History
Near Site of Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria Mission
Third mission under this name founded in Texas. Established near here on the Nueces River in 1762 by Franciscan missionaries for the conversion of the Indians and protection of Spanish lands. Typical of many Spanish missions in Texas, Candelaria had twice moved closer to centers of civilization since its first founding in 1749 on the San Gabriel River.
History
Old Davenport Home
Originally an early settler's 1-room log house on the Dry Frio (1 mi. N), built in era of Lipan-Apache raids and infestation of this frontier by outlaws. Enlarged for his family of 12 by L. C. ("Clabe") Davenport, who moved here about 1884. Added were a second log room, a hall, stone rooms on rear.
History
Old Rock Store
Utopia's first building. Erected 1873 of native rock; for R. H. Kincheloe, owner; by Joe Hastler, stonemason. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
Old Waresville
First nonmilitary colony in Uvalde County, founded 1852 by Capt. William Ware, veteran of Battle of San Jacinto. Ware built first log cabin home (still standing). Other early settlers included Gideon Thompson, whose wife was first Anglo-American woman in Sabinal Canyon. Colony lost settlers in Indian Raids, 1856-1866.
History
Pat Garrett
Pioneer law officer Patrick F. Garrett, renowned for killing outlaw Billy the Kid in 1881, lived in a house at this site during his residence in Uvalde. He had come from Alabama to Texas in 1869; here he worked as a farmer, cowboy, and buffalo hunter. He served as sheriff in several cities and also dealt in ranching operations. He owned property here from 1891 to 1900.
History
Reading Wood Black
(1830-1867) On this site stood home and trading post of Reading Wood Black. Native of New Jersey, he settled in Texas, 1853, near Leona River where he was successful in many business ventures. Founded town of Uvalde; gave land for public school. Elected County Commissioner, 1856; State Representative, 1866. (1967)
History
Reading Wood Black
(Sept. 23, 1830 - Oct. 3, 1867) A native of New Jersey, Reading Wood Black founded the town of Encino (later renamed Uvalde) in 1855. The following year he was instrumental in the formation of Uvalde County. An active civic leader and supporter of education, Black served as county judge, county commissioner, and state representative.
History
Rice Hotel and Saddlery
This building, constructed in 1909-10, has long been a part of Uvalde's commercial development. The first floor originally was used for ice storage and a meat market. While the upper story served as a dance hall, private club, and Grand Jury room.
History
Sabinal
Named by Spanish for Rio Sabina and Cypress trees along river. Town founded in 1854 by Thomas B. Hammer who operated a stage shop and was first postmaster. Despite Indian depredations, town thrived as settlers built homes, and a railroad reached here in 1881. In 1906, town was incorporated. Telephone service started. City water works and volunteer fire department organized.
History
Silver Mine Pass
Named for silver mine opened near pass by Spaniards in 1700s or earlier. Ore was inferior, and mine was abandoned; but 14 shafts (some interconnecting) remain. Near the mine are remnants of a fortification made by 30 men under the leadership of James Bowie, later (1836) a hero of the siege to the Alamo.
History
Site of Camp Sabinal
Established July 12, 1856 by Capt. Albert G. Brackett, Second U. S. Cavalry as a protection to the San Antonio - El Paso Road and frontier settlers. Occupied by Federal troops until November 1856, later served as a Ranger camp.
Military
Site of Fort Inge
Established by Captain Sidney Burbank, First U. S. Infantry, March 13, 1849, on east bank of Leona River in Uvalde County. Named for Lieutenant Zebulon M. P. Inge, killed in Battle of Resaca de La Palma, May 9, 1846, in the Mexican War. Protected the southern Overland Mail route from Indian raids. Visited by Robert E. Lee, 1856.
Military
Site of Fort Inge
Established by Captain Sidney Burbank, first U. S. Infantry, on March 13, 1849. Named in honor of Lieutenant Zebulon M. P. Inge, who fell at Resaca de la Palma May 9, 1846. Protected the southern Overland Mail route from Indians raids. Federal troops, withdrawn in 1961, reoccupied the post from 1866 to February 28, 1869. Later a Texas Ranger camp.
History
Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria (2nd Marker)
First established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 on the San Gabriel River with the hope of civilizing and Christianizing the Coco, Mayene, Karankawa, Orcoquiza and other Indian tribes. Restablished under the same name on the San Marcos River in 1755. Removed to this site on the Nueces River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches in 1762. Abandoned in 1769.
History
The Ditch
Community established along waterway of Leona Irrigation and Agricultural Association, formed in 1874 by Greenville and W. B. Bowles, A. B. Dillard, Charles T. Rose, A. J. Spencer, and T. E. Taylor. Irrigation produced rich crops; many families settled here. A schoolhouse doubled as church and community center.
History
The Uvalde "Leader-News"
This newspaper succeeded earlier ones: The Uvalde "Hesperian" (founded 1879), "West Texan" (1884), The Uvalde "News" (1886), and The "Leader" of 1898. Harry P. Hornby (1876-1948), an Englishman, arrived in January 1898 and in three weeks launched The "Leader". Three years later this paper absorbed The "News" and took the present name. The "Leader-News" was sold in 1908 to Frank M.
History
Town of Knippa
Served by the Texas & New Orleans Railroad since 1882, this area was settled in 1887 by George Knippa. A freighter who worked between East Texas and Mexico, Knippa also encouraged many friends to move to the fertile land of this county. In 1899 gold-mining was tried here by an aged, white-bearded stranger known as Wilson.
Military
USS Uvalde
Constructed and commissioned by the U.S. Navy in 1944, the "USS Uvalde" was a C-2 type cargo ship named to honor former United States Vice-President John Nance Garner and the county of his residence. The "Uvalde" was built by the Moore Drydock Company of Oakland, California, with an overall length of 459 feet.
History
Utopia
After an 1886 Indian raid on their nearby Little Creek home, R. H. Kincheloe and family moved here, built a home and in 1873 a 2-story rock store. They platted town as "Montana", giving land for churches, school, and community square. Post office moved from Waresville in 1883. Methodists had church here before town was founded. Baptists organized their church in 1888.
History
Uvalde County
Created 1850. Named for canyon which in turn had been named for the Spanish Army Captain Juan de Ugalde, who fought and routed Indians here in 1790. Over the years, "Ugalde" became "Uvalde". Many cattle, sheep, goats are raised; and Uvalde honey is famous for its flavor. Noted for fine hunting and scenic drives. Historic sites marked include 3 old forts, 2 Spanish missions, a Ranger camp.
Architecture
Uvalde County Courthouse
Completed in 1928, this structure replaced Uvalde County's 1890 courthouse. The Commissioner's Court hired architect Henry T. Phelps, who had designed several other Texas courthouses, and prominent local builder M. H. Ryland to manage the construction project. The Neo-classical style courthouse is the fifth for Uvalde County, which was created in 1856.
History
Waresville Cemetery
The Waresville Cemetery is one of the last reminders of the Old Waresville Settlement on the Sabinal River established by Captain William Ware (1800-1853). Ware came to Texas in 1828 and first settled in Montgomery County. He fought for Texas independence at the Siege of Bexar and the Battle of San Jacinto.
History
William Ware
William Ware Capt. William Ware was born in 1800 to Joseph and Elizabeth Ware in Kentucky (Georgia in some sources). In 1828, he and his wife, Ann Murphy, and their three children moved to Montgomery County, Texas. From there, Ware raised a military company in 1835 and fought at the Siege of Bexar.