History
Lockhill School
One of Texas' oldest public schools; operated continuously since 1868. Named in honor of Wm. J. Locke, who donated land. Originally school was held in a supply depot (1 mi. SW). School was named "Shavano" for some years. The present structure was built in 1923. SUPPLEMENTAL PLATE: Marker, gate structures, and archway moved from earlier site (1 mi. SW) in 1985.
History
Ludwig Mahncke
Ludwig Mahncke was born in Mecklenburg-Strelitz (now Germany) in 1846. Mahncke married Katarina (Kemp) in 1871 and the couple had two daughters. The family left Germany and arrived in the United States in 1882, settling in San Antonio shortly after. Mahncke became a well known hotelier and restaurateur, and he was a popular figure in San Antonio business and social circles.
Architecture
Majestic Theatre
Constructed in 1928 at a cost of $3,000,000, this structure was designed by John Ebersonf or Karl Hoblitzelle, owner of the interstate theatre chain. Chiefly Spanish Colonial Revival in design, its Eclectic features include paired columns supporting a full-width canopy; an elaborate Marquee; and ornate place courtyard interior.
Architecture
Marnoch Homestead
Scottish surgeon Dr. George Frederick Marnoch (1802-1870) purchased more than 1500 acres at this site in the fall of 1858. In January 1859, Marnoch commissioned famed San Antonio architect and builder John M. Fries to construct this house near Helotes Creek. Previously, Fries had designed the Menger Hotel and City Market House in San Antonio. Dr.
History
Maverick-Carter House
The three-story limestone Maverick-Carter house was constructed on the north side of San Antonio's central business district in 1893 for real estate developer William Harvey Maverick, son of Texas Declaration of Independence signer Samuel Augustus Maverick. When originally built, the home was situated on the banks of the San Antonio River, which was rechanneled for flood control purposes in 1920.
History
Menger Hotel
William A. (1827-1871) and Mary Menger, both born in Germany, opened a boarding house and brewery at this site in 1855, when most local buinesses were still clustered around Main Plaza and Military Plaza. The popularity of the boarding house led Menger to replace it with a two-story stone hotel erected at the corner of Blum and Alamo Plaza in 1859. Mary Menger sold the Hotel in 1881 to J.H.
History
Menger Hotel
Early San Antonio boarding house keeper, Wm. Menger in 1859 opened fine stone hotel, the "new" Menger, beside Alamo Plaza. To host Indians, presidents, poets, actors, generals, singers, public of the world. Served venison, quail, mutton, beef, soup made of San Antonio River turtles. Bar's vintages had ice imported by Gulf steamers and expressed to San Antonio in special wagons.
Industry & Science
Menger Soap Works
Johann Nicholas Menger (1807-1892), a native of Germany, came to Texas with the Castro Colony and moved to San Antonio in 1847. In 1850 he started a factory that supplied soap for much of the city and southwest Texas. By 1873, Menger had built this limestone structure, an important example of an early industial building, to house his soap works.
History
Mission San Francisco de la Espada (Mission St. Francis of the Sword)
Established in San Antonio in 1731. May have been named for statue of St. Francis in the chapel which, according to tradition, once grapsed a sword. One of the few missions near which descenants of the Indian converts and spaniards still live, Espada is considered by some to date back to Mission San Francisco De Los Tejas, founded in East Texas in 1690.
History
Mission San Francisco de la Espada Dam, Ditch and Aqueduct
Water was vital to the permanency of San Francisco de la Espada Mission, therefore Franciscan missionaries built a dam, irrigation ditch, and aqueduct. The 270 foot dam rose eight feet above a rock ledge crossing the San Antonio River, the lime salts of which gradually cemented gravel, rocks, and layers of brush which formed the dam, regarded as an engineering feat as it curved "the wrong way".
History
Mission San Franscico Xavier de Najera
Established in 1722. Its Indian neophytes, few in number, passed into the care of the missionaries at San Antonio de Valero in 1726. The land was later granted to the Mission Nuestra Senora De la Purisima Conception De Acunia. Reestablished in this vicinity in 1731.
History
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Founded in March, 1731, by Franciscan missionaries on the banks of the San Antonio River; Named for St. John of Capistrano, who in 1456 lead a European religious crusade that saved the city of Belgrade from infidels. Mission San Juan was a successor to Mission San Jose De Los Nazonis, established in 1716 in east Texas. It moved here due to the difficulty of defense.
Architecture
Monte Vista Historic District
One of several San Antonio suburbs created between 1890 and 1930, Monte Vista has retained much of its historic character from that time. City brewery president Otto Koehler, oilman Ed Galt, West Texas cattleman Alfred Gage, veterinary Surgeon J.G. Talcott, and former San Antonio mayor and New Deal Congressman Maury Maverick business and civic leaders who built their homes in this area.
History
Moos Homestead
1850. Built near Leon Creek headwaters by immigrant John Moos and bride Rosina. Of field stone, mortared with caliche; design typical of pioneer Texas Germans. Used as relay station for stagecoaches, San Antonio to El Paso and California. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Moses Austin
(Front) Born in Connecticut, October fourth 1761; moved to Philadephia in 1783. Thence to Virginia in 1785 and to Missouri in San Antonio on December 23, 1820. Died in Missouri June 10, 1821. (Right) Moses Austin here petitioned the Spanish authorties for the right to bring three-hundred families to Texas and returned to MIssouri to wait the answer.
History
Moses Lapham
Near here on October 20, 1838 Moses Lapham a veteran of San Jacinto, and three of his companions were killed by Indians, as were seven members of a rescue party on the following day Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Myra Lillian Davis Hemmings
(August 30, 1895 - December 8, 1968) African American educator, actress, and community activist Myra Hemmings was born in Gonzales, Texas to Henry and Susan (Dement) Davis. The family moved to San Antonio, where Myra graduated from Riverside High School in 1909. She attended Howard University in Washington, D.C., where on Jan.
History
Norton-Polk-Mathis House
This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio De Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. HOuse grew with additions of a second story, Victorian Gingerbread rear Gallery, and Italian Renaissance Revival Tower. Later owners were rancher Edwin Polk and renowned trail Bossa and cattleman Ike T. Pryor.
History
Noted Texas Soldier Col. Edward Miles
(Feb. 8, 1816 - Apr. 1, 1889) Came to Texas 1829. Served in battles of Anahuac and San Jacinto in Texas War for Independence and the Indian, Mexican and Civil Wars. Born Natchez, Miss. Married Mary Ann Sawyer, 1850. Prominent in civic and public affairs. Recorded, 1964.
History
O. Henry House
Typical of the homes of early German settlers, this two-room dwelling was built by John Kush about 1855. It originally stood on south Presa Street. It was occupied in 1895-96 by William Sidney Porter, who gained national renown as the short story writer O. Henry. Here he issued a weekly humourous newspaper, "The Rolling Stone".
Architecture
Old Edward Steves House
Excellent example of lavish Victorian architecture of late 1800s. Built in 1874 by German immigrant Edward Steves, founder of a family prominent in city financial and social circles. Stuccoed limestone exterior walls are 13" thick. The richly decorated front porch reflects skilled carpentry and millwork. Rain water once drained into a cistern from the Mansard roof.
Transport
Old Houston Road
Near this site. Link from Old Spanish Texas to Austin Colony and ports of Houston, Galveston. Vital to freight and passenger travel. In early days, numerous streams were forded or swum. It was common for a carriage to overturn in a river, uncommon for no one to be injured. Adults often rode horseback. Sleds and wagons hauled children, baggage.
History
Old Military Headquarters
In a 2-story stone building, afterwards a hotel, Vance House. Established as administrative offices for U.S. army during the Mexican War, 1846-1847. At this site on Feb. 16, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered $1,600,000 in Federal property to forces of Confederate Texas. For a year headquarters for Texas Military Affairs, which were later administered from Houston, Bonham and Shreveport.
History
Old Military Hospital
Operated at this site 1861-1865, as San Antonio was a hub of Civil War troops and supply. Drew casualties and the sick of frontier commands from the Red River to Rio Grande. In camps, farm boys took whooping cough, measles--from first exposure in their lives. Convalescents and volunteer local ladies were nurses. City homes sent in delicate foods; patients ate well.
History
Old Mill on the Pajalache Acequia
This mill built before 1824 on the Pajalache Acequia furnished food to early settlers and served as a resting place for travelers and Texas Soldiers en route to Bexar from the Missions.