History
Benjamin F. Highsmith
Served in the Army of Texas, 1835-36 a Ranger under Capt. John C. Hays, a member of the Somervell Expedition, 1842 born in Missouri Sept. 11, 1817. Died Nov. 20, 1905. His wife, Elizabeth Turner Highsmith, born in Missouri March 22, 1836, died Oct. 7, 1900.
History
C.S.A. Saltpetre Mine
Important to Texas in waging the Civil War. Site of natural deposits of bat guano, worked in the 1860s to obtain the chief ingredient for gunpowder. Cave inhabited by bats, source of the guano, extends about 23 miles. One room in the great bat den is 585' x 325', and has a 45' ceiling. A narrow gauge railway with mule drawn cars was used in the digging.
History
Captain William Benson
Maryland native William Benson (b. 1837) came to Texas after graduating from college as a civil engineer. After settling in Brazoria County he became a teacher. During the Civil War he commanded a cavalry regiment as one of the youngest captains in the Confederacy. Benson later came to Uvalde, where he again taught school.
History
Captain William Ware
Who commanded the 2nd Company of the 2nd Regiment of San Jacinto..Born in Kentucky, January 15, 1800. Died March 9, 1853.
History
Chalk Bluff Indian Massacre
Here on May 29, 1861, two of southwest Texas' most feared Indian fighters were ambushed by a band of 20 hostile Indians. Henry Robinson-- tall and red-bearded-- was so well known to the tribes that they had painted his picture on a rock near the Llano River. He and his companion Henry Adams (also his daughter's fiance) were in route to Camp Wood when the attack came.
History
Church of the Ascension
Bishop W. P. Elliott held first Episcopal rites in Montell, 1890. Church was built with donations from friends throughout the world, under the leadership of the Rev. Richard Galbraith, who came from Ireland in 1883. The first service was held in this edifice Christmas Day, 1890. Services of Consecration by the Right Rev. J. S. Johnston, Bishop of West Texas, 1891. 1965
History
Civilian Conservation Corps at Garner State Park
During the Great Depression, the Emergency Conversation Work At created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and produced lasting landscape and construction projects across the U.S. Through the program, millions of young men obtained meaningful employment and training. The military-style discipline and order they experienced served many of them well during World War II.
History
Cline Community
Cline Community (1/2 mi. S. of this site) First settler, Celeste Pingenot came to this area in 1870. He built first house on south bank of Turkey Creek, 1871. Established stagecoach stand, store and inn; named it Wallace. He was first postmaster, commissioned, 1878. Community protected from Indians by small detachment of soldiers billeted at "The Spring," nearby.
History
Dry Frio Canyon
Area's first settlers--families of Louis Bohme, Charles Jones, Gus Heard, and Lawrence Pike Heard-- applied in 1875 in search of new frontiers and range lands. The first post office was called Heard, as was the first school, which opened in 1880. While digging a well in 1885, T. H. Hammer discovered area's mineral water which became famous for medicinal qualities.
History
Early Texas Wagon Yards
Places of shelter for drivers, teams and wagons. Here travelers could cook bacon, eggs, beans, coffee; talk with friends and strangers. For people from the country, a wagon yard was both a hotel and a social center. Unusually it was an open area flanked by a shed, stalls and feed rooms. It might cover a city block, and charges were 25 (cents) to $1.00 a day.
History
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
This church traces its origins to 1904 when nine charter members led by the Rev. Gottlieb Langner organized a congregation in Knippa. Services were held in the homes of its members, who were served by area pastors and traveling missionaries. George Knippa, for whom the town was named and a charter member of the church, died in 1905.
Military
Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A.
A major road west from San Antonio forked in the area of these forts. One road went toward El Paso, the other to the Rio Grande at Eagle Pass. Travelers heading west "put on their guns" in this region, the start of hostile Indian country, troops from these posts guarded against Indian raids, bandits from Mexico, and marauders. Fort Inge, 4.5 mi.
Military
General John R. Baylor
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas Republic 1839. Colorful Indian fighter. In War against Cherokees 1840. Member Texas Legislature 1853. Comanche agent 1855-57. Delegate from Weatherford, Secession Convention. Commanding detachment of Second Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied, took over supplies, Ft. Bliss. June 1861-- during campaign to extend Confederacy westward to the Pacific.
Entertainment & Sports
Grand Opera House
Staged outstanding musicals, dramas. Built 1891 by local men for professional troupes. Also scene of home talent plays, some directed by Ben K. Franklin, a former actor who settled here. Programs created social stir, with lavish dress and parties. Building has copper roof and corbeled bay window tower; had ornate stage and auditorium. Now owned by former U.S.
History
Home of Bertha Dalton
Built in 1893 by Clara Horner. Bought 1905 by James T. Dalton, a retired sea captain, whose daughter Bertha taught in the Texas schools for 56 years. At age 17 Miss Dalton began her career. She taught longest span, 1906-1954, in Uvalde, where she was high school principal 1917-1951. She also personally gave financial aid to help many students attend college.
History
In This Vicinity June 24, 1841, Captain John Coffee Hays
In this vicinity June 24, 1841, Captain John Coffee Hays and his Company of 12 Rangers assisted by thirty Mexicans under Captain Flores encountered ten Comanche Indians and killed eight and captured the other two and none of the Rangers were killed and but one wounded. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Joe A. Kelley Home
One of Utopia community's few pioneer homes still standing. Built in 1865 by Joe A. Kelley, member of pioneer family that came to Old Waresville in 1852. Kelley bought several thousand acres of land from Lusgarda Grandee; established ranch and constructed two-room house with two back shed rooms. Walls preserved with shiplap exterior, beaded ceilings inside.
History
John M. Davenport
(February 8, 1827 - October 28, 1859) Stock-raiser and captain of a company of volunteer Indian fighters. Killed near here by 30 Comanches. Inquest for him was first in area for Indian victim. Settlers and soldiers from Fort Inge trailed the band 200 miles. After battle, found Davenport's gun on one of the Indians. (1969)
History
John Nance Garner
Vice President of U.S. 1933-1941. Began career as Uvalde County Judge 1893-1896. Served in Texas Legislature 1898-1902; in U.S. Congress 1904-1932, where he was, in last term, Speaker of House of Representatives. Also an able trial lawyer, rancher, banker, and benefactor of Southwest Texas Junior College. Married Ettie Rheiner. Had a son, Tully; one grandchild, Genevieve G. Currie.
History
John Nance Garner Home
Memorial to Ettie R. Garner, secretary to her husband in his long career as a statesman. John Nance Garner, born Nov. 22, 1868, was in Texas Legislature, 1898-1902; U.S. Congress, 1902-1932 (Speaker of the House in last term); Vice-President of the United States, 1933-1941. This home, built 1920, scene of visits of world figures, given to Uvalde by Vice-President Garner and son Tully in 1952.
History
Judge John Nance Garner
Cherished by fellow citizens of Uvalde County for his acts of leadership, philanthropy and dedication to area progress. Able trial lawyer; rancher and banker. First elective office was County Judge. Benefactor, Southwest Texas Junior College. The good example and rare wit and wisdom of Judge Garner have inspired Southwest Texas and 20th Century America. Presented by the City of Uvalde.
History
Kincaid Hotel
This four-story hotel building was constructed in 1927 by the family of William Davis "Billy" Kincaid (b. 1854) in memory of his life as a prominent Uvalde cattleman, businessman, and civic leader. The Kincaid Hotel became a popular place for business meetings, banquets, and social gatherings. Ranchers and cattle traders made the Kincaid lobby their meeting place.
History
King Fisher
Celebrated outlaw who became a peace officer. Once undisputed ruler of a 5,000-square-mile area of Southwest Texas, centered in Eagle Pass and known as King Fisher's Territory. Son of Jobe and Lucinda Fisher, at age 17 Fisher settled on Pendencia Creek in Dimmit County, hired by ranchmen to guard their herds from bandits who frequently raided from Mexico, across Rio Grande.
Industry & Science
Knippa Trap Rock Plant
Volcanic lava deposited here more than 60 million years ago cooled and hardened over time to form basalt, a dark igneous rock also known as trap rock. M. B. (Pete) Walcott purchased acreage here about 1904 and in 1907 formed the Genevieve Mining Co. to search for gold. Although little gold was found, substantial quantities of high quality trap rock were discovered.
History
L. Schwartz Company
Louis Schwartz (1840-1924), a native of Alsace-Lorraine, came to the United States in 1866. He later moved to Uvalde and sold dry goods and medicines, using a wagon to serve the surrounding area. In 1878 he established a mercantile store in a frame structure near the corner of Main and Camp streets. About 1900 he moved the operation to a new building at this site.