History
Ephraim Merrill Daggett
Canadian born Ephraim Merrill Daggett was reared on a farm in Indiana. He traded with the Indians at Fort Dearborn (Chicago) in the early 1830s then moved to Shelby County, Republic of Texas, in 1838. There he and his family became involved in the East Texas Regulator-Moderator feud (1839-1844). He later served as a Captain in the Mexican War of 1846.
History
Euday Louis Bowman
(Nov. 9, 1886 - May 26, 1949) Fort Worth native Euday Bowman was a ragtime composer. His best known song was the classic "12th Street Rag," which he wrote about his experiences in Kansas City, Kansas. Copyrighted in 1914, it did not become popular until 1948 when it was recorded by Walter "Pee Wee" Hunt. Other songs written by Bowman, including "Fort Worth Blues," were never published.
History
Everman Cemetery
Settlement of the area, first called Enon, began about 1847. After the railroad was built in 1903, the townspeople relocated to be near the rail line and renamed their community Everman for a railroad official. This Cemetery was established in 1882 by R.E. Morris, whose wife Rosa (Josie) Vaughn, died on May 16 and was interred on the family farm.
History
Fairmount-Southside Historic District
The Fairmount-Southside Historic District is a predominately residential area in the center of Fort Worth's Historic Southside. Located approximately two miles south of present-day downtown, the district is comprised of 22 separate additions containing more than 1,200 contributing residences, commercial buildings and other structures. It emcompasses nearly 375 acres in about 100 square blocks.
Architecture
Fairview_The William J. Bryce House
A native of Scotland, William J. Bryce (1861-1944) moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and developed a successful brick contracting business. In 1893 he constructed this house, which was designed by the prominent architectural firm of Sanguinet & Messer. The Mayor of Fort Worth from 1927 to 1933, Bryce lived here until his death.
History
Fielder House
Local landowner and community leader James Park Fielder (d. 1948) and his wife Mattie (Barnes) (d. 1950) erected this house in 1914, using steel lathing and other innovative techniques. The brick Prairie style structure had a large basement to provide storage space for the fruits and vegetables grown on surrounding acreage.
History
First United Methodist Church
IN 1853, ITINERANT PASTOR JOHN WESLEY CHALK RODE HORSEBACK THROUGHOUT TARRANT COUNTY, PREACHING IN HOUSES AND PUBLIC SPACES. THE FORT WORTH CIRCUIT'S MEMBERSHIP HAD GROWN TO MORE THAN 450 PEOPLE BY 1873, AND A LOT WAS PURCHASED AT 4TH AND JONES STREETS FOR THE FIRST METHODIST CHURCH BUILDING IN FORT WORTH. CONSTRUCTION ON THE FRAME STRUCTURE KNOWN AS FOURTH STREET METHODIST BEGAN ON MAY 15, 1874.
Architecture
Flatiron Building
Known in early 1900s as the tallest building in North Texas. Erected 1907 for the renowned Dr. Bacon Saunders, Dean of City Medical College; Chief Surgeon, nine railroads; acclaimed as a pioneer of medicine in Texas. Designed by firm of Sanguinet and Staats, distinguished Fort Worth architects.
History
Florence School
In 1890, the forerunner of Florence School in the Tarrant County Common School District No. 34 was called "Green Glade". In 1903 Thomas Richard Sandidge, a school trustee, and his wife Nannie provided one acre at this site for school purposes. The nearby Green Glade site was sold, and the Florence Schoolhouse, a one-room frame building, was erected here among a grove of post oak trees.
History
Forest Hill Cemetery
One of the oldest burial grounds in Tarrant County; named for its location and used for many years before record-keeping began. In 1883 landowner J.W. Chapman deeded the property to Forest Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church. ("Cumberland" was later dropped from the name.) Among the many interments of pioneers were Press and Jane Farmer, who lived at site of Fort Worth before the U.S.
Architecture
Former TSTA Building
Completed in 1930, this building was constructed to serve as the headquarters of the Texas State Teachers Association. Noted Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson design the structure, which features Renaissance Revival styling.
History
Fort Worth "Where the West Begins"
Founded June 6, 1849, as frontier post of Co. F., 2nd Dragoons, 8th Dept., U.S. Army. The commander, Maj. Ripley Arnold, named camp for his former superior officer, Maj. Gen William Jenkins Worth. In 4 years of operations, the post had but one serious Indian encounter. A town grew up alongside the fort, as center for supply stores and stagecoach routes.
Military
Fort Worth Army Air Field
By January 1941, negotiations between Fort Worth civic advocates, led by Amon G. Carter, and the U.S. Army yielded an agreement to construct an aircraft plant near the city to build B-24 Liberator bombers. Legislation later authorized the creation of a landing field adjacent to the completed Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4 which became Tarrant Field/Tarrant Field Airdrome.
Transport
Fort Worth Belt Railway
Beginning in 1904, the Belt Railway serviced the Fort Worth Stock Yards. The arrival of the railroad in Fort Worth in 1876 moved the cow town from a regional economic player to a national force. The stockyards corporation, chartered in 1895, created a Belt Railway System to handle the movement of livestock and supplies into the yards and finished products out to the national market.
Architecture
Fort Worth Elks Lodge 124
Designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick (1888-1964) and built in 1927-28, this was the headquarters of the Fort Worth Elks Lodge and served as a residence for visiting Elks members until purchased by the Fort Worth Y.W.C.A. in January 1955.
History
Fort Worth Library
Seeking funds for a public library, local woman asked the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, to donate "the price of a good cigar". He gave $50,000. With that and substantial local gifts, including land donated by Mrs. Sarah J. Jennings, the first city library opened on this site, 1901. First librarian, Mrs. Charles Schevber, was active in parks movement and local art circles.
History
Fort Worth Livestock Exchange
Headquarters, one of greatest cattle markets in the world. In late 1860s Fort Worth was stop on cattle trails. Market for West Texas organized 1870s. First trader, T. B. Saunders, Sr., soon was joined by others. First small packing houses were followed (early 1900s) by multi-million dollar plants. By 1910 trading almost doubled.
Architecture
Fort Worth Main Post Office Buiding
Fort Worth Main Post Office Building The Fort Worth post office was established in 1856 with pioneer settler Julian Feild serving as postmaster. The central offices were moved here in 1933 when this building was completed. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of Wyatt C. Hedrick, it features interior detailing of marble, bronze, and gold leaf.
Architecture
Fort Worth Public Market Building
Oklahoma City developer John J. Harden had this commercial structure built in 1930 to provide market space for local farmers, vendors, and retail businesses. Designed by B. Gaylor Noftsger, also of Oklahoma City, it features influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival, Italian Baroque Revival, and Art Deco styles.
History
Fort Worth Stock Yards Company
The Fort Worth Stock Yards Company was created in 1893, when Boston capitalist Greenlief W. Simpson led a group of investors in purchasing the Fort Worth Union Stock Yards. Under Simpson's leadership, the Company earned the support of the Texas Cattle Raisers Association and lured the prominent meatpacking companies of Armour and Swift to open plants here.
Architecture
Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance
Spanning Exchange Avenue, this gateway to the Fort Worth Stock Yard was completed in 1910. Constructed by the Topeka Bridge & Land Co. for the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co., it was a significant feat of concrete work for that era. The columns are 22 feet high and 13 feet in circumference. The sign is 36 feet long and 4 feet high.
History
Fort Worth Stockyards Hog and Sheep Markets
Early attempts by the Fort Worth Union Stock Yards Corporation, established in 1887, to persuade Texans to produce more hogs proved unsuccessful. In 1903 the Fort Worth Stockyards constructed new hog and sheep pens and launched a promotional campaign, which included cash and livestock prizes and a youth Pig Club program, to persuade ranchers to raise more hogs.
History
Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns
The Fort Worth Stock Yard Company's wooden horse and mule barns on this site were destroyed by fire on March 14, 1911, opening day of the Feeders and Breeders show (later Southwestern Exposition & Fat Stock Show). The show opened as planned, with former President Theodore Roosevelt giving the opening address.
Nature
Fort Worth Zoological Park
The oldest continuous Zoo site in Texas, the Fort Worth Zoological Park has provided its visitors with many recreational and educational opportunities since 1909. The first Zoo in Fort Worth was a small menagerie then located in an old City Park and operated by the newly established Park Board.
Transport
Fort Worth-Yuma Mail (Star Post Route No. 31454)
By the 1870s remote areas of the frontier not served by the railroads needed mail delivery routes. In response the U.S. Post Office Department, in 1873, began establishing Star Post Routes. On Aug. 15, 1878, Star Route No. 31454 was opened between Fort Worth and Yuma, Arizona Terr., under contract to J.T. Chidester.