History
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Lutheran missionary work in the Wichita Falls area was begun in 1886. This congregation was organized September 2, 1894, by the Rev. Robert L. Mehlhorn, first resident missionary. Worship services were held in private homes or borrowed facilities until the first church building was constructed at this site in 1904, during the pastorate of the Reverend G. A. Obenhaus. St.
Military
Tenth Cavalry Creek
First called Getty's Creek, this stream was renamed by cowboys and settlers who found near its mouth, on Red River, remains of a military outpost garrisoned by the U.S. Tenth Cavalry from 1873 to 1875. Most of the Negro soldiers and white officers stationed there had previously served in the Federal army during the Civil War (1861-1865) and at Fort Sill, in Indian Territory.
History
Texas Governor James V. Allred
From this courthouse, James V. Allred began his career that led to highest state office. As lawyer with firm of O'Neal and Martin, he won elections as district attorney in 1923 and Attorney General of Texas, 1931. Governor from 1935 to 1939, he corrected many social and economic ills, ushering in era of better government for state. In his last years, he was a federal judge.
Architecture
The Anderson House
This Victorian residence with distinctive second floor windows was designed by Wichita Falls architect Joseph C. Pate. Built for local businessman Guy Dewitt Anderson and his wife, it was completed in 1907. A noted civic leader, Mrs. Anderson also served as a commissioner for the Texas Centennial, 1936. Oilman W. E. Connors bought the house in 1918 and lived here until his death 20 years later.
History
The Old Buffalo Road
Named for its traffic in buffalo hides and bones, this north Texas road gave subsistence to pioneers while aiding in mass "harvest" of the American bison. As long as buffalo survived (providing food, shelter and clothing) the Indians were lords of the plains. Recognizing this, the authorities encouraged hunting. Harvested hides were taken to market over this road.
History
The Red River
Named for the red soil across which it flows, the main stream of the Red River is 1,360 miles long, and for 440 miles the river forms the Texas-Oklahoma boundary. For years, this was an international boundary. The 1819 treaty with Spain established the course of the Red River to the 100th meridian as part of the boundary between the United States and New Spain.
History
Thrift
(Ghost Townsite, 1.25 miles north) "Newtown", or "Thrift", originated about 1919 in the northwestern extension of the Burkburnett Oil Field. Early in its existence it gained prestige by the founding of a bank--the only one in the area at that time. Mostly a tent city, Thrift suffered many fires.
History
Times Publishing Company
Ed Howard, a pioneer area publisher, acquired a local newspaper in 1898. His "Weekly Times" became a daily afternoon paper in 1907, soon after several leading Wichita Falls businessmen established the Times Publishing Company to provide financial support for the operation. That same year Howard was joined in the business by Ben D.
History
Tom Lloyd Burnett
The son of noted rancher Burk Burnett, for whom the nearby town of Burkburnett (18 miles northeast) was named, Tom L. Burnett (b. 1871) became one of the leading area cattlemen. Trained on his father's 6666 (four sixes) Ranch, Tom later owned the local Triangle Ranch, as well as range land in Cottle and Foard counties.
Architecture
Tom Lloyd Burnett Home
Prominent cattleman and civic leader Tom Lloyd Burnet (b. 1871) had this house built in 1924. The colonial revival residence was designed by the Wichita Falls architectural firm of Voelcker and Dixon. After Burnett's death in 1938, the house became the residence of his cousin, rancher and civic leader Will Burnett, and his wife, Maggie (Denny).
History
Town of Iowa Park
One of many small towns that sprang up ahead of the railroads as they crossed Texas in the 1800s. Located on the Fort Worth and Denver City Line, this town was first named Daggett's Switch in 1885 for a prominent rancher and railroad official. F. W. & D. C. contractor Gen. G. M.
History
Van Dorn Trail
First important wagon road in Wichita County. Blazed by Brevet Major (later general) Earl Van Dorn in September 1858 with 200 men of the crack 2nd U.S. Cavalry. Just ahead of him went young L. S. "Sul" Ross (Governor of Texas 1887-91, and president of Texas A & M College, 1891-98) with 100 Indian scouts from the Brazos reservation. Loyal Tonkawa Chief Placido guided Ross and his party.
Architecture
Weeks Mansion
A lawyer who made a fortune during the oil boom in this area, Fred Weeks (1888-1977) erected this elegant home in 1924-26. Designed by Kansas City architect J. F. Louck, the mansion stood in the middle of a 13-acre landscaped tract. Local brick mason Walter McAbee laid the specially made Kansas bricks. The Weeks family often hosted musical recitals here. Two later owners, George F.
History
Wichita County
Formed from Young Land District; created February 1, 1858; organized June 21, 1882; named for the Wichita Indians who formerly resided here; county seat, Wichita Falls
Industry & Science
Wichita County Water Improvement District No. 2
Wichita County Water Improvement Districts No. 1 and No. 2 played major roles in the agricultural development of Wichita County. By 1900, Joseph Kemp, whose business activities were vital for the growth of Wichita Falls, developed plans for irrigation, leading to the construction of Lake Wichita. By 1914, Kemp and his brother-in-law, Frank Kell, filed a plat for irrigation subdivisions.
History
Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896
On the afternoon of February 25, 1896, two cowboys, Foster Crawford and Elmer "Kid" Lewis, robbed the City National Bank, then located at Ohio and 7th Street (2 blocks east). They killed cashier Frank Dorsey, took about $410 cash, and fled on horseback. A posse of citizens and Texas Rangers captured the pair that night hiding in a thicket outside of town.
History
Wichita Falls High School
Evolving out of three private schools founded in 1879, the first public school in Wichita Falls opened in 1880 in a log cabin. Five years later the former Wichita County Courthouse was relocated to Tenth and Scott streets for use as a school. The first Wichita Falls High School was built in 1890, and in 1892 the first graduating class, consisting of five students, received diplomas.
History
Wichita Falls Junior College
Although private junior colleges were operating in Texas before the 1900s, similar public institutions were not started until the 1920s. The first, Wichita Falls Junior College, began here in 1922, seven years before the adoption of related state legislation.
History
Wichita Falls Lodge No. 635 A.F. and A.M.
In November 1884 Masons living here who regularly made the 18-mile journey to Henrietta for meetings petitioned the Henrietta Masonic Lodge for a new lodge to be located in Wichita Falls. In December the Grand Lodge of Texas granted a dispensation for Wichita Lodge No. 635. The first meeting of Wichita Lodge was January 5, 1885, in the hayloft over Soule's livery stable.
History
Wichita Falls Opera House
The Wichita Falls Opera Company was formed in 1908 to establish a theater in the city. The first seven directors were C. W. Bean, N. Henderson, J. L. Jackson, Frank Kell, J. A. Kemp, W. M. McGregor, and T. R. T. Orth. The project was funded by public subscription and the land for the opera house was deeded by J. A. Kemp and Anderson Bean.
History
Wichita Falls Traction Company
This company, founded by Frank Kell and J. A. Kemp in 1909, played a major role in Wichita Falls growth during the early 20th century. After purchasing undeveloped land between the city limits and Lake Wichita, the company stimulated demand for it by building an electric streetcar system to the area.
Architecture
Wichita Falls Women's Forum
This building was constructed for members of the Wichita Falls Woman's Forum, organized in 1925. Designed by T. L. Sorey, it was completed in 1927 on land donated by the Hamilton-Martin Investment Company. Mediterranean influences include the use of arches, light brick, and a roof of multicolored clay tile. A major addition to the east side of the original structure was completed in 1960.
History
Zenobia Trimble
(May 14, 1881 -February 13, 1950) After growing up in an Alabama foster home, Zenobia Estelle married C. C. Trimble and came to Wichita Falls. They had two children. While her husband was principal of Booker T. Washington School, she taught and helped him begin science classes. She worked for 38 years at the "Colored Day Nursery" for children of working mothers. Mrs.