History
Jopling-Melear Log Cabin
George Washington Jopling (1833-1903) erected this log cabin in 1863 in the Johnson Station Community for his wife Catherine (Thomas) (1837-1882) and their large family. A farmer, cattleman, and cotton gin owner, Jopling also served as a community leader, helping organizing the Johnson Station Masonic Lodge.
History
Judge Benjamin Franklin Barkley
(1822 - 1882) In 1855 Benjamin F. Barkley, a Kentucky physician, with his wife Malinda Elizabeth Duncan (1827-1917) and their children settled on a farm at Birdville. There he practiced medicine, became a lawyer, and a charter member of Masonic Lodge No. 148 in Fort Worth. In 1856 Dr. Barkley tried unsuccessfully to keep the county seat at Birdville.
History
Keller (History)
After Texas & Pacific Railroad came through this area, H.W. Wood, a druggist, set aside 40 acres on July 19, 1881, for this townsite. He named the new village "Athol". Within a year, the name became "Keller", honoring John C. Keller, railroad construction crew foreman. Many businesses grew up to meet the needs of the surrounding farms. In 1886 the Post Office was established.
History
Kennedale Independent School District
Known for its farming and brick manufacturing, the town of Kennedale was not officially incorporated until 1947. However, the town's citizens recognized early the need for educational facilities for area families. To accommodate their need, the Kennedale Independent School District (ISD) was established around 1890.
History
Khleber Miller Van Zandt
(1836-1930) Tennessee native Khleber Miller Van Zandt moved to east Texas as a child. After serving as a major in the 7th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A., he came to Fort Worth in 1865. A merchant, banker, and rancher, he was instrumental in making the city a major rail center and helped establish an early newspaper, the public schools, public transportation, and the First Christian Church.
History
Kiowa Raid on Walnut Creek
In April 1867 a band of about sixty Kiowa Indians, led by Chiefs Satank and Satanta, raided the home of William Hamleton on Walnut Creek. Hamleton was away when the Kiowas killed his wife, Sally, and captured two children, Lavina and Mary. Lavina was released from captivity after six months, but Mary was given to an Indian family and grew to adulthood among the Kiowas.
History
Knights of Pythias
Erected in 1881; rebuilt in 1901, following fire, by noted local architects Sanguinet and Staats. Style similar to North European city hall or medieval guild hall. This is first Pythian Castle Hall built in the United States. In third-floor niche is 7-foot suit of armor that stood above 1881 building. Fort Worth Pythian Lodge No. 101 (a fraternal group) occupies 2 floors.
Architecture
Land Title Building
Pioneer architects Haggart and Sanguinet designed this brick, sandstone and cast iron building with rounded arched windows and other ornate details. It featured the first known stone carving in Fort Worth, the figure of an owl, and displayed the initials of the lawyers Ross, Head and Ross, who occupied the second floor, above the title firm.
Architecture
Laneri House
Italian immigrant John B. Laneri moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and became a prominent businessman and civic leader. He founded the O.B. Macaroni Company and started a private boys school unknown as Laneri College. He had this residence built in 1904 in one of the city's most prosperous neighborhoods. The brick structure features classical detailing and fine interior woodwork.
Architecture
Lanius House
A native of Bonham, Texas, Clarence Lanius (1880-1947) was a cattleman with ranches in several locations across the state. By 1922 he and his wife, Myrtle (Swecker) (1880-1958), had moved into their new home here in the city's finest residential area in the early 20th century.
History
Lawrence Clifton Elliott
(November 16, 1901 - May 15, 1970) Aviation pioneer Lawrence C. Elliot was born in Greenville, Texas. During high school, Elliott exhibited early aviation talent when he built an experimental airplane. He attended Texas A&M University, participating in the Reserve Officers Training Corps.
History
Mansfield Mill
Julian Feild (1825-1897) and Ralph Mann (1825-1906) became acquainted in Harrison County, Texas, about 1850. About 1854 they built a mill near the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River. The two business partners came south of Fort Worth in 1856 and at this site found the ruins of a mill that had ben constructed by Charles Turner. With the help of local settlers and brickmaker S.W.A.
History
Margaret Meacham Hall
Named in honor of Mrs. H.C. Meacham, charter member and many years a Director of Fort Worth Woman's Club. House built, 1905, by J.F. Moore; sold, 1920, to Baptist Hospital as Nurses Residence. Bought by Woman's Club, 1949, giving club entire block. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
Marion Loyd Homestead
In 1859 brothers Marion (1835-1927) and James Loyd (1837-1922) of Illinois purchased this site. Marion built a log house to which their father John and several younger children came to live. Marion married Friendsina Cheshier (1841-1870) in 1862 and had four children. In 1879 he married his brother Thomas' (1848-1873) widow Ann Haney Loyd (1853-1912) and had three children.
History
Marrow Bone Spring
An Indian habitat in the 1700s or earlier, Marrow Bone Spring in 1843 was visited by President Sam Houston's envoys seeking peace. A trading post licensed by the Texas Republic opened in 1845 near the Spring. Hiram Blackwell of the Peters Colony pioneered here before 1848. Soldier-statesman Middleton Tate Johnson (1810-1866) posted troops nearby in the late 1840s.
Architecture
Marshall R. Sanguinet House
Noted Fort Worth architect Marshall R. Sanguinet (1859-1936) built this Shingle Style house about 1894, incorporating his earlier residence at this site which was damaged by fire. A partner in the prominent statewide architecture firm of Sanguinet and Staats, Marshall Sanguinet was associated with many of the citys early multi-story buildings and with the development of the Arlington Heights…
History
Mary Daggett Lake
(Nov. 11, 1880-Mar. 1, 1955) A botanist, musician, author and clubwoman, Fort Worth native Mary Daggett Lake played a prominent role in the civic life of her hometown throughout the first half of the 20th century. She chronicled the lives of pioneer Fort Worth families in a series of articles for the Star-Telegram in the 1920s and 1930s.
History
Masonic Temple Association of Fort Worth
The Masonic Temple Association was founded as the result of dramatic growth in Fort Worth's Masonic membership during the early part of the twentieth century. It was chartered in 1929 with ten member bodies for the purpose of building and maintaining a central meeting place for those organizations. Funds were raised and the new temple was completed in 1932.
Architecture
Masonic Temple of Fort Worth
This building was constructed for the Masonic Temple Association of Fort Worth provide a single meeting place for all member bodies. Completed in 1932, it was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Wiley G. Clarkson & Co. The Temple exhibits Neo-Classical styling with Art Moderne influences and features upper-story ionic columns and Monel bas-relief doors.
Architecture
Maxwell-Liston House
This late Queen Anne style residence was built in 1904 by Charles W. Maxwell (1850-1912). A contractor and carpenter by trade, Maxwell lived here with his wife, Katie, until 1907. The home then was sold to James Liston (d. 1917), and it remained in the Liston Family until 1941.
Transport
Meacham Field
On July 3, 1925, the Fort Worth city council approved a lease on 100 acres of property on Decatur Road for the city's new municipal airport. It was built to replace the city's first municipal airport at Barron Field, a World War I-era flying training field near Everman. After passage of the Air Mail Act (Kelly Act) in 1925, airlines began flying the mail over Contract Air Mail (CAM) routes.
History
Missouri Colony
In 1844 related families from Platte County, Missouri, settled in this area. James Gibson, one of the earliest settlers in Tarrant County, owned this site. In 1845 more relatives and friends arrived. They became known as the "Missouri Colony". The pioneers raised cattle and grain. John. A Freeman taught school and preached to the settlers at Lonesome Dove.
Architecture
Mitchell-Schoonover Home
James E. Mitchell, a jeweler, demanded a high degree of skilled craftsmanship in the construction of this house. Completed in 1907, it was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats. A friend, Dr. Charles B. Simmons, purchased the property in 1920. Ownership of the home was transferred to his daughter Maurine and her husband Dr. Frank Schoonover in 1945.
History
Morgan Hood Survey Pioneer Cemetery
Originally part of the Morgan Hood Survey, this small cemetery (75 ft. SE) has been abandoned for over a century. Its one visible grave is marked with portions of a sandstone burial cairn, a common method of marking graves in this area in the 1850s-1870s.
History
Mount Gilead Cemetery
This burial ground originally served a pioneer settlement of related families who migrated to the area from Missouri in 1847 as members of the Peters Colony. They were headed by a widow, Permelia Allen (d. 1866), who is buried here in an unmarked grave.