History
Thomas Osborn
Veteran of the Texas War for Independence 1835-1836 Velasco, Gonzales, Bexar and Coleto Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Wallace - Holme House
Built about 1840 during the ownership of Dr. L. B. Harris, this house evolved over the years to meet the needs of its owners. It had assumed its basic appearance by 1887, and the wraparound porch with jigsawn trim was constructed about 1900. Owners and residents of the house have included Harriet and James P.
History
White - Turner House
John W. and Martha L. White had this late 19th-century Victorian home constructed in 1890 and lived here until 1894. Several families owned the house until 1901 when Nash Turner purchased it for his mother, Kate. Turner, an internationally recognized race horse trainer, lived here with his mother in 1920-21.
History
William Redfield
Star and Wreath A soldier in the Texas War for Independence, 1835 - 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
Architecture
Yerge-Hill Family Home
John C. Yerger, 1840 settler from Mississippi, and son-in-law, John W. Hill (1836 - 1928), native of Bastrop County, built this Colonial home, 1887. Moved family store also from Alum Creek to site of Smithville, laid out as a division point on M. K. & T. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Young School House and Cemetery
In 1872, area pioneer John P. Young (1829-1906) donated two acres of his land for a community school and cemetery. The earliest marked grave, that of W. T. Sanders, is dated 1874. Since then, the cemetery has been used primarily by area settlers and their descendants. Shortly after the land was donated, community leaders opened a five-month term school, which was named in honor of John Young.