History
Old S. J. Brooks Home
Built about 1890, this stately late Victorian house combines various influences and styles. The architect was M. T. Eckles, and builder was T. R. Hertzberg, a local businessman. In 1909 Judge Sidney J. Brooks, noted lawyer and first judge of 57th District Court, bought this house. His son Sidney, Jr., (1895-1917), was one of the first U.S. cadets killed training for World War I duty.
Architecture
Old San Antonio National Bank Building
This structure was built to house the San Antonio National Bank, organized by George W. Brackenridge and others in 1866 as the first federally chartered banking institution in the city. Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, A New York architect, designed the building using limestone mined from area Quarries. Completed in 1886, it served as the fourth structure for the bank.
History
Old San Pedro Springs
Old San Pedro Springs--near this site--noted camping spot 5 miles from city. Used by U.S. Army, Mexican War, 1846-48. Often scene of summer picnics and political speeches, 1850's. On surrender to confederate Texas of all federal troops in state, it was site of prisoner of war camp for a short time. For Quarters, prisoners built dugouts and brush arbors.
History
Old St. Mary's College
(1852 ' 1966) Established in 1852 in frontier San Antonio by 4 members of the Society of Mary: Brothers Andrew Edel, John Baptist Laignous, Nicholas Koening, and Xavier Mauclerc--all natives of France. Construction of this building began in fall, 1852, and its doors opened March 1, 1853, to more than 100 students of all creeds. Structure then had 4 rooms.
History
Oscar and Rachel Berman House
Jewish-Russian immigrant Oscar Berman was in Texas by the 1880s. He wed Rachel "Ray" Finklestein c. 1890 and became a businessman in Luling, Caldwell County, parterning with Getzel Zadek. They later opened a wholesale liquor business in San Antonio. With Prohibition in 1918, they branched into other businesses, including loans.
History
Otto Koehler House
Built in 1901 for German immigrant Otto Koehler (1855-1914), this home was among the first in this area. Koehler, president of the Pearl Brewing Company, employed local architect Carl Von Seutter to design the home.
History
Pan American Round Table
Mrs. Florence Terry Griswold (1875-1941), a native Texan reared along the Mexican border, provided aid to refugees of Mexico's 1910 revolution. On October 16, 1916, she and 21 friends met at the historic Menger Hotel to found the Pan American Round Table, a union of women dedicated to mutual knowledge, understanding and friendship among women of the Western Hemisphere.
History
Petty House
San Antonio in the late 1800s was a city quickly changing from a frontier town to a metropolis, soon to become the largest city in Texas, a claim it held for three decades. Mary Francis Drake (1848-1915) arrived in San Antonio in 1890 with her two youngest children and began purchasing property, including this lot along the San Antonio River, an area known as Milam Bend near the Crystal Ice &…
Military
Plaza De Armas (Military Plaza)
One of oldest permanently settled locals in Texas, this area was first explored by Spaniards in 1691. The Presidio (Fort) of Bexar was relocated here in 172 and for many years, Plaza was enclosed on three sides by adobe fortifications. During Mexican rebellion of 1813, captured rebels were placed in Comandancie (now old Governer's Palace) and alter executed on Plaza.
Industry & Science
Portland Cement Plants
This is the site of the first Portland Cement Plant west of Mississippi River and the second plant in the United States. The company was incorporated January 15, 1880, under the name of Alamo Roman and Portland Cement Company. Cement manufactured here was used in building the State Capitol in Austin, the material at this site was exhausted and the operations of the plant discontinued in 1907. Mrs.
History
Protestant Home for Destitute Children
Organized in 1886 as the San Antonio Home for Destitute Children, the Protestant Home for Destitute Children moved into this building in December 1890. The orphanage continued in operation at this site until 1926, when it relocated to larger facilities.
Industry & Science
R. L. White Ranch
Ryall Luther White (1878-1962) was born in Jasper, Texas to John Luther Calvin White and Texanna Priscilla Ryall White. He married his wife, Ethel Gertrude Smyth, in 1907 and began working for his father-in-law as the manager of the Uvalde Rock Asphalt Company. In 1920, he resigned to open his own paving company, the Alamo Paving Company, in San Antonio paving exclusively with rock asphalt.
History
Rambie-Lewis Family Cemetery
This family cemetery, consisting of three graves, is a physical reminder of the hardships faced by 19th century pioneer families. Aaron Rambie, a Pennsylvania native who came to Texas about 1848, married a neighbor, Ginsey Ann Lewis, In 1854. When Ginsey died in 1862 at the age of twenty-seven, she was buried here on land owned by her father, Levi Lewis, Jr.
History
Rechel-Stumpf House
Built about 1880 by Ernst Rechel, pioneer music teacher. Restored by Dr. and Mrs. Franz Stumpf. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Robert B. Evans Home
Built in 1882 of stone from Buda (45 mi. NE). On east side is an 1865 smokehouse. Evans (1821-1905) left his native Tennessee in 1847; went to California in 1849, where he panned enough gold to buy this land, 1865. He and his wife Rebecca (Murchison) reared nine children here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
History
Route of El Camino Real
The main thoroughfare of early Texas, The Camino Real, or "King's Highway", followed ancient Indian and buffalo trail. It stretched 1,000 miles from Mexico to present Louisiana. Domingo Teran de los Rios, first Governor of Texas, blessed the central section of the road in 1691. Called the "Trail of the Padres", it linked Monclova, Mexico, with the Spanish Missions of East Texas.
Architecture
Roy and Madge Hearne House
The arrival of the railroad in 1877 led to construction of new residential developments, including this neighborhood overlooking town near San Pedro Springs. W. McLeroy 'Roy' Hearne (1873-1917), a cotton broker, and his wife, Madge Houston Williams (1871-1955), granddaughter of Sam Houston, purchased property on French Place in 1910. They chose architect Atlee B.
History
Ruiz-Herrera Cemetery
Started in 1840's; still used by founding families. Graves include those of Texas patriots Francisco Antonio Ruiz, 1836 acting mayor, whose father and uncle signed Declaration of Independence; and Blas Herrera, who alerted the Alamo defenders to Santa Anna's approach. (1967)
History
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Established on what was a part of the Alamo lands, Saint Mark's Espicopal Church traces its history to Trinity Church, a mission established in 1850 and disbanded in 1858. Saint Mark's Church was organized in 1858 with the Rev. Lucius H. Jones as first rector. Church construction began in December 1859. Col. Robert E. Lee, stationed in San Antonio at that time, was a leader in parish activities.
History
Salado Valley
Because of fertile soil and abundant water, was a favored dwelling place and hunting ground for south Texas Indian tribes in Pre-Columbian times. In 1709 Spanish explorers discovered and named Salado Creek; soon after, this valley beame a well-known resting and watering spot between San Antonio and all points east.
History
San Antonio Casino Club Building
The exclusive Casino Club was organized in 1854 by San Antonio Germans. In 1881 the San Antonio Club was established for literary purpose. The institutions merged in 1925 to form San Antonio Casino Club. This building, completed in 1927 with its distinctive tiered dome, became a downtown landmark. It boasted club rooms, dining rooms, dormitories, and a ballroom.
History
San Antonio High School
The first public secondary school in the city, San Antonio High School opened in September 1879 with one teacher, F.M. Halbedl. Classes were initially held in the Fireman's Hall on Broadway. Following several moves, a school building was constructed at this site in 1882 on land owned by the city. The first graduates, three girls, received their diplomas in February of that year.
History
San Antonio Mutual Aid Association
Organized Nov. 1862. By Act of Texas Legislature, incorporated 1863. Had store at his site. Its $44,000 capital included $8,000 subscribed by the city for its needy and for families of confederates away in the Civil War. Aim of group was to keep down costs on necessities; Candles, flour, cloth, shoes, coffee. Help was given to 10,000 people. To obtain goods, cotton had to be sold in Mexico.
History
San Antonio Section, National Council of Jewish Women
On May 13, 1907, the San Antonio Section of the National Council of Jewish Women was organized in the Menger Hotel. Anna Hertzberg was elected president by the 15 charter members. The council immediately became active in the development of social services in the city, establishing a night school to provide English instruction to adult immigrants and organizing projects to address such concerns as…
Architecture
San Francisco Di Paola Catholic Church
In 1926, at the request of the city's Italian Catholics, Dioscesan officials invited the Rev. Saverio Vecchio to preach a mission. A s a result, the congregation of San Francesco DI Paola was organized. Designed by Richard Vander Stratten and built by Luigi L.