History
Old Bastrop Academy Bell
Cast 1850. Bastrop ladies collected money, and bell was brought here in 1851 by steamer "Water Mockasin." In 1892, no longer used to summon school classes, it was placed in a cupola at the Methodist Church; since 1928, in this campanile. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Old Cornelson-Fehr House
Originated 1850 as frame cabin of John Cornelson. Enlarged after 1854 by Joe Fehr, who used brick from Lottmans' kiln, east of town. Texas Legislature in 1954 designated building and area an historic shrine of Texas. Now Bastrop County Museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Old Jenkins Home
Built about 1836 for Sarah Jenkins, whose first husband was scalped by Indians, her second killed at the Alamo. Home to 7 generations. Its men were at Battle of San Jacinto, the Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, and in the Texas Rangers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Old Red Rock Cemetery
The town of Red Rock grew at the crossing of the Austin - Port Lavaca Stagecoach Road (now FM 812) and the Bastrop - Gonzales Trail (now CR 229). In 1892 the town moved one mile east to the newly-laid railroad. This site, with more than 370 graves, is the burial place of pioneer settlers, including Texas trail drivers and veterans of the Texas Revolution, the Mexican War, and the Civil War.
History
P. O. Elzner House
A native of Germany who came to Bastrop in 1858, P. O. Elzner (1848-1918) erected this Victorian house after purchasing the property in 1878. The site overlooked the Colorado River docks where merchandise for Elzner's store was delivered. The residence, of Bastrop pine with Eastlake detailing on the curved porch, was enlarged by Elzner's son, Bruno A. Elzner (1879-1957).
History
Pfeiffer Home
A native of Bastrop, Joseph R. Pfeiffer (1876 - 1944) erected many homes and buildings in the town. He built this turn-of-the-century residence for his bride Freda (d. 1960) in 1901. Hoping to display his skill as a builder and attract future business, he made the house a showcase of fine materials and craftsmanship.
History
Pleasant Grove Cemetery
By 1860, a log structure near this site served as a school and church. In 1871, E.E. Smith sold land to trustees of the Pleasant Grove School. The farming and ranching settlement of Pleasant Grove grew, and by 1890, the school served 51 students; the community's cemetery developed nearby. Residents built a two-story Woodmen of the World lodge in 1908 and used the first floor as a school.
History
Primera Baptist Church
On March 1, 1903, Primera Iglesia Bautista organized as the culmination of mission work carried out by Primera Iglesia Bautista of Welder. By 1907, the congregation constructed their first church building, led by the Rev. Paul C.
History
R. L. Perkins Home
Boyhood home of Joseph L. Sayers, U. S. Congressman, Texas governor (1899 - 1903); chairman, Board of Regents, University of Texas. Built before 1851. Texas dog-trot style. Hand-pegged and grooved heart pine. Ell, porches, hall, bay window, 2nd story, stairs added later. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
Architecture
Rabb House
Virgil Sullivan Rabb, Jr. (1870-1943), came to Smithville in 1891 with his family when his father bought the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Rabb family had been in this area since receiving land grants in Fayette County in 1823. Rabb ran the lumber company for his father and became a prominent local citizen. In 1912, he and his wife, Lillian (McCollum) (d.
History
Richard J. and Annie Brieger House
Theodore and Mary Hasler, owners of a general merchandise store, hired architect Gus Brieger to build this house for their daughter Annie and her husband (Gus' brother) Richard J. Brieger. Built about 1910, the late Victorian Queen Anne style house was home to the Briegers and their five children, and often the setting of social gatherings.
History
Robert Love Reding
Army of Texas. Participated in the capture of Goliad, October 9, 1835. Signer of the Goliad Declaration of Independence. Born in Tennessee, 1810, died 1849.
History
Rock Front Saloon, 1870
Stagecoach stand, U. S. Post Office, early business house. Scene of revenge gunfight, 1883. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1963
History
Rockne
Beginning as a farming community, Rockne traces its roots to German settlers who came to the area in the 1840s. In November 1846, the Daniel and Mortiz Lehman families arrived at Indianola, Texas from Schlesien, Prussia. They soon settled in this vicinity on Walnut Creek. Later, Andreas and Franz Meuth arrived from Wurges, Germany and settled on Sandy Creek.
History
Rural Farms and Communities Before Camp Swift
As the United States prepared for the possibility of war in 1940, the government selected this area for establishment of what would be Camp Swift, a training and shipment facility. The federal government quickly acquired property, giving landowners 30 days to leave and move structures.
History
Samuel Wolfenberger
Born in Virginia 1804; came to Texas 1831. Died 1860. Fought under Lt. W. J. Russell at Velasco. Participated in the storming and capture of Bexar. Served with Colonel Robert M. Coleman's Rangers in 1836. His wife, Caroline, born 1806. Died 1873. Erected by the State of Texas 1956
History
Samuel Wolfenberger
(1804 - 1860) Early land grantee in this area. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Virginia. Came to Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1831 as a colonist of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas." Received a Spanish league of land (4,444 acres) here. Active in Texas Revolution, he took part in storming of Bexar in 1835; served with Robert Coleman's Rangers in 1836.
History
Site of Confederate Arms Factory
Established by N. B. Tanner in 1862 for the manufacture of guns and bayonets. Continued in operation until 1865. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of Col. Robert M.Coleman
(1799-1837) Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to Gen. Houston at San Jacinto Commander of a regiment of Rangers 1836-37 Here his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Coleman and son, Albert V. Coleman were killed by Indians and Thomas Coleman, aged five was captured February 18, 1839 Erected by the State of Texas 1936 [supplemental plate added 1968] Robert M.
History
Smithville
In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran de Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a ferry here on the Colorado River in 1836. Steamboats plied the river from 1845 to about 1865.
History
Stephen Scallorn
Maryland native Stephen Scallorn (1787-1887) lived in Kentucky and Tennessee, where he practiced medicine and was active in the Primitive Baptist Church, before moving to Texas. He was attracted to the Republic by the favorable accounts of his oldest son John Wesley Scallorn, who had served with the Texas Army at the Battle of San Jacinto.
History
The Bastrop Advertiser
In June 1852, Bastrop's Colorado Reveille Newspaper ended its brief run. In December of that year, William J. Cain, a young printer from Mississippi, bought the press and printing materials and started the Bastrop Advertiser. The newspaper began as a weekly publication from a shop on Main Street in March 1853. Thomas C. Cain took over the business when his brother retired, and his son, T.W.
History
The CCC at Bastrop State Park
President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the U. S. Congress, as part of the New Deal efforts to offer unemployed workers jobs on public projects, created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March 1933. Due to decades of lumbering activities, Bastrop County's "Lost Pines" forest was a prime candidate for the CCC's reforestation program and a logical site for the establishment of a park.
History
The Gotier Trace
Originated in 1820s. Crossed the present counties of Austin, Washington, Fayette, Lee, Bastrop; joined San Felipe, capital of Stephen F. Austin's colony, with Bastrop. Marked by James Gotier, a settler who (with several in his family) died in an Indian massacre near this trace in 1837.
History
Thomas H. Mays
Thomas H. Mays was born in 1802 in Virginia and emigrated to Texas from Tennessee in 1830. In 1834, he became Bastrop's first municipal surveyor and platted the city's new streets. Two years later, he was wounded in the leg at the Battle of San Jacinto while serving in the Texian Army with the "Mina Volunteers" led by Col. Edward Burleson.