Architecture
Schwartz & Raas and San Angelo National Bank Building
These three Victorian commercial structures were built during the local economic boom of the 1880s. Among the earliest permanent buildings in San Angelo, they represent the early development of the city as the leading commercial center of the area. In 1884 the San Angelo National Bank purchased an existing building in the middle of the block.
History
Sheep and Goat Industry in Texas
Spanish explorers introduced sheep to the Soutwest in the 1500s, and Spanish missions depended on the animals for food and clothing. The first Angora goats, known for the beauty and strength of their mohair, were brought to Texas in 1853 by Col. W. W. Haupt.
History
Site of Ben Ficklin
An early stage stand named in honor of Major Ben Ficklin, 1820-1870 - A noted frontiersman, mail and stage contractor, who assisted in establishing the Pony Express - - He carried the first message from the first governor of California to the governor of Missouri - First county seat of Tom Green County, 1875-1882 - Destroyed by flood, August 24, 1882. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
St. John's Hospital
In 1909, San Angelo had a population of 15,000 and no hospital to serve the needs of its people. That year the San Angelo Business Club, forerunner of the Chamber of Commerce, appealed to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio for help in establishing a hospital.
Architecture
The Maier House
Fredericksburg native George W. Brockman (1855-1922) erected this Victorian home in 1891. He sold the property in 1893 to another Fredericksburg man, Edward Maier (1867-1943), who remodeled the structure before his marriage to Bertha Jung (1870-1945). Here the Maiers raised their two sons Norman (1894-1950) and Erwin (18997--1976).
History
The San Angelo Standard
In 1884 J. G. Murphy and W. A. Guthrie, co-workers at the "San Angelo Enterprise", bought the weekly newspaper operation and began the "Standard". The first four-page edition was published on May 3 of that year. Early stories included coverage of frontier scalpings and the life of the Fort Concho soldier.
History
The Tenth Cavalry
Following the Civil War, the United States Congress authorized the creation of six regiments of black U.S. Army troops. The Tenth Cavalry was organized in 1867 under the leadership of Col. Benjamin Grierson (1826-1911). The order creating black troops also specified that they would be commanded by white officers.
History
Tom Green County
A part of the Miller and Fisher Grant in 1842. Created a county March 13, 1874. Organized January 5, 1875. Named in honor of General Thomas Green, 1814-1864. A veteran of San Jacinto. Member of the Somervell Expedition. A Confederate officer. First mail routes to the Pacific converged here in 1858. County seat, Ben Ficklin, 1875. San Angelo, since 1882
History
Tom Green, Confederate General
(Star and Wreath) Led 5th Texas Cavalry, Battle Val Verde in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign, 1861-1862. Commanded "cotton clad" carrying Cavalrymen dubbed "Horse Marines" in recapture Galvston, January 1863. Made brigadier general while leading Green's Cavalry division 1863 campaign to save Louisiana.
History
World War I Peace Monument
At the close of "The Great War," the citizens of Water Valley wanted to honor those of their community who had served overseas. They were inspired by a small family monument erected on the eastern ridge of Mount McLaughlin in 1902. On Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, at least ten men and a burro named "Come On" climbed the 2,410-foot rise of Mount McLaughlin two miles south of this site.