Industry & Science
Freese and Nichols, Inc.
Engineer John B. Hawley, designer and builder of Fort Worth's first city water system in 1892, was joined by Simon W. Freese in 1927 and Marvin C. Nichols in 1930 to form Hawley, Freese, and Nichols. The firm designed the nation's first dual-purpose reservoirs and pioneered the use of environmental engineering concepts in water treatment.
Architecture
Garvey-Veihl House
Early landowner Baldwin L. Samuel deeded land in this area to his daughter Mary and her husband Isaac Foster in 1876. The Fosters and their daughter Lucy (Lula) and her husband William B. Garvey moved here from Kentucky in 1882 and built a home overlooking the Trinity River on a lot adjacent to this home site.
Military
General Edward H. Tarrant
In this vicinity May 24, 1841 General Edward H. Tarrant with 70 men attacked several indian villages situated along a creek (now called Village Creek) and recovered many horses and much stolen plunder. 12 Indians were killed and many wounded. Of the Texans Captain John B. Denton was killed. Captains Henry Stout and Griffin were wounded.
History
General Edward H. Tarrant
South Carolina native Edward H. Tarrant enlisted in the Kentucky Militia in 1814 and served under Gen. Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans. Moving to Tennessee after 1816, he was elected Colonel of the Henry County Militia and served as County Sheriff. Tarrant arrived in Texas in November 1835, settling in Red River County.
History
General Thomas N. Waul, C.S.A.
A native of South Carolina, Thomas Neville Waul (1813?-1903) practiced law in Mississippi before moving to Texas in 1850. After serving in the Provisional Confederate Congress and signing the 1861 Confederate constitution, he organized Waul's Texas Legion, C.S.A. Waul led the Texans in Mississippi during 1862 and 1863, participating in the defense of Vicksburg.
Military
General William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849)
During the War of 1812, William Jenkins Worth, a native of Hudson, New York, was aide-de-camp to Generals Morgan Lewis and Winfield Scott. Severely wounded at Lundy's Lane, Worth remained in the Army after the war and later served as Commandant of Cadets at West Point, 1820-28. In 1832 he fought in Illinois against the Sac and Fox Indians, led by Black Hawk.
Architecture
George B. Monnig House
Fort Worth merchant George B. Monnig (1869-1919) and his wife, Lura (1870-1948), acquired this property in 1905 and built a two-story frame house here. In 1909, a neighborhood fire destroyed that house, and the Monnigs replaced it with this tile-roofed brick structure in 1910.
History
George Herman O'Brien, Jr.
George Herman O'Brien, Jr. was born on Sept. 10, 1926, to local grocer George Herman and Della (Cartwright) O'Brien of Fort Worth, the eldest of two sons. The family later moved to Big Spring where he graduated from high school in 1944. After serving as a seaman in the United States Merchant Marine aboard a gasoline tanker from Dec.
History
Gibbins Cemetery and Homestead Site
James Gibbins (1817-70) migrated to Texas from Arkansas in 1857. He bought land near present-day Arlington in 1863. Gibbins deeded part of this land to his son Thomas Jefferson Gibbins (1841-91), who enlarged the homestead. This family Cemetery was first used for the burial of Thomas' first wife, Amanda C. Gibbins (1846-77). His second wife, Martha H.
History
Gibson Cemetery
In 1853 Garrett and James Gibson, along with other family members, came to Tarrant County and established 160-acre homesteads in a settlement that came to be known as the Gibson Community. Each brother donated land at this site for use as a cemetery. The earliest marked grave is that of Garrett Gibson's infant grandson, James Truitt (d. 1866).
History
Governor Charles A. Culberson
(June 10, 1855 - March 19, 1925) A native of Alabama, Charles A. Culberson grew up in Jefferson, Texas. He married Sallie Harrison (1861-1926) in 1882 after earning his law degree at the University of Virginia. During two terms as Attorney General of Texas, Culberson enforced the reform policies of Gov. James S. Hogg. He succeeded Hogg as Governor, 1895-99.
Architecture
Grammer-Pierce House
This California style craftsman bungalow was built in 1915 by A.H. Richter and his wife, Violet (Murdock) Richter, in what is now the Fairmount Historic District. It was purchased in 1917 by Mrs. N.E. Grammer, widow of Nathaniel Grammer. Nathaniel was a prominent Fort Worth businessman, owning the largest and oldest drug store in the city. Mrs. Grammer sold the house in 1940.
History
Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 2144
Organized in 1880, this fraternal organization was an active force in Fort Worth's Black community during the early years of the twentieth century. Associated with a national order that had been chartered in 1843, the local lodge supported various charities and conducted seminars and professional business training sessions.
History
Grapevine
Wild mustang grapes growing profusely in this area inspired the name "Grapevine" for this community. Ambrose Foster (1794?-1847) and his wife Susannah Medlin (1796-1876) were among the first settlers in 1845, from Platte County, Missouri. The Fosters, their daughters and sons-in-law acquired land that became the heart of Grapevine.
History
Grapevine Cemetery
Samuel D. Coble (1830-1890), joined later by his brother Allen B. Coble (1836-1906), settled here in the 1850s. In 1878 they sold 4.5 acres of land at this site for use as a public cemetery. The oldest known grave is that of Louisa C. Guiry (d. 1860), who died at the age of 22. Many pioneer settlers of the area are buried here, including Barton H.
Architecture
Gunhild Weber House
This was the first home built in a 1907 subdivision opened by D.T. Bomar and John W. Broad. It shows influences from the West Coast, where Broad lived from 1896 to 1906. Charles K. Lee, later a State Bar Association, President, bought the house in 1914. He added a room and porte cochere. The Lees lived here 15 years. Mrs.
History
Hagar Tucker
(1842-1892) Hagar Tucker was the first African American policeman in Fort Worth, notable in 1870s Texas. Born into slavery, he came here from Kentucky in 1857 and was emancipated in 1865. One of the first African Americans in the county registered to vote, he was appointed a "special policeman" in 1873, partly through influence of former master Wm. B. Tucker, then alderman.
History
Handley Cemetery
This burial ground originally served the pioneer settlers of the Handley Community, which developed here soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line to the area in 1876. The earliest marked grave is that of Jane E. Thomas (1832-1878). A church building, constructed on adjacent land in 1882, was located here for 48 years.
History
Harrison Cemetery
When first used, this one-acre cemetery belonged to Tarrant County pioneer D.C. Harrison. The earliest known grave is that of Mary E. Harrison (1864-71). Several early settlers used this site, including R.A. Randol (1850-1922), the operator of Randol Mill, who bought this tract in 1895 and deeded it forever as a burial ground.
History
Hawkins Cemetery
Named for Harvey Hawkins (1804-1869), a pioneer settler who came to Texas from Tennessee and first settled in Rusk County, the Hawkins Cemetery is the final resting place for families of the Tate Springs community. In 1848, Hawkins married Mary Ann Elizabeth (Elliott) Hitt Turner (1817-1868) and they later traveled by wagon to what would beocme Tarrant County.
History
Hell's Half Acre
A notorious red light district known as Hell's Half Acre developed in this section of Fort Worth after the arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1876 launched a local economic boom. Fort Worth was soon the favorite destination for hundreds of cowboys, buffalo hunters, railroad workers, and freighters eager to wash off the trail dust and enjoy themselves.
Architecture
Hemphill Presbyterian Church
This Neo-Classical auditorium was built in 1925 to serve the increasing membership of Hemphill Presbyterian Church. Dedicated the following year, the building features a brick parapet and a bay window on the north corner. The imposing entrance consists of three open oval brick arches flanked by large pilasters. The neighborhood landmark continues to serve a large congregation.
Architecture
Henry M. Williams Home
A native of Georgia, Henry W. Williams (d. 1925) was the founder of the H.W. Williams Wholesale Drug Company and a prominent Fort Worth banker. This Colonial Revival residence was built for him between 1907 and 1909. Notable features include the elaborate portico with Corinthian columns and the wide veranda.
Industry & Science
Herbert M. Hinckley
Engineering innovator who designed this dome for 1936 Texas Centennial. Staked reputation on plan (which uses a unique way of connecting radial arches at peak) despite doubts of many experts. Also designed nearby tower, buildings in major cities, and many bridges. (1971)
History
Hitch Cemetery
This cemetery was once part of a large farm owned by Kentucky native William Henry Hitch (1818-1893), who brought his family here from Tennessee in 1855. The oldest grave in the cemetery is that of Haden T. Hitch (1846-1858), son of William H. and Esther Hitch.