History
Chappell Hill Female College Bell
Chappell Hill Male and Female Institute (founded 1850) pioneered in higher learning in Texas. Under Methodist Church after 1854. Women's branch was chartered separately, 1856. Rebuilt after a fire in 1871; this bell, cast 1873, is only relic of the old college, closed in 1912.
History
Chappell Hill Masonic Cemetery
Opened as Masonic burial ground, 1853. Jacob Haller, founder of Chappell Hill, was first interment. Final resting place of pioneers, soldiers, statesmen, heroes of Texas. Until formation of cemetery association in 1965, cared for by Hubert Lodge No. 67, A.F.&A.M.
History
Christian Church Cemetery
This burial ground originally served the early residents of McClellan's Settlement, named for William B. McClellan who operated a store and gin here. A church, later called Bethany Christian Church, was organized at the McClellan Schoolhouse in 1876. Three years later a chapel was dedicated at this site. The church cemetery was first used in 1877 for the burial of George McCausland (b.
History
City of Brenham
Established in 1844; named in honor of Dr. Richard Fox Brenham; 1810-1843, surgeon in the army of the Republic of Texas; member of the Mier Expedition; killed at Salado, Mexico; February 11, 1843
History
Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University
Outgrowth of efforts of Judge R. E. B. Baylor and others; chartered by Republic of Texas on Feb. 1, 1845; opened 1846--Baylor is the oldest university in Texas operating under original name. Until moving (1886) to Belton and Waco, Baylor was located here for 40 years, under Presidents H. L. Graves, R. C. Burleson, G. W. Baines (whose great grandson, Lyndon Baines Johnson, became 36th U.S.
History
Davis Family
Renowned educators; family of The Rev. Abner Davis, founder (1827) of Shurtleff College, Alton, Ill. A daughter, Martha (d. 1896), joined the Baylor Female College staff with her husband, Horace Clark, in 1851. Baylor in a few years drew rest of family here: Marcia (Mrs. Abner) Davis (1794-1882); George B. Davis (1828-1906) and wife, Fannie Breedlove (1833-1915); Harriett L.
History
Dr. Horace G. Clark
Born in Massachusetts. Coming to Texas (1850) with wife, Martha Davis Clark, he was principal and second president of Baylor Female College. Mrs. Clark also taught and counseled students. Family operated dormitory on this site 20 years. Dr. Clark, with $1,000 gift from Dr. Asa Hoxey, built 3-story main hall. He was ordained to ministry (1858) at Independence Baptist Church.
History
Early Texas River Steamers
River-shipping efforts in pioneer Texas by steamboat were centered primarily on the Brazos (about 2 mi. E.), and Washington-on-the-Brazos (about 15 mi. N.) was an important distribution point for commercial interests. The Brazos flowed through most productive cotton and sugar region in Texas; steamers greatly aided shipment of these items to markets in New Orleans.
History
Eben-Ezer Evangelical Lutheran Church
Spiritual center of the Berlin community, which was settled by Germans in 1847. On a missionary visit, Dec. 24, 1854, The Rev. Johann Ebinger (1828-1908) of Harris County held earliest Lutheran service in Washington County. On July 1, 1855, he founded Eben-Ezer Church with William C. Bohne, F. H. Ehlert, F. F. Spreen and others as trustees. Ludwig C.
History
Evangelical Lutheran Colleges of Texas
The first Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Texas was organized in 1851 by eight pastors who would gather fellow-immigrants from Europe in congregations. Synod bought an existing campus at Rutersville in 1872 and operated her German-American College there until 1881 with Pastor H. Merz as president.
History
Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store
Chappell Hill began as an agricultural community in 1847 but had no bank until a population boom in the early 1900s brought wealth and economic prosperity. Farmers State Bank organized in March 1907 and opened in September of that year with J. J. Shaver as president. Alex Griffin of Brenham was awarded the contract for the construction of a fireproof building.
History
Female Department of Baylor University
On this site stood the Female Department of Baylor University incorporated under the laws of the Republic of Texas, February 1, 1845; Henry L. Graves, first president, was elected January 12, 1846; Preparatory Department for Boys and Girls was opened May 18, 1846 with H. F. Gillett as teacher; Rufus C.
History
First Public High School in Brenham
Established in Independent School District No. 1, in 1875. First free public high school in Texas to be set up under landmark school law of 1875. Nine grades were offered, with scientific or classical courses of study in high school. German was available for all grades. This building was erected in 1883, with 15-inch brick walls, cedar beams, and plaster mixed with cow hair.
History
Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings
A private firm; Brenham's first bank, founded 1866 by lawyer-brothers J. D. and D. C. Giddings. This building was erected 1872 for bank, with Brenham Chapter No. 5, Royal Arch Masons, owning third floor. Bank closed in 1945.
History
Gen. James Willie
Born in Georgia Jan. 5, 1822; died in Houston, Texas 1863; Attorney General of Texas 1856-7; officer in the Confederate army.
History
General Sam Houston
One and one-half miles south General Sam Houston was baptized by Rufus C. Burleson, Baptist minister and president of Baylor University, November 19, 1854 in Rocky Creek. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
George Campbell Childress Statue
Born in Nashville, Tennessee, January 8, 1804. Died in Galveston, Texas, October 6, 1841. Before coming to Texas in December 1835, he assisted in raising funds and securing volunteers for the Army of Texas; delegate from the Municipality of Milam to the Constitutional Convention held here from March 1 to 17, 1836, chairman of Committee of Five which drafted the Texas Declaration of Independence;…
History
George Washington Petty
A San Jacinto veteran; Born in Tennessee; April 7, 1812; Died July 27, 1901
History
Germania Mutual Aid Association
In 1894 Bartlett, Texas, merchant L. A. Niebuhr presented Waco attorney E. W. Hander with a plan to establish a farm mutual aid association to provide farmers insurance against losses due to fire, lightning, and storms. Hander initially dismissed Niebuhr's plan but in 1896 he agreed to draw up a constitution for the association.
Architecture
Giddings-Stone House
This house was completed in 1870 for prominent Brenham banker, lawyer, and landowner Jabez Giddings (1814-1878) (for whom Giddings, Texas, is named) and his wife Ann (1822-1902). It was later owned by their daughter, Mary Louise, and her husband, Heber Stone, the son of Galveston Mayor Dewitt Stone.
History
Giddings-Wilkin House
Jabez Deming Giddings (1814-1878) of Pennsylvania bought this land in 1837. A lawyer, businessman, and civic leader, he built this residence of hand-hewn cypress boards before his marriage in 1843 to Ann Tarver (1822-1907). An unusual rooftop reservoir held rainwater. Remodeled about 1870, the house was sold in 1871 to John B. Wilkin (1827-1913), whose family occupied it until 1942.
History
Gideon Lincecum
(1793 - 1874) As a boy Gideon Lincecum moved with his father to various frontier sites in his native Georgia and in Mississippi. It was during this time that he developed insights about natural habitats and cultivated an understanding of Indian culture which later characterized his various scientific and social achievements. He participated in the War of 1812, and in 1814 married Sarah Bryan.
History
Gideon Lincecum
(1793-1874) As a boy Gideon Lincecum moved with his family to various frontier sites in his native Georgia and in Mississippi. It was during this time that he developed insights about natural habitats and cultivated an understanding of Indian culture which later characterized his various scientific and social achievements. He participated in the War of 1812, and in 1814 married Sarah Bryan.
History
Glenblythe Plantation, Home of Thomas Affleck
In the 19th century, one of the world's foremost researcher-writers on agriculture and horticulture lived 1858-1868 on his 3,500-acre plantation (2 mi. S) of here, developing famous "central Texas nurseries" and experimental fields for new plant varieties. On this property gained recognition as one of earliest promoters and developers of conservation farming.
History
Greenvine Gas Discovery
(2 mi. Northwest) Apparently the first use in Texas of natural gas for fuel occurred in 1879 near here. William Seidel, a farmer, grist mill and cotton gin owner, and merchant, trying to dig a water well, struck gas at approximate depth of 106 feet. The gas was piped to a farmhouse nearby. Production of gas and oil has spread to 210 Texas counties; 27 pipeline companies export gas.