History
Sam Houston Spoke Here
On this Cherokee Trace site he had visited 25 years earlier, when he lived with the Indians, Sam Houston twice spoke as the leading Texas statesman-- on June 10, 1857, as U. S. Senator, and early in 1861 as governor. At both times he spoke against secession and in favor of the Union.
History
Site of an Indian Village
Established early in the 19th century by a band of Cherokees. Inhabited until those Indians and their associated tribes were driven from Texas in 1839.
History
Site of Old Gilmer
Here on the Cherokee Trace was early Gilmer. On this spot in 1845 the first Upshur County Court convened under an oak. In spring 1846, Judge O. M. Roberts designated the nearby W. H. Hart home as courthouse until a permanent county seat could be "carefully located." Old Gilmer Cemetery is one mile north.
History
Site of the Guarantee State Bank
Ore City was founded about 1910 as an iron mining center. On Dec. 16, 1911, its citizens organized the Guarantee State Bank, and after operating temporarily in the local schoolhouse, they built a brick structure on this site in 1912. State Representative W. O. Stamps, the first president, set up farsighted policies during the hard times when the iron mill failed to materialize.
History
Tarver's Ferry
Once located at a strategic crossing of Big Cypress Creek, this pioneer ferry transported settlers moving west into Texas through populous Jefferson, on Big Cypress Bayou. Those going to the interior of Texas often came by horse or oxen, stopping for provisions at nearby town of Coffeeville. The ferry operator probably was James L. Tarver, who lived on Coffeeville Road, 1860s.
History
The Ashley Phelps Home
Big Sandy merchant J. B. Rowe and his wife Helen (Bray) built this home about 1905. In 1909 they sold it to Ashley W. and Ruth (Prothro) Phelps, who owned a local dry goods store. For many years after Ashley's death in 1922 Ruth operated it as a boardinghouse for area school teachers. She lived here until her death in 1961.
History
The Looney School
During the years of 1860-70 in Gilmer, Morgan H. Looney had a school widely known for high academic standards, attracting many East Texas boarding pupils. Site was 4 blocks to the north. Boys and girls had separate entrances, separate study halls kept by teacher on a platform. Socials were held once a month. People there achieved fame later. O. M.
Transport
Two Early Railroads
(Crossing, 400 yards east) The Marshall & East Texas Railroad, chartered 1908 was part of a line built 1882. Operated a passenger train nicknamed the "Misery & Eternal Torment," and ran a logging train until 1917. The Port Bolivar & Iron Ore Line was founded 1911 to haul ore from Upshur County to the Texas Coast, but never built farther than Longview, 30 miles south. It ceased operations in 1929.
History
Union Grove Schools
The earliest recorded school in this area was held at the home of pioneer settler John O'Byrne. In 1888, a public school opened with J.H. Sheppard as the teacher. The first half of the 20th Century say much growth for Union Grove schools, with the creation of Union Grove Common School District No.
History
Unknown Soldier
In this grave, the first in Morris Cemetery, lies a Confederate soldier. On his way home at the end of the war, and very ill, he stopped at the William Morris home, near here. There he died, without revealing his name.
History
Upshur County Discovery Well
J. D. Richardson No. 1. Completed May 6, 1931; first of 2,000 county wells that produced over 225,000 barrels of oil. Drilled by Mudge Oil Co.; bought by General American Oil Co., (1952). Total depth of well: 3,754 ft.; initial daily production: 35,000 barrels of oil and 10,000,000 cu. ft. of gas. Contractor was Clark and Cowden Drilling Co. Drilling supervisor: T. P. Kirk; Dave McCullough and R.
Military
Upshur County, C. S. A.
(Star and Wreath) Civil War supply and activity center. Men and boys served in the Confederate army on many battlefronts and in state troops protecting Texas from invasion. 3 military training camps were set up. Vital needs for military and civilians met with production of hats, shoes, saddles, harness, cloth, iron and pottery in factories in Gilmer and Ore City.
History
Walnut Creek Baptist Church
Pioneer settlers of this area formally organized a Baptist Church of Christ at Walnut Creek about 1855. In 1856 the congregation acquired more than 17 acres here on which they built a sanctuary and established a cemetery. The oldest marked grave dates to 1870.
History
Walters' Bluff Ferry
Located at a noted early-day crossing on Sabine River, this pioneer ferry carried settlers traveling north or south into Upshur or Smith counties. It was begun before 1849 by Robt. Walters, a Texas revolutionary veteran, and used until a bridge was built, 1903. Town of Florence was once situated near ferry on south bank of the Sabine.
History
West Mountain Cemetery
Part of a Republic of Texas land grant formerly occupied by Caddo and Cherokee Indians, this cemetery was established in the mid-1850s by plantation owner Alpha Phillips. The first grave, that of his father, William, is marked with a stone cairn. The family cemetery came to be used by neighbors, West Mountain community residents, and transients.