History
Greenvine Schools
Public education in the rural community of Greenvine began in 1880, when the Greenvine School was established near this site. The students, predominantly German in descent and Lutheran and Baptist in faith, began attending classes taught in German at the Emmanuel Lutheran Church parsonage.
Architecture
Hasskarl House-"Far View"
Impressive views led Dr. Walter F. Hasskarl (1885-1965) to buy this site. Noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn designed and local contractor J. R. Nix built this house in 1925. It presents a blend of Prairie School influence (horizontal composition and broad eaves) and the classical style (arched loggia, terrace, and screenwork). Dr.
History
Hatfield Plantation
Built of brick, white pine and cedar by slave labor in 1853, for Basil M. Hatfield, a San Jacinto soldier whose steamboat plied the Brazos River. His Washington store building was used by the Republic of Texas for its meetings, and here was held its last inaugural ball. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
Henry V. and Rebecca Robertson Homestead
Tennessee native Henry Villars Robertson (1803-1856) first came to Texas in 1826 with his cousin, the Empresario Sterling Clack Robertson. He returned to Tennessee, where he married Rebecca Oldham (1805-1881) in 1828. Ten years later the couple, with their children and slaves, came to Texas and established a plantation at this site.
History
Hogan Funeral Home
In 1914, noted Texas educator Columbus H. Hogan became a founding partner in the Washington County Undertaking Co. on South Park Street in Brenham. It was then the only funeral home in the county for African Americans. Hogan later became sole proprietor and changed the name to Hogan Funeral Home.
History
Holly Oaks
Home of Dr. Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor (1791-1873). Here he resided for many years and here he died. Baylor University bears his name
History
Home Built in 1845 by General Jerome B. Robertson
Home built in 1845 by General Jerome B. Robertson (1815-1891). A captain in the army of the Republic of Texas 1836. A captain in the Somervell Expedition 1842. Representative and Senator in the Texas Legislature; Brigadier General of Hood's Brigade C.S.A. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Home of Dr. Asa Hoxey
Home of Dr. Asa Hoxey 1800-1863. Built in 1833 * Headquarters of many famous people during the early days of Texas Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Home of John Hoblett Seward
Home of John Hoblett Seward 1822-1892 and Laura Jane Roberts Seward 1838-1920. Built in 1855 of hand-sawed cedar. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Houston-Lea Family Cemetery
When the widow of Sam Houston died of yellow fever during the epidemic of 1867, the danger of contagion made it impossible to carry her to Huntsville for burial beside her husband. She lies here, with her mother, Mrs. Nancy Lea, near the sites of their last homes and the old church they both loved.
History
Independence
Local legend tells of Dr. Asa Hoxey who, celebrating the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836, moved to change the name of Coles Settlement to Independence. Actual county records show an 1835 origin for the town of Independence, with C. Baker, J. G. W. Pierson, A. F. Burchard, and R. Stevenson, proprietors. The still-strong Independence Baptist Church was established in 1839 with Pastor T. W.
History
Independence Postal Service
Until 1840, mail was carried by private conveyance--neighbors paying expenses of young man to travel by horse to Houston and bring mail for all; 1840 brought two stage routes giving weekly service. Postal service authorized in 1843; Moses Johnson appointed first Independence postmaster. During Civil War 10 (cent) stamps made by stamping with wood postmark; die carved by John McKnight.
Architecture
Jacob Haller House
Victorian architecture, with fine wood details. Hand-hewn local cedar was used in framing. Clapboard siding is of cypress. Built 1853 by Chappell Hill's first Postmaster; later the home of "country doctor" W. R. Campbell.
History
James Holt, Texas Ranger
Texas pioneer. Born in Georgia, he came to Texas about 1836. Was issued this 1,280-acre grant on Mill Creek by Republic of Texas Oct. 4, 1838. Was appointed postmaster of Vine Grove, 1851. His wife Mary became postmaster upon his death.
History
John McNeese Graveyard
Land here on La Bahia Road was in 1831 grant to brother-in-law and sister of Stephen F. Austin. It was bought by John McNeese (1789-1853), an 1835 settler from South Carolina, whose grave is here. Plot is set aside by deed covenants forever for McNeese family graves.
History
John Prince Coles
A native of North Carolina, John Prince Coles brought his family to Texas in 1821 with Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists. Arriving in present Washington County on New Year's Day in 1822, Coles received a Mexican land grant in 1824. He founded Coles Settlement, which was later renamed Independence.
Architecture
John Sterling Smith House
Originally built in 1855 as a one-story dog-trot structure, this house was purchased in 1873 by John Sterling and Claytonia Smith. Their son, John Sterling Smith, Jr., a community leader, businessman, and cotton farmer, had the home remodeled to its current Queen Anne style appearance in 1910. It is the last remaining house of its style in Chappell Hill.
History
John William Smith
Soldier in the army of the Republic. Member of Congress. First mayor of San Antonio. Born in Virginia, 1792. Died in Washington Texas, January 13, 1845
Architecture
Julius Yanch Home
Prime example of pioneer Texas architecture. Built for Yanch in 1854 by M. P. Munyan, contractor for many early Chappell Hill structures. Cedar construction with tongue and groove flooring; chimney, underground cistern of native limestone.
History
La Bahia Road
One of the first overland routes used by European explorers of Texas, La Bahia Road was originally an east-west Indian trail in southeastern Texas and Louisiana. Earlier it may have been an animal trail.
Military
Leander H. McNelly
Born in Virginia; was valiant Confederate soldier. In 1870, appointed one of four State Police captains by Gov. E. J. Davis. Then with Texas Rangers, McNelly was assigned a special force, "The Washington County Volunteer MiIitia," to mediate the Sutton-Taylor feud. Company then assigned to Rio Grande border to control international cattle thieves in "Las Cuevas War.
History
Liberty Community Cemetery
Tradition holds the first burials here were for enslaved Africans before the close of the Civil War in 1865; the first marked graves date to the late 1860s. When J.C. McCrocklin sold this site to the Colored People's Cemetery Association in 1907, the deed referred to a burial ground long used by local African American residents.
History
Live Oak Female Seminary
Founded in 1853 by Presbyterian minister James W. Miller (1815-1888), Live Oak Female Seminary provided educational opportunities to female boarding students and male and female day students until 1888. Miller's sister-in-law, Rebecca Stuart Red, was principal until 1875, when she opened Stuart Female Seminary in Austin.
History
Lockhart Plantation
Home built 1850 by Dr. John W. Lockhart, Chappell Hill physician and frequent host of Sam Houston. House is of cedar and black walnut hand-cut on rich 1,000-acre place that had its own blacksmith shop, cotton gin, store, other facilities. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Louis Lehmann House
This pioneer Berlin community home dates from the 1870s. German native Louis Lehmann, Sr. built the house for his wife Friederike (Clausmeier) and their children. Louis was a leader in Ebenezer Lutheran Church, swerved in the Confederate Army and was elected President of the local agricultural association in 1874.