Military
Home Town of Texas Confederate General H.P. Mabry
A Georgian. Came to Texas 1851. Admitted to bar. Texas Legislator 1856-60. With Confederate expedition capturing Forts Washita and Arbuckle, Indian Territory, April-May 1861. June 1861 joined 3rd Tex. Cav. Helped win Wilson's Creek battle, in campaign to keep Missouri in Confederate fold. Late 1861 scouted U.S. Gen. Fremont's Army, Springfield, Mo.
Military
Home Town of Texas Confederate Major K.M. Van Zandt
Born in Tennessee. Came to Texas 1939. Was son of Republic of Texas Minister to the United States. K.M. Van Zandt was admitted to the Bar in 1858. Raised Co. D, 7th Tex. Inf., 1861. Fought in snows at Fort Donelson, Tenn., Feb. 1862. Captured in surrender there. During imprisonment at Camps Douglas, Chase, Johnson Island, Ill., 5 Co. D men died. The rest were exchanged at Vicksburg in Sept. 1862.
History
Hood Cemetery
This cemetery was established on the farm of Peters colonist Thomas M. Hood (ca. 1823-1859), who came to Texas from Missouri about 1845. The earliest marked grave is that of Urias Martin (1795-1855). Among the unmarked graves are those of Hood and his second wife Maryetta (Hall). Other Peters colonists and several Confederate veterans are buried here.
History
Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr.
Major, United States Army Air Corps Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr. was born on July 18, 1916, to Horace S. and Bertha Rea Carswell of Fort Worth. He attended North Side High School where he excelled in athletics.
Architecture
Hotel Texas
In 1919 a group of Fort Worth civic leaders began planning for a hotel that would reflect the city's dynamic growth. Their efforts resulted in construction of the Hotel Texas, which was completed in 1921. Designed under the supervision of Fort Worth architects Sanguinet and Staats, the building features a mixture of styles and elaborate terra cotta detailing. President John F.
History
Hudson Cemetery
When John Dickinson and Winnie (Traylor) Hudson's daughter Ary Mae died in 1878, she was the first person to be buried on the family land. Her twin, Ara Bell, who had been buried in Montague County earlier that year, was later reinterred beside Ary Mae. In 1892 the Hudsons deeded three acres to the trustees of the Hudson Cemetery for use by the surrounding community.
History
Hutcheson-Smith Home
Built about 1896, this residence reflects influences of the Queen Anne style, including gingerbread trim. It is located on land owned in the 1890s by I.L. Hutcheson, a pioneer merchant of the Arlington area, and his son William Thomas Hutcheson, who later became an oilman in Archer City. In 1919 the house was purchased by S.T. Smith, a former educator and farmer.
History
I. D. Parker Public Cemetery and Homestead
Isaac Duke Parker (1821-1902), son of early Texas politician Isaac Parker (1793-1883), settled near this site in 1853 with his family. During the Civil War I.D. Parker served as Tarrant County Commissioner before enlisting in the Confederate army. He assumed ownership and operation of the Parker Homestead and Cemetery about 1867.
History
I. M. Terrell High School
In 1882, the Fort Worth school system opened its first free public school for black students, called "East Ninth Street Colored School." It was moved to the corner of East Twelfth Street and Steadman in a property trade with the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad in 1906, and renamed "North Side Colored School No. 11." Isaiah Milligan Terrell was named principal and served until 1915.
History
Ida Saunders Hall
Old home of Wm. Edrington Scott (1899-1961), who gave to Fort Worth the unique Scott Theater for all the performing arts. Built in 1903 and bought by Woman's Club in 1929. Named for a leader in the Fort Worth Woman's Club.
History
Isham Cemetery
The Rev. W. Marion Isham (1831-1904) and his family came to Tarrant County from Georgia about 1870. Soon after arriving in the area Isham donated a one-acre plot of land to be used for a community cemetery. The oldest remaining legible grave marker here is that of N.L. Sweet (1824-1870), although earlier burials are documented by plain sandstone markers.
History
J. D. Cooper House
Built 1878 by J.D. Cooper, early landowner. Colonial design with square nails, wide board floors. Moved here by City. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
J. E. Foust & Sons, Funeral Directors
John E. Foust (1861-1926) moved to Grapevine in 1880 and started a general merchandise store which stocked coffins. He gradually added other services and with the help of his wife Daisy (Huitt) (1876-1963) established a funeral company. A civic leader, Foust also assisted in the development of other area businesses. His son John E. Foust, II (1898-1978), joined the firm in 1923.
History
James Azle Steward
Tennessee native James Azle Steward came to Texas prior to 1860. He and his wife, Mary E. Fowler Steward, were among the early settlers of this area. Steward was a well-known, respected pioneer physician. The settlement, which had been known by several different names at various times, was renamed Azle when Dr. Steward gave land for a townsite in 1883.
History
James E. Guinn School
After Fort Worth public schools were organized in the fall of 1882, black students continued to be taught in black churches for more than a year. The city completed a schoolhouse for blacks on E. 9th Street at Elm in December 1883. The son of a former slave, James Elvis Guinn was born in Fort Worth.
History
James M. Benbrook
In 1876 Indiana native James M. Benbrook brought his family to this settlement, then known as Marinda. A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, he became a prominent area farmer and landowner. In 1880, when rail lines were completed here and a depot was constructed, the community was renamed Benbrook in his honor by the Texas and Pacific Railroad Company.
History
James Tracy Morehead
Virginia native James Tracy Morehead came to Texas with his family in 1852, settling in newly organized Tarrant County. Two years later, he was chosen to serve as the County's third Chief Justice. He is credited with naming the town of Grapevine, originally known as Dunnville. His suggested name came from the Grape Vine Springs, a pioneer landmark located east of the settlement.
Architecture
James-Fujita House
Completed in 1915 for Thomas (d. 1935) and Annie James, this home was purchased four years later by Kanetaro Fujita. Fujita served as president of a Japanese cotton exporting firm, the Gosho Company, incorporated in 1917 and dissolved just after the U.S. entry into World War II. In 1936, after Fujita returned to Japan, he sold the home to the company.
History
Jellico
Robert Emmett Wilson came with his family to this area during the 1880s and built a general store near this site. The name Jellico was chosen for the community when a post office was established in 1898. The town was named after a town in Tennessee from which some of the settlers had immigrated. By 1895, Jellico had a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, grist mil, syrup press, and school.
History
Jesse Chisholm
Founder of World-Famous Cattle Trail Jesse Chisholm (1805-1868) Represented the Republic of Texas and President Sam Houston in many negotiations with Indians. Half Scotsman, half Cherokee, a scout, hunter, trader and trailblazer. Spoke 40 Indian languages and dialects and was a respected influence among southwestern tribes, including the wild Kiowas and Comanches.
History
John A. Kooken Elementary School
Arlington's North Side School opened in 1907 at the corner of Sanford and Center streets. Grades one through seven attended the new school. The building was destroyed by fire in 1909, and students met temporarily in a building on the property and in a cottage before the school was rebuilt.
History
John C. Collier Home
This structure was built in 1877 as a residence for the founder of Mansfield Male and Female College, John C. Collier (1834-1928). A native of South Carolina, Collier was distinguished educator and Presbyterian minister who in 1869 was asked to establish a school in Mansfield. The college operated from 1870 until 1887 and produced outstanding graduates and community leaders.
History
John Peter Smith
A native of Kentucky, John Peter Smith migrated to Fort Worth in 1853. He worked as a teacher, clerk, and surveyor before his appointment as Deputy Surveyor of the Denton Land Department in 1855, for which he received payment in property. Also a student of law, he was later admitted to the bar.
History
John Peter Smith_Oakwood Cemetery Founder
Pioneer area settler John Peter Smith (1831-1901), who donated twenty acres for the establishment of this cemetery, came to Fort Worth from Kentucky in 1853. He served the community as a teacher, clerk, surveyor, and attorney, and became a noted civic leader.
History
Johnson Station Cemetery
Now part of Arlington, this area was established in the 1840s as a ranger station and trading post known as Johnson Station. This cemetery serves as a reminder of that early settlement. The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is that of Elizabeth Robinson, who died November 15, 1863. A number of unmarked graves may date from an earlier time period.