History
Fort St. Louis
Thirteen miles southeast of Inez is located the site of Fort St. Louis. First French settlement in Texas attempted by Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle in 1685. Devastated by the Karankawa Indians, burned by members of the Alonso De Leon Expedition in 1689.
Civic & Local
Fossati's Delicatessen
In 1882, Italian immigrant Fraschio ("Frank") N. Fossati (1852-1939) opened his first delicatesssen in Victoria at Juan Linn and Main streets. He had this building constructed in 1895 and moved the business to this site. One of the oldest remaining commercial structures in Victoria, it features double front doors with multi-light transoms.
History
Gilbert Onderdonk and Nursery, Texas
Pioneer horticulturist Gilbert Onderdonk (1829-1920) exhibited early talent in his native New York, developing new varieties of potatoes that earned him recognition when he was still a teenager. After graduating from the New York State Normal School in 1849, he sought a warmer climate due to health concerns and moved to Texas, arriving at the port of Indianola in 1851.
History
Goldman Ginnery
Adolph Goldman was born in Bremen, Germany in July 1836. At age seventeen, in 1853, he immigrated to New York City, where he worked as a clerk. He moved to New Orleans four years later and then to Goliad, Texas in 1859. There, he found work in a mercantile store. Following military service in the Civil War, Goldman moved to Victoria in 1865 and established his own mercantile firm.
History
Guadalupe River
Discovered in this vicinity on April 14, 1689 by Alonso de Leon. Named in honor of "Our Lady of Guadalupe" patron saint of Mexico. Here at a ford, used since Indian days, empresario Martin de Leon founded the town of Victoria in 1824. 1936
Entertainment & Sports
Hauschild Opera House
German native George Herman Hauschild (1839-1911) came to Victoria shortly after his marriage to Adele Luder in 1866. A prominent pioneer businessman, Hauschild opened an opera house here in 1894. The theatre, which occupied the top two floors, featured Vaudeville shows, plays, and silent movies. The lower floor of the building was occupied by Hauschild's Music Store, established in 1891 by H.J.
History
Henderson House
A native of Arkansas, John W. Henderson (1864-1947) became a prominent local businessman through his insurance company and his interests in ranching, farming and real estate. In 1909 he and his wife Minna Catherine (James) purchased this property. After moving the home of Dr. J.B. Ragland, which was located here, they had this Classical Revival residence constructed. Designed by Sam H.
Architecture
Hill-O'Connor-Howard House
This two-story brick residence was constructed in 1898-99 for attorney Joe L. Hill. In 1905 it was sold to Mary V. O'Connor, widow of prominent Victoria rancher Dennis O'Connor. During her family's ownership, the house was occupied by George Howard, bookkeeper for the extensive oil, ranching and banking enterprises of the O'Connor family.
History
Home County of William Pinckney McLean
(Member of the first Railroad Commission of Texas) A Victoria lawyer. Elected from this county, 1861, to state legislature. In U.S. Congress, 1872-1874. Appointed by Gov. James S. Hogg to newly-formed Commission, created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1895, transportation of petroleum became important to Texas railways.
History
Home of Empresario Martin De Leon
Born at Burgos, Mexico, 1765. Appointed Captain in the Spanish Army, 1790, for bravery displayed in Indian fighting. Received a grant in 1824 to settle 41 families in Texas. Established the town of Victoria. Received an additional grant in 1829 to settle 150 families. Died in Victoria, 1833. His colony was the only one in which Mexican customs and traditions prevailed. 1936
History
In Memory of Edward Conrad
Born in Pennsylvania in 1810. Came to Texas in 1835. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence March 2, 1836. Died in Victoria July 13, 1836 while an officer in the Army of the Republic of Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Infant Jesus of Prague Catholic Church
Built through the generosity of James A. and A. M. McFaddin in 1916, this church began as a mission of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Victoria. It was established to serve Catholics in the Marianna (later McFaddin) community, including workers on the McFaddin Ranch.
Architecture
J. Meredith Tatton House
J. Meredith Tatton (1901-1970), conservationist, composer, cattleman, and writer, was born in Leek, Staffordshire, England. In 1930, Tatton came to Texas and married Victoria native Virginia Drake Hallinan (1901-1993), a great-granddaughter of legendary cattleman Thomas O'Connor. The couple lived in England from 1932-36 before returning to make Victoria their home; they had one son.
Architecture
Jacob Fox House
This home was constructed in the early 1890s for Jacob Fox (1841-1914), a native of Alsace who earlier had built a cottin gin and grist mill on this block. A Confederate veteran, Fox was known in Victoria as a successful businessman, farmer, miller, and community leader.
Architecture
James A. McFaddin Home
Built 1890 of Florida pine and cypress; typical Victorian style. Home of James A. McFaddin (1840-1916), loyal citizen of Texas Republic and pioneer stockman. He married Margaret Virginia Coward in 1861 and served as an officer in the Confederate Army in the Civil War. Moved from Refugio to Victoria County 1876.
History
Joe F. and Amelia Jecker House
After Republic of Texas President Sam Houston granted the original land to the town of Victoria in December 1841, the Rev. William C. Blair bought several parcels of land in the community, including this one. Blair came from Natchez, Mississippi in 1838 and organized a Presbyterian church and Sabbath school across the street from this lot on what became known as Presbyterian Church Square.
History
John Howland Wood
Born in New York, John Howland Wood came to Texas in 1836 and fought in the Texas Revolution. After serving as quartermaster with the Texas Army in Victoria, he settled on a ranch at Black Point (now Bayside) in the 1840s. Wood supplied beef to the U.S. Army stationed at Corpus Christi under Gen. Zachary Taylor.
History
John J. Linn
John J. Linn, one of De Leon's colonists, merchant, alcalde, mayor, member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Born in Ireland June 19, 1798. Died in Victoria October 28, 1885. 1936
History
John Van Bibber
Served in the Texas War for Independence; escaped the Goliad Massacre, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Lorenzo Dow Heaton Home
The Lorenzo Dow Heaton House is located across the street from what was once Market Square. Lorenzo D. Heaton was born in 1839 in New York and came to Texas at the age of fifteen. His older brother, John, operated a drug store in Port Lavaca and L.D. worked as a clerk in the store. A third brother, David, came to Texas and opened and managed Heaton Bros. in Cuero. In 1870, L.D.
History
McFaddin Mercantile
The St. Louis, Brownsville,and Mexico Railroad built a line thorugh the McFaddin Ranch about 1900. The ranch settlement, temporarily renamed Marianna by the railroad, soon boasted a depot, post office, church, school, and several businesses, including this mercantile built in 1910. It was a community gathering place and briefly housed the post office.
History
McFaddin Post Office
The McFaddin Ranch settlement was renamed Marianna in 1906 by the St. Louis, Brownsville, & Mexico Railroad. A post office, opened in the Marberry and Stubblefield General Store in 1907, moved to the McFaddin Mercantile in 1911, and to this building in 1913. At the request of A.M. McFaddin, the name was changed back to McFaddin in 1923. Mail was delivered and sent out on the train until 1962.
Museums & Art
McNamara House
Built 1870's by W.J. McNamara, town council member and dealer in cotton, wool, hides. Rural Victorian Gothic architecture. Donated by McNamara- O'Connor family in 1959. Restored as Historical and Fine Arts Museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Memorial Square
Once the oldest public burial ground in Victoria, this square was laid in 1824 when Martin de Leon founded the town, then located in the Mexican State of "Coahuila and Texas". In early years the cemetery included the block to the east, and many Victoria pioneers were interred here. Burials of soldiers in the Texas Revolution took place in 1836 and later.
History
Mitchell School
The citizens of Victoria voted to establish an Independent School District in an 1898 election. Immediate plans called for the building of eight schools: four for Anglos and four for African Americans. In 1901 school trustees hired prominent local architect Jules Leffland to design two buildings,and this site was acquired for the first Anglo high school.