History
Ursuline Convent and Academy
At the urging of Bishop Jean-Marie Odin and with help from Father Claude Dubuis, seven French Ursuline nuns opened San Antonio's first school for girls here in 1851. The original academy building, designed by architect François Giraud, was later joined by other buildings as the academy expanded.
History
Venustiano Carranza in San Antonio
Venustiano Carranza (1859-1920) was one of the early leaders of the Mexican Revolution and ultimately became president of his country. In 1898, during the presidency of Porfirio Díaz, Carranza represented the State of Coahuila as a federal senator. He became disillusioned with Díaz' oppressive rule, and in 1910 endorsed Francisco I.
History
Vicinity of the Storming of Bexar
(December 5-9, 1835) First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans,and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. Milam attacked 1,200 Mexican troops commanded by Gen. Martin P. de Cos defending San Antonio, then known as Bexar.
History
W. B. Teagarden House
This residence was built in 1903 for the William Joske family. The most prominent subsequent owner was William Baker Teagarden (1854-1933). He was an attorney, judge and representative of the Southern Pacific Railroad for many years.
History
Wesley Peacock House
Erected as a two-story home in 1890, this structure was the original building of Peacock School for boys, founded in 1894 by Wesley Peacock (1865-1941). Military training was initiated in 1900. Chartered in 1904, it became a distinguished school with High Academic standards. Peacock's two sons, Wesley, Jr., and Donald, took charge in 1926 of the Peacock Military Academy.
History
Westside Black Enclaves
San Antonio's black population can be traced back to the city's earliest days. Presidial soldiers included many of African and American Indian ancestry. Later, Canary Islanders would bring their North African Berber culture with them. In 1876, out of a population of 17,214, some 2,075 citizens were recorded as 'African.
History
William and Mary Ann Richter House
La Villita neighborhood reflects the influence of immigrants as San Antonio grew, from Spanish settlers in the late 1760s, to German, Swiss and French families coming in the 1840s. Records indicate William and Mary Ann (Mozer) Richter, both German immigrants, built their home here in 1868-69, reportedly for access to leeches in the acequia, or irrigation ditch.
Architecture
Wolfson House
Fine example of late Victorian architecture. Built 1888-1889 as residence by a leading post-civil war San Antonio merchant, Saul Wolfson (1830-1923). Constructed of brick with quoined stone corners, ornate carved stone pediments.
History
Zambrano House
18th Century rammed earth style home built by Macario Zambrano, early landowner. One Son, Juan Manuel, in 1811 put down casas rebellion and restored Spanish Rule in Texas; again fought foes of Spain in 1813 battle of Medina River. Other sons were Jose Maria, "First Alcalde and Judge; and Jose Dario; Parish priest at San Fernando Cathedral during the Texas War for Independence.
History
Zero Milestone_Old Spanish Trail
Zero milestone Old Spanish Trail St. Augustine Pensacola - Mobile New Orleans - Houston San Antonio El Paso - Tucson - Yuma San Diego Dedicated By Governor Pat M. Neff March 27, 1924 Erected by The San Antonio City Federation of Women's Clubs Mrs. J. K. Beretta, President