Architecture
Governor Sayers House
This Greek Revival residence was constructed in 1868 by Joseph D. Sayers (1841-1929) for his bride Ada Walton. Sayers had moved to Texas from Mississippi with his father in 1851. After serving in the Civil War as a Confederate officer, he returned to Bastrop to teach school and practice law. An active political leader, Sayers was a state senator, lieutenant governor, and U. S.
History
Grassyville Cemetery
German immigrants settled the Grassyville community in the 1850s and organized a Methodist church. Many gravestones in this cemetery are lettered in German script. The two earliest burials, Auguste D. Hamff and Bertha Kunkel, are both dated 1871. Seven Confederate veterans who served in Creuzbaur's-Welhausen's battery during the Civil War (1861-1865) are buried in the 1.5-acre graveyard.
History
H. N. (Man) Bell
(Aug. 27, 1856 - Nov. 15, 1934) Born in Arkansas. Began work as peace officer, 1882, during infamous "wire cutter" activities (conflict between cattlemen who favored open range and those who bought and fenced land). With two terms as sheriff, gave over 21 years continuous service to Bastrop County. Recorded, 1968
History
Hartford Jenkins Home
Built 1906 by J. P. Fowler, Jr. Bought 1912 by Hartford and Beulah Alice (Hemphill) Jenkins, whose heirs still own house. Jenkins, the first county superintendent of schools, also was a county judge, commissioner, and clerk of district court. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971
History
Henry Mordorff
A San Jacinto veteran. Born 1817. Died March 20, 1870. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Hubbard - Trigg House
Built 1890 by Robert W. Hubbard, a Confederate veteran who fought in last battle of Civil war. Owned by Mrs. F. H. Birmingham, descendant. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1964.
History
John Herron
Star and Wreath A Mina volunteer in the Texas War for Independence; a San Jacinto veteran. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
John Holland Jenkins
Star and Wreath A young soldier in the Texas War for Independence during the San Jacinto campaign. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
John Socrates Darling
Born April 24, 1806; came to Texas in 1835. A soldier in the Texas War for Independence before and during the Siege of Bexar, 1835, and participated in the Battle of San Jacinto, 1836. Died April 6, 1870. His wife, Louranie Darling, born June 10, 1810; died June 8, 1870. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Jourdan Smith
(March 24, 1811 - March 30, 1873) Born in Georgia. Came to Texas to fight in revolution in 1836. Received 320 acres of land for service, plus one-third league headright, from the Republic of Texas. Worked as a carpenter and a professional builder. Married Frances Duckworth in 1843. Purchased a farm in Young's Prairie community, 1848, where he served as justice of the peace.
History
Jung - Pearcy House
1873 Built by Joe Jung, a Bohemian-Austrian-American. Has sun dried brick in original two rooms. Purchased by the Pearcy family, 1936. [Recorded Texas Historic Landmark] (1964)
Architecture
Kesselus Building
William Kesselus, a native of Germany, came to Bastrop in 1853 and established himself as a tailor. In 1891, this building was constructed to replace an earlier frame structure that had housed his shop. After Kesselus died in 1901, his son Will continued the business here until his death in 1919.
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road. Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A.D. 1918
History
Kleinert - Hoppe House
Located among a number of homes built in the 19th century by German immigrants to Bastrop, this house was built between 1887 and 1890 for Charles and Maria Kleinert. Fellow German immigrant and local innkeeper A. L. Hoppe bought the property in 1890, and it remained in his family until 1961.
Architecture
Kleinert Building
Prussian immigrant Carl Kleinert and his wife, Marie (Wilke), moved to Bastrop in the early 1860s. One of many early German merchants in Bastrop, Kleinert built his grocery and mercantile on this site in 1868.
History
Klockman - Elzner Home
Henry Klockman (1852-1897) and his wife bought this land in 1894 and built this home about 1895. Klockman operated a blacksmith shop until his death. His widow supported their son by taking in boarders. She sold the residence in 1910 to P. O. Elzner, Jr. After a fire in the spring of 1926, D. F. Holland purchased the property and the first remodeling was done.
History
Leah Moncure, P.E.
(June 7, 1904 - January 17, 1972) As the Texas Highway Department's first female engineer, Leah Moncure, P.E., broke barriers at a time when the engineering field was dominated by men. Leah was born in Bastrop to Cassius Lee (C.L.) Moncure, a Bastrop County Surveyor and a civil engineer, and Hattie Nuckols Moncure. The family moved into a house on Main Street in 1911.
Architecture
Leshikar House
This historic house was built for B.T. Smith in 1900 by Virgil Sullivan Rabb Jr. (1870-1943), one of the premier builders in the area. The home was designed in the Folk Victorian architectural style which features decorative detailing on the structure's eaves, brackets and crowns.
Nature
Lost Pines of Texas
Located 80 miles west of the main pine belt of Texas, these trees probably were once part of vast, prehistoric pine forests. As land areas gradually rose, possibly due to glacier activity, most of the forests moved east. Ideal local conditions have kept the Lost Pines intact. One of the first records of the trees was made in 1807 by Zebulon Pike, explorer for whom Pike's Peak was named.
History
Margaret Chambers Home
This Greek Revival residence was built in 1853 for Bartholomew Manlove (b. 1776), who was elected the first mayor of Bastrop two years later. In 1857, the property was sold to Margaret Chambers (d. 1897). Formerly married to Josiah Wilbarger (d. 1844), the well-known survivor of an 1833 Indian attack near Austin, she later wed Col. T. W. Chambers, a veteran of the Texas Revolution.
History
McDade
Laid out 1871; named for Jas. McDade, Brenham lawyer. Became a thriving town, important freight center and early-day stage stop. School-church was built 1872; vigilantes (organized 1883) lynched three men on Christmas Eve, causing a shoot-out next day at the Rock Saloon (now a museum). (1968) Incise in base: McDade was settled in 1869.
Architecture
Miller - Gillum House
Local contractor James Clinton Miller built this home in 1910. It was sold in 1923 to rancher and merchant Wallace R. Gillum, who also served as school board members, alderman, and mayor of Elgin. The eclectic Victorian-era residence exhibits elements of both the Queen Anne and colonial revival styles.
History
Mina Ward School
Bastrop was established as a Mexican municipality (later renamed Mina) in 1832. As in many Texas towns, early 20th century grade schools here were segregated into three campuses, with separate facilities for Mexican American, African American and Anglo American students.
History
Mrs. R. T. P. Allen
Resident of Bastrop County, 1857-1863. Wife of Col. Robert Thomas Pritchard Allen (1812-1888), graduate of West Point, Civil engineer, mathematics professor, Methodist preacher, U. S. mail agent and co-publisher "Pacific News," San Francisco, 1849-1850; founder and commandant of Kentucky Military Institute and of Bastrop Military Institute.
History
Nicholas W. Eastland
Born 1804 Came to Texas in 1834 A volunteer soldier in Captain Horton's company, Colonel Fannin's command, in the spring of 1836. He escaped capture in the Battle of Coleto. Died 1891. Erected by the State of Texas 1957