History
Ben Ficklin Cemetery
(Also known as Metcalfe-Spence Cemetery) Replaced older burial plot at nearby settlement of Ben Ficklin, after flood of Aug. 24, 1882, washed away the town and inundated the cemetery, exposing many graves. Charles B. Metcalfe, nephew of Col. Francis C. Taylor, founder of Ben Ficklin, selected this site, on higher ground, to reinter remains of relatives, including Col.
History
Butterfield Stage Station at Grape Creek
An early stagecoach stop near here provided the foundation for a frontier community. In the mid 19th century, stage lines were a primary means of moving people, mail and supplies through the region. John Butterfield, president of the Overland Mail Company, won a federal governmant contract in 1857 to take and deliver mail twice weekly in both directions between the Mississippi River and the…
History
Calvary Catholic Cemetery
This Catholic cemetery was created June 12, 1893. The first burial, that of Yrinia Buendia, took place within the month. Graves with earlier dates are transferred burials. A memorial altar and crucifixion scene were erected in 1960. A security fence was added when the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Angelo was established in 1961. Mausoleums and modern improvements arrived after 1985.
History
Charles B. Metcalfe
Sponsor of 1918 measure to give Texas women right to vote. Born in Lawrence County, Tenn. came to Texas 1872. Helped map town site of Ben Ficklin, first county seat, Tom Green County. Grew first bale of cotton and installed first (water-powered) cotton gin in county; was one of first ranchers to work for law and order, in fencing rangeland. County Commissioner 6 years.
History
Congregation Beth Israel
In the 1880s, Jews were well-established in the Concho Valley and met for religious observance although they did not have a formal building. By 1926, there were approx. 35 Jewish families and individuals in San Angelo, and procedures to erect a synagogue began. The same year, a Sunday School and Young Judea chapter organized. Construction on the synagogue at W. Beauregard Ave. and Milton St.
History
Daniel Millar
Arrived in Texas in 1831. Served in the Texas War for Independence Member of Captain William J. E. Heard's Company of "Citizen Soldiers" at the Battle of San Jacinto Died in 1894. Erected by the State of Texas 1956.
Architecture
Eckert House
Oscar (1856-1927) and Martha Geissler Eckert (1871-1934), both German immigrants to the U.S., purchased this lot in 1910. Oscar and his brother Henry built this residence, except for the brickwork, completing the construction in 1911. Pressed tin is a dominant architectural feature of the house. It covers the roof as well as ceilings and some interior walls on the first floor.
Architecture
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
First Episcopal services in area were at Ft. Concho, 1871. First parish church was built 1888 with aid from Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Baltimore, MD. This edifice of 1929 has stones and bell from 1884 Tom Green Courthouse and garden wall stones from 1884 Ragsdale Building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Fairmount Cemetery
San Angelo established the "New City Cemetery" here in 1893 on 22.5 acres. The first recorded burial was that of city alderman George Bond's wife, Elise, in 1893. A cemetery association, formed in 1897, organized a volunteer women's auxiliary to manage the graveyard. The auxiliary was headed by Mrs. C. A. Broome for 38 years.
History
Fort Concho
The center of a line of forts extending from the northeastern border of Texas to El Paso. Was also northern point of southern chain of forts extending to Rio Grande, thence along that river to its mouth. Established 1867 (at then junction of Butterfield Trail, Goodnight Trail and road to San Antonio) by 4th Cavalry under Capt. George G. Huntt to protect frontier.
Architecture
Fred Beck Homestead
A native of Germany, Fred Beck (1864-1951) came to San Angelo in 1886 and bought this homesite in 1889. By 1892 he had opened his own butcher shop. Beck hired noted architect Oscar Ruffini to design this home in 1912, after a house built here in 1902 was destroyed by fire.
History
Homesite of Mrs. Robert Massie (1867-1931)
A dedicated member of the Methodist Church and a gifted teacher, Mrs. Massie was a humanitarian who worked to further education throughout her life. The former Mary Lee Payne, Mrs. Massie was born in Weimar, one of four children she grew up under the stress of pioneer life and worked, in various towns, as a teacher, post master and sales lady.
History
John Ingram
A San Jacinto veteran, born in Kentucky, March 10, 1808. Died in San Angelo, February, 1896.
History
John R. ("Sarge") Nasworthy
Colorful pioneer and Texas ranger who helped to create civilization and institutions of West Texas. Owned ranch land on which today is situated Lake Nasworthy -- first conservation lake in this area. Born in Georgia. Served 1864-1865 in Confederate army, during Civil War. Later came to Texas, living first at Bonham.
History
John Yellott Rust
President and general manager, for more than 50 years, of San Angelo Telephone Company (first office near this site). Born to a prominent family at Leesburg, Virginia, Rust was educated there and in Maryland. He went to work at 16 digging post holes for a telegraph company and at 17 became construction foreman on a telegraph line from New York City to Buffalo.
Civic & Local
Kiwanis Little Olympics
On April 21, 1942, the first Little Olympics began as a community service project organized by the San Angelo Kiwanis Club. The event let grade school-aged children prepare for and compete in an area track and field competition, otherwise not available to them. The annual event hosts 4th through 6th grade students from 30-35 local schools.
History
Knickerbocker
Attracted by irrigable land and the available water supply in Dove Creek, farmers, sheepmen, and cattlemen came to this area in the 1870s. First to arrive were the Baze brothers, who dug an irrigation ditch in 1875 to grow melons and hay for nearby Fort Concho. Others soon followed, including cattleman Joseph Schmidt, cotton farmer S. D.
History
Knickerbocker Schools
Education for children in southwestern Tom Green County was available at Knickerbocker Schools as early as 1877. The Baze Subscription School, built by A. P. Baze (1833-1880) on his farm two miles north of Knickerbocker, operated from 1877 to 1899.The one-room schoolhouse had adobe walls, a shingled roof, and a pine floor. Children came on horseback to attend a six-month school term.
History
Major Ben Ficklin, C.S.A.
(1827-1871) Called Mystery Man of the Confederacy. Educated at Virginia Military Institute. At age 18 served as a corporal in Mexican War. In 1850's worked with stagecoach and mail lines from Missouri to San Francisco. Helped to start the Pony Express Line in 1860. Promoted idea of the railroad that later was the Union Pacific-- the first to span the U.S.
History
Mullins Cemetery
Named for Isaac Mullins (1819-81), one of organizers of Tom Green County, member of first county commission, and state representative in 16th Texas Legislature. Born in Virginia, Mullins came to the Republic of Texas with his parents and their family in 1837.
History
Municipal Swimming Pool
In September 1936 a devastating flood swept down the South Concho River, inundating much of the city of San Angelo. Among the many properties lost or severely damaged were the city's parks and its public swimming pool. Plans were made to rebuild the parks and construct a new municipal swimming pool, but a bond election held in 1937 to finance the project was defeated by the voters.
Transport
Orient-Santa Fe Depot
The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles from Kansas City, Missouri, to Topolabampo, Mexico, the Pacific Port nearest the U.S. Midwest. However, the route was never fully completed.
History
Original Tom Green County
On transcontinental trail of California gold rush. Until 1846 a part of Bexar Land District, Republic of Texas. Private tracts were surveyed as early as 1847. German Emigration Company colony (90 mi. SE) had grants here, but in 1840s found Indians blocking settlement. Butterfield Overland Mail managers lived at stands in area, 1858-61. R. F.
History
R.F. Tankersley Homestead
Richard Franklin Tankersley was born June 23, 1828, in Georgia and married Annie Allen of Aberdeen, Mississippi, in 1848. They moved to Texas and in 1864 established a home as ranchers on Spring Creek. Soon land in the area began to be sold for settlements, dividing the open land where free-range cattle grazed.
History
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Catholic priests visited the Concho River area in the 17th and 18th centuries, but modern Catholicism began after the founding of Fort Concho in 1867. Rafter Mathurin J. Pairier (1822?-1888) began visiting here in 1874. He cared for the Catholics of Fort Concho, Ben Ficklin, and San Angelo.