History
"The Gilmer Mirror"
Oldest continuous business in this county. Founded as weekly, "Upshur County Democrat," Jan. 1, 1877. Early owners included W. C. Paul, the Rev. S. R. Chadick, and J. P. Hart, who named it "Texas Mirror" in 1882; "Gilmer Mirror," 1895. Owned since 1915 by family of George Tucker (1861-1934), veteran of journalism in New York and other cities.
Architecture
1925 Gilmer Post Office
Designed by architect James A. Wetmore, this building was constructed by A. C. Stamford of Alabama, who employed workers from Alabama and from Upshur County. Construction began in June 1925 and was completed early the following year. This structure served as the Gilmer Post Office until October 1991, when it was replaced by a new facility.
History
Alex Earp
Alex Earp, (Aug. 10, 1832-March 5, 1920). A lumber-boom sheriff. Won respect under great handicaps. Born in Alabama. Family moved to Texas; father was sheriff of Upshur County 1856-1860. Served as Confederate cavalry captain. Became Upshur County sheriff in 1880s when timber industry attracted a transient, rowdy population. In 1895-1896 served as county commissioner.
History
C. S. A. Hat Factory
Hats for the Confederate Army were made here by Robert Potts Bros. hatters during Civil War. In a year's time, 300 pounds of wool was used for 600 hats valued at $7,000.00 Overcoats, blankets, shoes and caps were also made in Texas factories for the army. Housewives carded cotton and wool. Homes having spinning wheels and looms made sheeting, linsey and flannel.
History
Cherokee Trace
Near this site the Cherokee Indians blazed an early Texas trail. They wanted a road from their settlements near Nacogdoches to their home reservation on the White River in Arkansas. About 1821 they selected a man known for his uncanny sense of direction. Mounting a horse and dragging buffalo skins behind him, he set a northward course.
History
Col. John Hamilton McNairy
Born 1804 Guilford County, N. C. Lived in Tennessee; came to Shelby County, Texas, 1837; to Upshur County, 1847. Here he was first Representative elected from county, 1848. Married twice. Was father of eleven children. Died at Old Coffeeville, Jan. 7, 1853.
History
Croley Funeral Home
J. F. Croley purchased the Croley Hardware Company in 1890 and began an undertaking business as part of the hardware store services. In 1920 a partnership was formed to run the business, and in 1933 the Croley Burial Association was formed. Croley Cook, nephew of J. F. Croley, built a new funeral home in 1946-47. The structure included a chapel with a seating capacity for 200 people.
History
Dickson Orphanage
Only home in Texas for negro orphans for thirty years, 1900-1929. Founded by W. L. Dickson, Negro Baptist minister, only superintendent home ever had. Orphans remained here until they reached 21, unless adopted or indentured by good families. A choir of children made good-will trips to raise funds. In Aug., 1929, home was deeded to the state, together with 700 acres of land and 27 buildings.
History
East Springfield Baptist Church
Following the Civil War, many freedmen and their families established communities, including schools, churches and cemeteries. Freedmen settled in this area and established tenant farms, growing cotton. In East Springfield and many freedmen's colonies, the church was a major source of social and cultural development in addition to spiritual needs.
History
Gilmer
Founded 1846. Named for Thomas W. Gilmer, U. S. Secretary of the Navy and ardent champion of annexation for Texas. Supply, training, production and educational center during the Civil War. Farming, lumbering and oil hub. Home of famous Annual Yamboree, Sweet Potato Festival.
History
Harmony I.S.D.
Early efforts to improve the quality of education and provide a complete high school program in area districts resulted in the merger of rural schools in Wood and Upshur counties. Consolidation began in 1929 when Mt. Gilead and Rosewood schools combined. In 1938 Rosewood joined with schools from Rhonesboro, Honey Creek, and Union. The district was named Harmony, honoring the smooth transition.
History
Indian Rock Village
An ancient Indian people, their tribal name unknown, located this rock suited to their need and caused it to serve them in preparing food. Without tools and with great patience and skill they fashioned these stone-age mortars in which to grind their corn. Their successors in the land -- the Texans of 1936 -- salute the industry and skill of these original inhabitants.
History
John O'Byrne Home
Social, cultural, political center. built 1888 in the O'Byrne's Mill settlement that included sawmill, planner, grist mill, cotton gin. O'Byrne, Irish emigrant, father of 13, built first Catholic church in Upshur and also started first school in community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Kelsey School
In the late 1890s, brothers John and James Edgar settled along Kelsey Creek, and were soon joined by other Latter-Day Saints families from their native Alabama. By 1901, church officials established the area's first branch and school, with Manasseh J. Blackburn as teacher. County commissioners formed Kelsey School District No. 45 in 1907. The school built a two-story brick building in 1911.
History
Lafayette Cemetery
The Lafayette community, named by early settler Matthew F. Locke for his son, Lafayette Locke, developed in this area in the 1850s. Locke deeded three acres of land to the Philadelphia Baptist Church for a cemetery in 1858. The land, which already contained two family burials, became known as Lafayette Cemetery. The oldest documented grave is that of T. E.
History
Leather Factories, C. S. A.
On this site during the Civil War, a shoe factory converted leather into footgear for the Confederate Army. A harness factory nearby made bridles and saddles and also leather lines and breechings that hitched horses and mules to gun carriages, wagons and ambulances, to move armies through campaigns and battles. Leather was obtained from a local tanyard that treated over 2,000 hides a year.
History
Little Mound Baptist Church and Cemetery
Unmarked burials in this cemetery may have begun in the late 1860s, predating the founding of the church. The oldest marked grave is that of E. Hoggue, who died in 1877. One year later, in 1878, residents of the thriving pioneer village of Calloway organized Little Mount Baptist Church and met for worship in a structure near the burial ground.
History
Murry Institute
In community called Murry League, for original land grantee. First school in Upshur County (1853-61). Founded by Tennesseans, Rev. Joshua Clark and Wm. L. Coppedge. Coeducational boarding school. Famous for excellence. Taught engineering, higher mathematics, Greek, Latin, along with common subjects. Was closed during Civil War.
History
Old Coffeeville, C. S. A.
Ferry point near this site, on Big Cypress. Important town of 1850's, with an academy, 2 dry goods stores, 2 groceries, drug store, 3 doctors, Methodist and Presbyterian churches, a hotel and Masonic lodge. During Civil War, lived up to its name, selling coffee when other towns had none.
History
Parson McClelland School
Built about 1869 by the Rev. Wm. Henry McClelland, a Baptist minister and teacher. He lived here and operated a private school, with day and boarding pupils, until the 2-story frame building burned on Dec. 14, 1876. Family lore records that on same night, his son Lee died in a fire, step-daughter Nancy Skaggs wed R. M. Keasler, and his first grandson Mack Florence was born.
History
Pleasant Grove Cemetery
Many of the pioneer families who settled in this area and established the Lafayette community in the 1850s immigrated from the southern United States. The 1860 burial of one-year-old Thomas J. Harrison, son of Georgia immigrants Abram and Harriet Harrison, is the first recorded in the cemetery. Land for church and cemetery purposes was set aside by J. M. Brison in 1870.
Transport
Port Bolivar & Iron Ore Railroad
Though an Antebellum community associated with the Murray League School once existed here, it declined following the Civil War. It wasn't until around 1911, when construction was completed on a railroad, that ore city was platted and residents repopulated the area. Col. L.P.
History
Pritchett Normal Institute
Started as preparatory institute in 1901 by Albert, R. W. and J. P. Maberry, aided by Ben Wiliams and W. W. Sanders. Trained teachers. Also had public school courses, with pupils from far away as Panhandle of Texas. Added a building in 1908. Plant was sold, 1915, to public school system. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Rhonesboro
Founded 1902; Named for W. M. Rhone, only sawmill operator in area until 1901, when arrival of Marshall & East Texas Railroad created a town which grew to have 15 sawmills, 10 stores, 2 churches, a school, hotel, bank, gin, and cotton yard. Mill operators were Connally; Barton and Smith; McWhorter; Cone and Watkins; Whitter; Dacus; Waterman; Nolan; James; Swann; Beavers and Meek; P. K.
History
Rosewood Cemetery
When the Marshall and East Texas Railroad was built through this area in 1907, the town of Rosewood was organized, replacing the earlier communities of Double Springs and Essex. Denny Dell McDonald, four-year-old son of J. P. and Zula A. McDonald, died February 16, 1907, and was buried in the nearby Hopewell Cemetery.