History
Mundt Place
Constructed 1871 as the Continental Hotel which operated until 1897. Bought by Prof. O.E. H. Mundt. Served as classroom building for his school, founded in 1893. School operated until 1904. In 1946, purchased from Mundt family by Post 4146, Veterans of Foreign Wars. (1966)
Architecture
Murphy Home
Built 1897 combining southern plantation and New England Saltbox styles of architecture. Home of prominent Nursery citizens R. S. Fowler, John M. Horton, E.S. Jennings, Louie Carpenter,and for many years, W.M Murphy, Sr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Noll School and Cemetery
Valentin Noll (1816-1882), a German immigrant, purchased land in the C.W. Vickery survey before 1860. In 1893 his eldest son Joseph (1848-1938) deeded two acres for a free community school, built with the help of Ben Arnold, Joseph Dentler, Otto Dentler, Fred Diebel and Joe Preiss.
Architecture
O'Connor-Proctor Building
Constructed in 1895, this 2-story commercial building was designed by Cuero architect Paul Helwig. It housed the offices of rancher Thomas M. O'Connor, a leading area businessman,and the legal firm of brothers Venable B. and Fred C. Proctor. It was later used for services of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1915-24, and housed army officers during World War II.
Architecture
Old Federal Building
This Italian Renaissance Revival building was constructed in 1911-13 to serve as the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse. Otto P. Kroeger and Company of San Antonio was the contractor, and James Knox Taylor served as the supervising architect. Federal offices were located here until they moved to a new site in 1961.
Architecture
Old L.D. Heaton Home
Built in 1887. Architecture is Southern Colonial, with lofty porch pillars and Georgian front entrance. Original owner was in a prominent firm, J.C.Heaton & Brothers, druggists here and Cuero. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
In 1872 the Rev. Jean Baptiste Teitien was appointed as an assistant pastor at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Victoria. There he realized the need for a separate parish to serve the area's German-speaking community. He received permission to begin a new church from the Rt. Rev.
History
Peter Underhay Pridham
(1812-July 3, 1853) Born on the Isle of Guernsey, Great Britain; moved to London at an early age. After marriage,he emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1832. Came to Texas in 1834, and settled on the San Jacinto River. Joined the Texas volunteers and fought in Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836.
History
Phillips-Sale House
New York native Alexander Hamilton Phillips (1804-1880) moved to Texas in 1837. He served in both the Congress of the Republic of Texas and the Legislature of the State of Texas. He moved his law practice to Victoria in the 1840s, and in 1851 hired local building contractor Richard Owens to build this house.
Architecture
Power Home
Built in 1894 for Edward Power, significant for its columns, wide porches, wood trim. Given in 1960 by Mrs. James Power, to the Daughters of the American Revolution, Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Architecture
Proctor House
A native of Victoria County, Venable Bland Proctor (1862-1936) joined his father's law firm in nearby DeWitt County in 1887. Proctor moved to Victoria in 1898 and purchased this piece of property in 1900. He soon had this Colonial Revival style home built for his wife Fannie Elizabeth (White), and their children.
History
Proctor-Vandenberge House
Landmark of famous 1840 Indian raid, when Hamilton Ledbetter, builder of first part of house, fought Comanches, and his family escaped death by flight. Size and style of house have been greatly enhanced by later owners: Judge A.H. Phillips (1844-71); Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice John Stayton (1871-88); lawyer Samuel B.
Architecture
Regan House
Dominick H. Regan (1842-1927) was an Irish immigrant, Union Civil War veteran, and merchant in Corpus Christi and Indianola. He married Mary Hogan (d. 1894) and they became the parents of 13 children. Regan expanded his general stores to Victoria, Cuero, and Texana, and had this house built in Indianola in 1883.
History
Robert H. and Pauline Clark House
Pennsylvania native Robert Clark (1818-1910) moved to Mississippi as a young man. A veteran of the Mexican War, in which he was severely wounded, he later moved to Brownsville and entered into a successful partnership with Charles Stillman. The two men eventually opened a cannery in Indianola (40 mi. SE). In 1870, Clark wed Pauline Shirkey Crocker (1846-1940).
Architecture
Robert L. Dabney House
Built in the late Victorian architectural style in 1897, this house was built for Robert Lewis Dabney (1820-1898) and Margaret Lavinia Morrison (d.1908). Rev. Dabney was a Presbyterian theologian, teacher, author and confederate veteran. In 1862, he became General 'Stonewall' Jackson's chief of staff.
History
Robert S. Weisiger
(Feb. 25, 1876-Jan. 19, 1950) Became Deputy Sheriff of Victoria County at 19; served as County Sheriff 1906-1920, 1928-1936. In early days he rode horseback to carry out duties. Brought suspects to trial in all major crimes of area. Helped quell 1917 riot of Camp Logan soldiers. (1968)
History
Saint Joseph Catholic Cemetery
A Catholic church and cemetery were established after 1873 at Gazeta (then 1.5 mi. W) on one acre of land deeded by parishioner Frank Garvel (1837-1921). In 1889 the congregation moved to the new railroad town of Inez, reconstructed their church building (2 blks. NE), and dedicated it to St. Joseph in 1890.
History
Shillerville Cemetery
The community of Shillerville began when several Czechosovakian families came to this area in 1894. Among the first settlers was Jan Shiller, for whom the farm community was named. The first burial, that of Rosalie Balcar Jirasek, took place in 1897 on land given by Josef Lesikar and wife, Terezie Marek Lesikar. The graveyard was originally known as the Lesikar or Bohemian Burial ground.
History
Sidney Roper Weisiger
(November 29, 1906-May 23, 1975) Born to a pioneer Victoria County family, Sidney R. Weisiger grew up with stories of the area's early history. After a term as county sheriff and naval service during World War II, he devoted the last years of his life to preserving Victoria's heritage. His "Vignettes of Old Victoria" and "Sidney's Journal" appeared in "The Victoria Advocate", 1971-1975.
History
Silvestre De Leon
(1802-1842) Son of the Empresario Martin de Leon, founder of the De Leon Colony and City of Victoria. Silverstre de Leon was active in the Catholic church, served alcade of Victoria, and had other commissions. An Indian fighter and soldier, he was taken prisoner by Mexican Army during Texas War for Independence. He owned and traded in vast herds of horses, mules, and cattle.
History
Site of Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
First established at Garcitas Creek by the Marques de Aguayo and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley in 1726. Maintained here by the Franciscan missionaries for the Christanizing and civilizing of the Jaraname and other Indians. Finally moved to present Goliad in 1749. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Round Top House
The Citadel of Victoria. Built before the year 1836 by Placido Benavides, son-in-law of Martin De Leon. The house served as a place of refuge for the citizens of Victoria during the Comanche raid of 1840. (1936)
Transport
Site of Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
The coming of the railroad to Victoria was an important part of the town's economic and social history. Although the first line reached Victoria by 1860, the railroad's major impact came after the end of the Civil War. In 1882, the proposed New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad completed a stretch of track from Rosenberg to Victoria and established its line headquarters here.
Architecture
St. Mary's Catholic Church
Present church built 1903-1904. Third building used by this congregation as a church since the colonization of Victoria in 1824 by Don Martin de Leon. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964.
History
The Victoria Advocate
The second oldest newspaper in continuous operation in Texas, the "Victoria Advocate" began as the weekly "Texan Advocate" in 1846. The first issue was published on May 8, 1846, the same day as the Battle of Palo Alto, first battle in the Mexican War. An extra edition was printed to inform local citizens of the event.