History
San Pedro Creek
In 1709 Franciscan fathers Antonio Olivares and Isidro Espinosa came upon an Indian campsite at the natural springs (1.4 miles north) which form the headwaters of this creek. They named the creek San Pedro and noted the area as a superior site for a settlement.
History
Sartor House
Designed by prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this home was built in 1881 for Alexander Sartor, Jr. A native of Germany, Sartor came to San Antonio in the mid-nineteenth century and established a jeweery business. After he sold the house in 1909, it was used for a variety of purposed, including a medical office and a literary studio.
Nature
Scenic Loop - Boerne Stage - Toutant-Beauregard Historic Corridor
The exceptional and historic rural atmosphere, vistas, waterways, wildlife, and natural features which are area treasures prompted the 82nd Texas legislature in 2011 to pass House Bill 1499, bestowing historic designation to the Scenic Loop, Boerne Stage, and Toutant Beauregard roads which intersect at this corner.
Entertainment & Sports
Scenic Loop Playground
Businessman E.N. Requa developed Scenic Loop Playground on 320 acres north of San Antonio as a rural recreational resort within easy commuting distance from the city. Requa intended the area to be used as a retreat from the stresses of modern life for middle class workers by offering recreational opportunities in a natural scenic setting along the convergence of Lee and Helotes Creeks.
History
Schulze-Schilo House
German Craftsman Carl Schulze (1861-1917) came to San Antonio in the late 1880s and, with his brother Otto, became one of the town's leading homebuilders. This house, built about 1891, served as a residence for Carl and his wife, Agathe (Sobeczek), until 1896. Later owners included Fritz and Laura Schilo, who in 1917 opened Schilo's delicatessen.
History
Scottish Rite Cathedral
Scottish Rite Masonry in San Antonio dates to 1912, when a charter was granted by the Soverign Grand Inspector General of Texas. The orgnization grew slowly until World War I, when many soldiers stationed in San Antonio became members. This site was purchased in 1919,and plans were made to erect a new temple. Construction began in 1922 on this structure. Completed two years later at a cost of $1.
History
Silvestre Revueltas
Mexico native Silvestre Revueltas (1899-1940) spent a short but prolific life as a violinist and composer. He came to San Antonio in 1926 and became concertmaster at the Aztec Theatre. He also performed and taught at the San Antonio College of Music.
History
Simona Smith Fisk
Daughter of Erastus "Deaf" Smith and wife of James Nathaniel Fisk. Born in San Antonio October 28, 1829 - Died November 11, 1890 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of de la Garza House, Gardens and Mint
Erected on this site in 1734 for prominent Bexar citizens Geronimo and Javiera Cantu de la Garza, the de la Garza family home was designed by Geronimo's brother-in-law Pedro Flores Valdez. The complex occupied an entire city block and was crafted with limestone and plaster walls three feet thick. Extensive gardens included cottonwood, pecan, fig and peach trees.
History
Site of Geier and Schmid Farm
This site was once the farm of German immigrants Martin Schmid and Wilhelm Geier. Wilhelm, his wife, Theodora, and their daughter, Johanna, immigrated to Texas from Wolfenbuettel, arriving at the Port of Galveston in 1849. They moved inland and settled first in New Braunfels, where Johanna Geier married Martin Schmid, from the state of Wuerttemberg, in 1854.
History
Site of Home (1850 to 1870) of Samuel Augustus Maverick
A native of South Carolina; came to San Antonio in 1835; was guide for Ben Milam and other leaders in first attack on San Antonio by Texas Army, Dec. 1835. As Bexar delegate, Maverick signed Texas Declaration of Independence at Washington-on-Brazos, 1836. With Capt.
History
Site of Old St. Mary's
After the Texas War for Independence, numerous immigrants, notably from Ireland, German, and the Eastern United States, arrived in San Antonio. The need to minister to these non-Hispanic Catholics prompted the Rt. Rev. John M. Odin, First Bishop of Galveston, to establish a separate church for them.
History
Site of Rincon/Douglass School
In the aftermath of the Civil War, the resolution of issues associated with education of newly freed slaves influenced the nature of Southern education well into the 20th century. The federal government established the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands to coordinate the transition from slavery to freedom.
History
Site of the Camp of Stephen F. Austin
Site of the camp of Stephen F. Austin (October 20-26, 1835) while assembling troops preparatory to the attack on the Mexican garrison at San Antonio * * After his appointment on November 12 as Commissioner to the United States, the Texans, under Colonels Ben Milam and Frank W. Johnson stormed and captured San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. Building
Announced as early as 1919, the Woodlawn Exchange of the Southwestern Telephone Company became operational at midnight on July 14, 1923. Serving growing residential areas of the city's north side, including the Alta Vista, Beacon Hill and Laurel Heights neighborhoods, its location within a mostly residential area made walking to work easy for employees in an era when most families were just…
History
Spanish and Mexican Land Grants
The Texas A&M University ' San Antonio campus site was built on land that once was conveyed by Spanish and Mexican land grants and traversed by several branches of El Camino Real de Tierra Afuera del Oriente (also known as El Camino Real de Los Tejas National Historic Trail).
Architecture
St. Anthony Catholic School
In early 1907, residents of the Laurel Heights area petitioned the Sisters of the Divine Providence, a French religious order, to open a neighborhood school. The order already operated four local schools and many more throughout Texas and adjoining states. In April 1907, the sisters purchased land from Eleanor Stribling. Sisters St.
History
St. John's Lutheran Church, "the Rooster Church"
The 64 charter members of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church included families who migrated to Texas from Germany in the 1840s. Organized on Dec. 26, 1857, by the Rev. Phillips F.Zizelmann (1824-1902), a native of Wurttemberg, Germany, this was the first Lutheran Congregation in the San Antonio area. Worship services were originally held in a schoolhouse.
History
St. Paul's Epsicopal Church
Formed in 1883 to serve the Fort Sam Houston community, St. Paul's parish at once made plans for this edifice. The Rt. Rev. R.W. B. Elliott, first Bishop of the Missionary district of west Texas, donated the site. Miss Mary Coles of Philadelphia, PA., added funds to local subscriptions and hired the architect.
History
St. Philip's College (original site)
Opening at this site in 1898 as "St. Philip's Saturday evening sewing class for black girls", this college was found by the Rt. Rev.James Steptoe Johnston (1843-1924), Episcopal Bishop of western Texas, who considered education a tool toward solving race problems. Soon coeducatinal and in a brick building of its own, it was renamed St. Philip's industrial school, and was taught by Mrs. Alice G.
History
Station "X"
During World War II, British officials were increasingly concerned with the large-scale need to maintain and repair the Royal Air Force's American-built aircraft. In April 1942, the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF) chose the existing Burtonwood Repair Depot (BRD) in England to be used as a centralized repair facility until the Eighth Air Force firmly established itself in the United Kingdom.
Architecture
Stevens Building
One of the finest remaining structures in San Antonio's late 19th-century commercial district, this building was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by James Riely Gordon (1864-1937) and was completed in 1891. Over the years the first floor has housed dry goods and furniture stores.
History
Stinson Airport
Established by the Stinson family of aviation pioneers, Stinson Airport has witnessed the history of aviation from barnstormers to jets. Alabama native Katherine Stinson (1891-1977), hoping to win prize money to finance her musical education, convinced famed flight instructor Max Lillie of Chicago to take her on as a student in 1912. She became the fourth licensed woman pilot in the U. S.
History
Sunshine Ranch
SUNSHINE RANCH FOR 50 YEARS, THIS WAS THE LOCATION OF THE SUNSHINE RANCH, WHICH WAS PARTICULARLY KNOWN FOR ITS MILK PRODUCTION BUSINESS. IN 1905, WILLIE MAVERICK GAVE 173 ACRES OF LAND ALONG BABCOCK ROAD TO ALBERT (HIS NEPHEW) AND JANE (MAURY) MAVERICK. JANE NAMED THE PROPERTY SUNSHINE RANCH AND THEY BUILT A HOME DESIGNED BY NOTED ARCHITECT ALFRED GILES ATOP THE HILL ON SUNSHINE RANCH ROAD.
History
Surrender of Federal Forces by General David E. Twiggs
Brought about a Texas moved to expel 2600 federal troops- a step necessary after secession. Frontier fighter Ben McCulloch with 400 volunteers forced surrender negotiated at headquarters of Gen. Twiggs a block and a half from here, by 4 representatives of the Texas Committee on public safety. Talks began Feb. 8, 1861; were stalled by Feb. 15.