexican Forces and 36 slain. 15 were taken prisoners, only 3 escaped. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Grass Fight
Near this site on Nov. 26, 1835, occurred The Grass Fight, one of the least decisive but certainly most unusual battles of the Texas War for Independence. For more than a month, the Texan forces, composed of both Anglo- and Mexican-Texans, had camped near San Antonio de Bexar waiting for an opportunity to engage the army of the Centralist regime stationed in the city.
History
The Matamoros Road
Near this site, used by Indians and the Spanish before 19th century Anglo-American settlement of Texas. Path of armies, missionaries and commerce. About 330 miles long, the route varied with seasons, depending on chances to water teams pulling wagons or carts. Driest stretch was from the Nueces to the Rio Grande.
History
The Oge House
One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton. A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder). Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating (1845) to Texas with the Castor Colony, serving in Texas Rangers under W.A.A. ("Bigfoot") Wallace, and making a fortune as a rancher.
History
The Pajalache Acequia (Ditch)
Constucted early in the 18th century by the Pajalache Indians as a part of their irrigation system, began here in La Villita and ended at Mission Concepcion. The padres and the Indians travelled in canoes between these places, as the acequia was wide and deep. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Perrin Home
Built 1875 from original plans drawn by Alphonse W. Perrin, born in New York City, 1848, of French parents. Perrin and bride, Mina Carr of Wisconsin, came to Texas seeking a better climate, first living at Leon Springs, then settling here near the banks of the Salado Creek. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
The Southwell Company
George T. Southwell (1870-1924), born on a Victoria County ranch, was the eldest son of Sarah Elizabeth (Phelps) and English native John T. Southwell. George ran a wholesale feed business and livery in Victoria and Yoakum and married Maggie Wilson in 1896. The couple moved to Matagorda County, where George was a rancher and rice farmer.
History
The Stockman Building
Erected 1867 to house shop of Diedrich Heye (1837-96), German-born master leather craftsman who made in this building the fine saddles, bridles, and harness required for ranching and trail driving. He was merchant to Capt. Richard King of King Ranch and other historic cattlemen.
History
The Woll Invasion
Mexico's last invasion of the republic of Texas Alarmed San Antonio on Sept. 11, 1842, when Gen. Adrian Woll and 1300 troops struck the city from the west. Awakened by booming cannon, 56 Texians (including judge, jurors, and citizens in town to attend court) bravely attempted to defend the city. They fortified the stone home of Samuel A.
History
The Woman's Club of San Antonio
Formed in 1898 by Philanthropist Eleanor Brackenridge (1837-1924) and journalist Marin B. Fenwick with eighteen charter members, the Woman's Club of San Antonio was the first departmental club in Texas. Miss Brackenridge served for seven years as the group's first president. The activities of this charitable organization have advanced voting and education for women, social reforms, and the arts.
Architecture
Thiele Cottage
Built in 1890 for San Antonio business and civic leader August Thiele, Jr., this high Victorian raised cottage was designed by noted architect James Reilly Gordon. Of particular importance is the structure's outstanding and unusual porch with its distinctive wagon-bow arch and radiating spindles, set beneath a triangular gable.
History
Thomas Jefferson High School
Fall of 1930 to help ease the crowded conditions in San Antonio's two existing High Schools. Despite public protest at the expense involved, the project was completed in January 1932. Designed by the San Antonio architectural firm of Adams and Adams, Thomas Jefferson High School is built around two large patios with a tower and sub-tower.
Architecture
Toltec Apartments
TOLTEC APARTMENTS Designed by Ernest P. Behles and built by the Gordon-Jones construction company, the three-story concrete and masonry Toltec apartment house was constructed in 1913 for Dr. Augustus maverick, who was tragically murdered before its completion. The maverick family played an important role in San Antonio's early downtown development.
Military
United States San Antonio Arsenal
Founded in 1858, the United States Arsenal at San Antonio was located on a site selected by Capt. R.H. K. Whiteley. Construction began in 1859 under the supervision of contractors John Me. and W.W. Campbell. Three buildings were under construction at the beginning of the Civil War: The magazine, office building, and Armorer's shop. After U.S. commander Gen. David E.