Architecture
Joe and Lois Perkins Estate
The Joe and Lois Perkins Estate is one of many surviving symbols of the legacy of the Perkins and Prothro families. The Tudor Revival home was designed by Fooshee and Cheek with a steep-pitched roof, arcaded loggias and steel casement windows. It was made of Oklahoma sandstone, wire cut brick, Siam imported shingles and steel casement wi[n]dows.
History
John Gerham Hardin
Pioneer settler, financier and philanthropist. Came to Texas in 1876 and to this area in 1879, living at first in a dugout. Operating a store and owning extensive lands, he amassed a fortune that he left as a rich legacy for Texas children.
History
John Hart Wilson
Entrepreneur John Hart Wilson was born in Pueblo, Colorado and grew up in Clarksburg, West Virginia. He graduated from Purdue University in 1914 with a degree in electrical engineering and joined the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He then worked in Toledo, Ohio, setting up electrical generating plants, before serving as an engineer during World War I.
History
Joseph Hudson Barwise
A native of Ohio, Joseph Hudson Barwise brought his family to Texas in 1877 and to Wichita County in 1880. An astute businessman and community leader, he earned the nickname "Father of Wichita Falls" after he donated land to the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway as an inducement for the building of a rail line through this area.
Industry & Science
Kadane Discovery Well
(About 700 Feet to the Southwest) Oil development in this part of Wichita County began in 1919 from shallow depths in the KMA Field. As the original wells went dry, and a severe national Depression blighted the country in the 1930s, the oil industry sought new production.
Transport
Kell Field Air Terminal
Known as "Little Adobe", this pueblo revival building was constructed in 1928 to serve as the air terminal for Kell Field, the first municipal airport for the city of Wichita Falls. In 1941 it was incorporated into Sheppard Field, a World War II Army Air Corps Training Center.
Civic & Local
Kemp Public Library
In the 1890s Flora Anderson Kemp (1861-1957) and other women in Wichita Falls circulated books among friends. After many attempts to begin a library, Mrs. Kemp in 1916 asked her husband, pioneer businessman Joseph Alexander Kemp (1861-1930), for a public library building as a Christmas gift. In 1918 Kemp presented the main structure of this building to the citizens of Wichita Falls.
Industry & Science
KMA Oilfield
Covering 135,000 acres and holding more than 3,000 wells, the KMA Oilfield has impacted the north Texas area since the early twentieth century. In January 1919, four local businessmen, Joseph A. Kemp (1861-1930), S.I. Munger (1855-1921), H.M. Munger (1854-1923) and Reece S.
Military
Lost Battalion
To the memory of those honored members of the Lost Battalion, native sons, members of the 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, 36th Infantry Division. On March 3, 1942, these gallant men were taken prisoner by the Japanese on Java, held captive for three and one half years. The living members were released September 2, 1945.
History
Midwestern University Desegregation
In 1948, Emzy Downing and James O. Chandler, both graduates from the African American high school in Wichita Falls, Booker T. Washington High School, applied for admission to Hardin Junior College, a division of Midwestern University. The Board of Trustees denied their admission. In 1950, with encouragement from local NAACP leader Professor C.E.
History
Near Homesite of Mabel Gilbert
(1797-1870) First permanent settler in this area. Born in Tennessee, he was a steamboat captain. Came to Texas 1837. Built mills and was first navigator of Trinity River headwaters. After filing for land in this vicinity in 1856, he built cabin near this spring and dug trench around homestead to keep out buffalo herds.
Industry & Science
Northwest Extension Oilfield
Oil exploration and production in this area was minimal until April 17, 1919, when the Bob Waggoner Well No. 1 blew in at 4,800 barrels per day. It was the first well in what became known as the Northwest Extension Oilfield, comprised of approximately 27 square miles on the former S. Burk Burnett Wild Horse Ranch. R.M.
History
O'Donohoe, John F.
Mississippi native John F. O' Donohoe (1885-1967) first came to Wichita Falls in 1909 as a scout for the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company, which later became the Gulf Oil Corporation While staying in the Jolene Hotel, the wildcatter O' Donohoe staked out the company's first lease in Clay County in what became knkown as the Petrolia Oilfield near Henrietta.
History
Ohio Street Bridge
Planning for construction of the first bridge at this site began soon after the organization of Wichita County in 1882. The structure was built by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and formally dedicated on July 4, 1886. This second span, located west of the original bridge, was completed in 1911.
History
Receiver Bridge
A natural border of the Louisiana Territory when it was acquired by the United States in 1803. The Red River later served as a boundary between the states of Texas and Oklahoma. The exact location for the line of separation was challenged in 1920 soon after an extension of the Burkburnett oil field led to increased drilling activity in the area, including the banks and the bed of the stream.
History
Riverside Cemetery
This municipal burial ground dates back to the early days of settlement in Wichita Falls. The area was sparsely settled before tracks of the Fort Worth aand Denver City Railroad reached here in September 182. Citizens received a state charter for the Wichita Falls Cemetery Association in April 1885. The following ear, R.E.
History
Samuel Burk Burnett
A native of Missouri, Samuel Burk Burnett came to Texas with his family soon after the Civil War. He married Ruth Loyd of Fort Worth in 1870, and in partnership with her father, Martin B. Loyd, established the famous Four Sixes (6666) Ranch in 1875. Burnett became one of the most influential ranchers in the state and a major business leader in Fort Worth.
Military
Sheppard Air Force Base
In July 1940, the U.S. Army Air Corps evaluated Call Field, a former World War I flight training base, as a potential site for a technical training school. That site was not available. However, Kell Field was a viable alternative and the local chamber of commerce led an effort to purchase tracts of land adjoining Kell Field.
History
Simon Peter Hawkins
(1849 - 1930) A pioneer leader in Wichita County, Simon Peter Hawkins was born in Crockett County, Tenn. He married Sara A. Hardin (1852-1937) in 1869. They had eight children. With his brother-in-law John G. Hardin, Hawkins moved his family to Johnson County, Texas, in 1875.
History
Site of Booker T. Washington High School
Records indicate that by 1886, when Cora Robinson was chosen as a teacher, Wichita County operated at least one school for African American students in the Wichita Falls area. Other early teachers included A.L. Hedrick and M.E. Hunter, and students attended classes at different times in facilities on Mill, Park and Sullivan streets. Walter Downing and C.C.
History
Site of Friberg School
Friberg School was created in 1895 to serve families in this area. By 1896 students attended classes in a granary owned by Will Friberg; the following year John Friberg donated land here and a 2-room schoolhouse was erected. The school also served as a community gathering place, and by 1922 increased enrollment led to the addition of a third room.
History
Site of St. James Hotel
Joseph Alexander Kemp (1861-1930), a Wichita Falls merchant, and Morris Lasker (1840-1916), a native of Prussia who later served as state senator from Galveston, formed a partnership in 1892 for the construction of a hotel at this site. Built by Myles O'Reilly, the three-story St. James Hotel was completed one year later and became the center of area social events.
History
Site of Valley View School
Area families established the Denny and Jones Dale schools in 1897. In 1918, the schools combined, and J.A. Kemp and R.S. Allen sold land to the trustees of Wichita County School District No. 6 at this site to build the Valley View School. The next year, oil discovered in the Kemp-Munger-Allen (KMA) field brought many new residents.
Industry & Science
Site of Wichita Valley Refinery and Texas Oklahoma Fair
Wichita County's first oil refinery was built in 1914 at Iowa Park by the Wichita Valley Refining Company. Established on a small scale, the company soon expanded and by 1918 owned 53 tank cars, had 12 miles of pipeline, and was producing 2,500 barrels of crude oil daily. The operation was sold in 1919 to Texhoma Refining Company.
History
Site of: The Antlers Hotel Fire of 1929
A three-story brick hotel building was constructed at this site in 1920 by the firm of Bachman and Goodwin. Originally known as the Argonne, the name was later changed to the Antlers Hotel when the structure was purchased by H. G. Karrenbrock. In the early morning hours of December 12, 1929, a fire broke out in the building.