History
Ludwig Lehmann Family Cemetery
Ludwig and Carolyn (Zeye) Lehmann sailed from Hamburg, Germany for Galveston in 1849 with their four sons and Ludwig's mother, Maria Theresa. The three-month trip was arduous; Maria Theresa died en route and was given a burial at sea. The Lehmanns bought land to farm here, and donated 11 acres for the Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Berlin community. Carolyn (d. 1853) and Ludwig (d.
History
Major William Edward Howth
Participated in the capture of San Antonio, 1835 and was a major in the Army of Texas, 1836; born in New York City Jan. 14, 1810; died Nov. 1, 1859.
History
Margaret Lea Houston Home
Gen. Sam Houston's widow, lived here with their 8 children, 1863-1867. House built in 1830s.
History
Margaret M. Lea Houston
Margaret Moffette Lea wife of Gen Sam Houston; April 11, 1819 - Dec. 3, 1867; and her mother Nancy Moffette Lea; May 1, 1780 - Feb. 7, 1864; women of character, culture and staunch devotion to their families and church, each in her own way greatly influenced the career of Sam Houston and the course of Texas history.
History
Milas Roberson "Burney" Parker
A native Texan and the grandson of a pioneer Nueces County sheriff, Milas Roberson "Burney" Parker grew up in Lee and Washington counties. He served as Washington County Road Superintendent for fourteen years before he was elected county treasurer in 1908. He resigned that office in 1914 to run for sheriff, a position he held during the difficult period of World War I and Prohibition.
History
Moses Austin Bryan
Grandson of Moses Austin, whose 1821 contract with Mexico opened Texas to Anglo-Americans. Moses Austin Bryan came to Texas in 1831; worked with his uncle, Stephen F. Austin; fought (1836) in Battle of San Jacinto; served as secretary, Republic of Texas Legation to United States, 1839; joined 1842 Somervell Expedition to resist Mexican aggressions in Texas; rose to major in Confederate army in…
History
Moses Baine
A native of Ireland, Moses Baine came to the United States in 1819. In 1830 Baine and his wife, Cecilia (Inglesby), joined Stephen F. Austin's colony at San Felipe. A veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, Baine established a permanent home near Brenham in 1837. He later participated in the Somervell Expedition as a member of the Republic of Texas army.
History
Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church
This historic church, the oldest African American Baptist congregation in Brenham and one of the first in Washington County, has its origins in secret meetings held by runaway slaves and freedmen in the 1850s. After the Civil War, federal troops posted near this site in an area called Camptown.
History
Mount Vernon
The rural settlement of Mount Vernon, named for the Virginia home of President George Washington, served as county seat of Washington County from 1841 to 1844. John Stamps (1798-1867), an early area settler, is credited with founding and naming the Mount Vernon community.
History
Mt. Zion Cemetery
This 5-acre cemetery is located on the league of land granted to Robert Clokey, of Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony, in 1831. First grave here was that of an infant, E. A. Metcalfe, who died Sept. 15, 1852. Some unmarked graves may date from a yellow fever epidemic that struck this area in 1867. The cemetery was probably named for the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, located here from 1857 to 1882.
History
Oak Hill Cemetery
In 1869, founders of the town of Burton designated 5.8 acres at this site for a burial tract. Mrs. John M. Burton, wife of the previous owner of the land, was buried here in 1871; her husband, in 1877. Civic leaders bought the tract in 1890, and chartered the Burton Cemetery Association. With a Ladies Auxiliary formed in 1900, the association governed the property for 50 years.
History
Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church
The Rev. Hugh Wilson (1794-1868) organized Prospect Presbyterian Church at this site in February 1839. Located on land included in a Mexican land grant to James F. and Emily Perry, it was the second Presbyterian church founded in Texas. Worship services were conducted in a log schoolhouse where in 1840 the first Presbytery (Brazos) of Texas was organized. The congregation's second pastor, The Rev.
History
Old Baylor Park
Under a charter issued in 1845 by the Republic of Texas, Baylor University was established on this site and operated here until its removal to Waco and Belton in 1886. Afterward the site was bought by John Thomas Hairston (1835-1918), a church leader in Independence for over 40 years. Passed to his son, the land was returned in 1933 to Baylor by Dr.
History
Old Independence Cemetery
A very old graveyard of Anglo-Texas. Started about 1823 on league of Judge J. P. Cole, one of the "Old 300" in the Austin Colony. A daughter, Madora Cole McCrocklin, gave the site. Many statesmen, educators, physicians, lawyers, war veterans and other "Old Texians" are buried here.
History
Old Rock Store
Town's early masonry store, built 1869 by merchant John E. Glass. Has thick sandstone walls, massive hand-hewn and pegged pine timbers, doors and window shutters made with square nails. Tenants have been grocers and the Chappell Hill Post Office.
Architecture
Pampell-Day Homestead
Built 1844. Native pine and sand brick. Hudson River style front wing added in 1875 by T. J. Pampell, Civil War veteran, owner of store and mule-drawn street cars. Home of Pampells and Days for 3 generations. Owned by Mrs. Edwina Day Hallstein.
Architecture
Permelia Haynie Home
Victorian house built on land deeded Permelia Haynie (Mrs. John Haynie) by sister and her husband. Framework is of hand-hewn cedar with square nails and wooden pegs. After 1900 storm and later, bay window, kitchen, and other rooms were added.
History
Pleasant Hill School
Originally the town of Krug, the community of Pleasant Hill is located in southernmost Washington County. As more settlers moved to the area, the need for schools emerged in rural parts of the county. Pleasant Hill School was located on two different sites, according to school records.
History
Prairie Lea Cemetery
Graves in this historic cemetery date from the 1840s, although trustees of the Brenham Cemetery Association did not formally set aside the property until 1871. It came into operation following concern the earlier Masonic Cemetery would soon reach capacity, given the large number of yellow fever victims in the late 1860s. Trustees purchased the initial 22.77 acres here from J.D. Giddings.
Architecture
Reue-Eickenhorst House
Reue-Eickenhorst House Wilhelm Reue grew up in the Sandy Hill area and married Alma Muegge from the William Penn Community in 1914. A year later, with a new daughter, the couple finished their home here near Prairie Hill. For decades the home was the site of community events, including parties, dances and meetings.
History
Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor (1793-1873)
R.E.B. Baylor, for whom Baylor University is named, was a prominent leader in diverse arenas of public service: military, judicial, political, educational, fraternal and religious. A Kentucky native, he served in the War of 1812 and the Creek Indian War, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
History
Robert Starke Armistead
(November 5, 1800 - June 14, 1866) Robert Starke Armistead and his wife Ann came to Texas from Alabama in 1835. He served in the Republic of Texas army in 1836 and with forces defending San Antonio during the Vasquez Invasion in 1842. When Baylor University was created in 1845, he was a charter trustee.
History
Robert Starke Armistead
(November 5, 1800 - June 14, 1866) A native of North Carolina, Robert Starke Armistead moved with his family to Alabama in 1818. He married Ann Sylvesta Carney in 1826 and they came to Texas in 1835. Armistead served in the Republic of Texas army in 1836 and with forces defending San Antonio during the Vasquez invasion in 1842. He was a charter trustee of Baylor University in 1845.
History
Rocky Hill School
A private school operated by the Methodist Church provided education for the children of the Rocky Hill community as early as 1867. A petition from area citizens resulted in the formation of a public school in 1883. Located on land owned by Henry Kruse, the school served the area until 1909, when a new building was erected at a site provided by Fritz Engelke.
History
Rosedale Nursery
Established around 1860 by English immigrant William H. Watson as the state's first commercial nursery, Rosedale grew from three acres in Brenham to 200 acres southeast of the town by 1897. At Rosedale, Watson specialized in peach and grape cultivars.