Architecture
Aldridge-Fitzwilliam Home
Built 1852 on part of league granted in 1831 by the Mexican government to Mozea Rousseau, a member of Austin's 2nd colony. First portion was erected by John Aldridge, farmer, whose family lived here until about 1865. The 2-story part was built about 1872 by J. W. Fitzwilliam, captain in Confederate army and plantation owner. House is called "Wexford" after town in Ireland where he was born.
History
Allen-Fowler House
The Bastrop Academy opened in 1851 with Prof. William J. Hancock of Aberdeen, Mississippi as headmaster. He arrived in early 1852 and built this house for his family and student boarders. The Academy became the Bastrop Military Institute in 1857, with Colonel R.T.P. Allen replacing Hancock. Col.
History
Alum Creek Cemetery
In the 1820s, several families answered Stephen F. Austin's call to settle this part of Texas, then a part of Mexico. The Cottle, Highsmith, Grimes, Craft, Ridgeway, White and Parks families were among those who arrived in this area from Missouri in 1828.
History
Antioch Cemetery
This cemetery is the only remaining physical evidence of a once thriving farming community. Originally located 1.25 miles northwest of here, it was in use before the Civil War. The cemetery and an associated church-school building were moved to this site on the Gotier Trace in 1882. The earliest marked grave, that of infant Benno Goerner, dates to that year.
History
B. D. Orgain House
This double-galleried Victorian residence was constructed in 1888 for Benjamin Darby Orgain (1843 - 1917), a prominent area banker, attorney, and civic leader. His wife Drucilla (Johnston) (d. 1931) was an assistant teacher in the local Colorado Institute. The exterior of their home features intricate detailing and fishscale shingling.
History
Baron de Bastrop Monument
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Enrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829. Pioneer Red River empresario, land commissioner of Austin's colony, member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. Through his aid, Moses Austin secured from the Spanish government in 1821, the first contract for the Anglo-American colonization of Texas.
History
Bastrop County
A part of Austin's grant in 1821; created the municipality of Mina, 1834; became the County of Mina in the Republic of Texas, 1836. Name changed to "Bastrop," December 18, 1837, in honor of Felipe Enrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829, land commissioner of Austin's Colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. Bastrop, the County Seat
History
Bastrop County Jail
Designed by Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, this building was erected in 1891-92 by contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnston. Red brick trim decorates the tan brick walls. A pressed metal cornice encircles the structure, and a mansard roof tops one end. Jailer's quarters were located on the first floor and cell blocks on the second and third, which appear to be one floor on the exterior.
Architecture
Brooks-Wilbarger House
Alexander M. and Althea Brooks built this Greek Revival style home of native cedar and pine by 1851. James Harvey and Dorothy (Olive) Wilbarger acquired the property in 1865. James, son of noted scalping victim Josiah Wilbarger, served as a teenager for the U.S.-Mexico War, mustering out as 4th corporal of his company of the Texas Mounted Volunteers.
History
Burger Home
Richard Burger imigrated from Germany about 1859 and served during the Civil War in Terry's Texas Rangers. He returned to Bastrop and bought this newly built (1868-69) Greek Revival home from Sallie and W. C. Powell. Burger married Clara Linke and had two children, Mina and August. Clara was skilled in German "hair art." Burger was a tailor and later a clerk at P. O. Elzner's store.
History
Campbell Taylor
Star and Wreath A Mina volunteer who fought for Texas Independence at San Jacinto, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Captain James Burleson
Chosen commissary by General Andrew Jackson, War of 1812. Edward Burleson, his son, accompanied him as bookkeeper. Participated in the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. Served under his son, Edward, Army of Texas in the Grass Fight, 1835. Born May 4, 1758; died January 3, 1836.
History
Captain John Campbell Hunt
A San Jacinto veteran, later a captain in the Army of Texas. Born in Alabama December 18, 1811, died September 17, 1840.
Architecture
Chancellor House
Prominent area land developer and merchant J. H. Chancellor (1876-1938) built this residence about 1909. The house was located in the center of Smithville's business district, near the railroad depot and several hotels. It exhibits Classical Revival (balustrade, stone lintels and sills, and 2-story fluted columns) and Romanesque (distinctive arched porch detail) style influences.
History
City of Elgin Centennial, 1872-1972
After Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through this area in 1871, town was platted (1872) and named for Robert M. Elgin (1825-1913), H. & T. C. land commissioner. Brick and tile, for which Elgin is widely known, have been chief products here since 1882 when Thomas O'Connor (1846-1937) made hand-molded, sun-dried brick. Other manufacturing and agricultural products bolster the economy.
History
Dr. I. B. Nofsinger House
Kentucky native I. B. Nofsinger (1864 - 1938) came to Texas at the age of 20 and taught school before returning to his home state to study medicine. He was a doctor in McDade (8 mi. E) prior to moving his practice here. In 1906 he and his wife Mary (McWilliams) (d. 1934), a pharmacist, built this home, which remained in their family until 1978.
History
Early History of the City of Bastrop
Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of "El Camino Real" (the King's Highway) were blazed, thus placing Bastrop on a major early travel artery. Because El Camino Real crossed the Colorado River here, this was a strategic spot.
History
Elgin
Founded 1871 when nearby pioneer Hogeye citizens moved townsite to newly completed Houston & Texas Central Railroad. Named for surveyor R. M. Elgin and known as "Brick Capital of the Southwest." Made handpressed brick as early as 1882. Area noted as agricultural center. (1967)
History
Elgin Lodge No. 328, A. F. & A. M.
Chartered June 18, 1870, as Perryville Lodge No. 328, at Perryville (or Hogeye), about 2.5 miles south of here. Removed to Elgin in 1877, lodge was renamed in 1901. Its first two Masonic halls were used jointly with public schools. McDade Lodge No. 664 merged with Elgin Lodge in 1934. (1972)
Architecture
Elgin Methodist Church
Organized in 1874 as the Elgin Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this was the first congregation started in the town of Elgin. A small frame sanctuary built here in 1882 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure. Built by local contractor J. C. Miller, it was completed in October 1906.
History
Fairview Cemetery
The City of Bastrop was first laid out between 1830 and 1832. Included in the initial community plat was a twelve-acre cemetery overlooking the colony. Tradition holds that the first known grave was that of Sarah Wells (d. 1831), a child of early colonist "Marty" Wells. The first marked grave is that of Crescentia Augusta Fischer (d.
History
Felipe Enrique Neri Baron de Bastrop
(1770-1829) Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In his honor this county and county seat have been named.
History
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Smithville
Formed in 1896, this congregation worshiped originally at Maney's Opera House and later shared the Cumberland Presbyterian facility. The Disciples erected this church structure in 1903. Builders were Chester H. Turney, a member of this fellowship, and his brother Major M. Turney, of the Presbyterian congregation. The building has a bell tower above the entrance vestibule.
History
First National Bank of Bastrop
First bank in county. In early days, money for safekeeping was placed with mercantile firms. Organized as "Bank of Bastrop County", in March 1889; became a national bank on Aug. 10, 1889. Presidents of this bank have been J. C. Buchanan, B. D. Orgain, W. A. McCord, W. B. Ransome, Earl C. Erhard and Gates B. Mack. Present structure built 1950, is on site of 1860's law office of Geo. W. Jones and J.
History
Governor J. D. Sayers
(September 23, 1841 - May 15, 1929) Joseph Draper Sayers moved to Bastrop with his father, Dr. David Sayers in 1851. His battlefield valor won him post of adjutant general of the Confederate Army in the Civil War. He married Ada Walton, and after Ada died, Orline (Lena) Walton. He was a Mason, a Methodist layman, a civic leader, and a lawyer. In 1873 he served as state senator from Bastrop.