History
Coliseum
Until 1908, The Annual Fort Worth Fat Stock Show was held in a variety of locations. As interest increased in the event and its educational and promotional values were realized, livestock exhibitors sought a permanent home for the show. The coliseum was constructed in 1907-08 to provide such an exhibition hall.
History
Colonel Neel E. Kearby
Neel E. Kearby was born in Wichita Falls on June 5, 1911 to Dr. John Gallatin Kearby, Jr. and Bessie Lee (Stone) Kearby. He spent much of his childhood in Mineral Wells, but later moved to Arlington, graduating from Arlington High School in 1928 and beginning college at North Texas Agricultural College (now the University of Texas at Arlington).
Industry & Science
Commercial Horticulture in Euless
Launched in Euless by pioneer nurserymen, commercial horticulture has been vital to the area's economy since the 1800s. Ideally situated for horticultural production, Euless sits on sandy soil well adapted for plant cultivation. Ambrose H. Boyd (1829-1916), a Kentucky native, established Tarrant County Nurseries in 1879 and in 1882, with his son, John S.
History
Congregation Ahavath Sholom
Recognized as Fort Worth's first Jewish congregation, Congregation Ahavath Sholom, meaning "Love of Peace", was organized in 1892. William Goldstein served as its first president. The first synagogue, a wooden structure built in 1893 and located at the corner of Hemphill and Jarvis Streets, was relocated to downtown Fort Worth (819 Taylor Street) in 1901.
Industry & Science
Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4
Prior to WWII, the U.S. aircraft industry focused primarily on producing aircraft for civilian airlines; few manufacturers specialized in military airplane construction. In the fall of 1940, the War Department determined that expected future demand for military aircraft required new defense plants, not just expansion of existing sites.
Nature
Cross Timbers
This narrow strip of sandy timberland, called "The Eastern Cross Timbers", separates the Blackland Prairie and the Grand Prairie. It covers about one million acres. Indians camped here because the mild climate, good soil, frequent rains and nearby prairies supported large herds of buffalo and horses. There were salt licks, fresh water springs, trees for fuel, and good grass.
History
Crowley Cemetery
This burial ground originally served the early settlers of the Deer Creek area who began moving here about 1848. The earliest marked grave is that of Thomas D. Stephenson (1848-57), the eight-year-old son of I.N. Stephenson (d. 1883) who came to Tarrant County in the 1850s. The property was deeded for use as a public burial site in 1879 by Sarah J. "Sallie" Dunn.
Entertainment & Sports
Crystal Springs Dance Pavilion
Samuel "Papa Sam" Cunningham was excavating for gravel at this site in 1918 when he discovered an underground spring. Cunningham built a swimming pool and a covered shelter and opened for business in 1925 as Crystal Springs Dancing and Swimming. The popularity of the dance hall was driven by the house band, The Light Crust Doughboys.
History
Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery
This site was first used as a burial ground shortly after the Civil War. The earliest legible gravestone is that of Julia Alice (Boisseau) Man (1843-68). Her husband Ralph S. Man and brother-in-law Julian Feild founded Mansfield (originally spelled Mansfeild). The burial site was deeded to the Mansfield congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1874.
History
Dalworthington Gardens
THE CITY OF DALWORTHINGTON GARDENS BEGAN AS A RESULT OF PRESIDENT FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT'S DEPRESSION-ERA POLICIES. ROOSEVELT SUPPORTED THE 'BACK-TO-THE-LAND' MOVEMENT, ENCOURAGING URBAN WORKERS TO LIVE ON AND CULTIVATE RURAL PROPERTY. ROOSEVELT SIGNED THE NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL RECOVERY ACT INTO LAW IN 1933; IT AUTHORIZED THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A SUBSISTENCE HOMESTEAD PROGRAM.
History
Dido Cemetery
The earliest marked grave in this cemetery is that of Amanda Thurmond (1878-1879), granddaughter of Dave Thurmond, who in 1848 first settled this area. Dempsey S. Holt donated three acres in 1887 for a school, church and cemetery. Dr. Isaac L. Van Zandt, a pioneer physician and Confederate veteran, deeded additional land in 1894.
History
Douglass and McGar Parks
From the late 1800's, through the 1920's, during a time of Jim Crow segregation, Douglass and McGar parks served as recreational grounds for African Americans in Fort Worth. In 1895 Thomas Mason, an African-American entrepreneur, with J.D. Johnson and A. Sumlin, purchased land in the Trinity River Bottoms.
History
Dove Community
The 1843 Bird's Fort Treaty between the Republic of Texas and several Native American tribes opened this area for new immigrants. In the ensuing years, a number of families from Platt County, Missouri and other parts of the United States migrated to this area and established the Cross Timbers community (now Grapevine).
Architecture
Dr. Clay Johnson House
Completed in 1912 for Dr. Clay Johnson, this house was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Waller and Field. The Prairie School influence is visible in the home's horizontal roof line and broad cornices, while more Classical detailing appears in the semi-circular windows and the balustrade around the roof. Dr.
History
Dr. George M. Munchus House
This Craftsman style house was constructed in 1922 for Dr. George Murry Munchus (1887-1952) by locally prominent black contractor George Powell. The son of former slaves from Alabama, Munchus was founder, manager, and physician for Fort Worth's Negro Community Hospital. The Munchus home is a two-story wood frame residence featuring wide overhanging eaves, stick brackets, and prominent gables.
History
Dr. Lilburn Howard Colley
A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, Dr. L. H. Colley (1843-1924) and his wife, Martha Sabrina (Fowks) (1860-1914), migrated from Missouri to Texas in 1880. They settled in Bransford Community in 1885, where Dr. Colley became a respected physician and an election official for the Pleasant Run School District. In 1914, when Walter G.
History
Dr. Riley Andrew Ransom
A native of Kentucky, Riley Andrew Ransom studied medicine at Louisville National Medical College. Upon coming to Gainesville, Texas, during the early 1900s, he opened the Booker T. Washington Sanitarium. In 1918 Dr. Ransom moved the hospital to Fort Worth, where he served as Chief Surgeon until the facility closed in 1949.
History
Earle C. Driskell
Born in Indiana in 1883, Earle Claud Driskelll came to Texas with his parents in 1888. Educated as a lawyer, he started his journalism career in 1907 when he joined the staff of the Fort Worth "Star". He soon gained recognition for his work as an advocate of a county bond program to improve the quality of local roads and highways.
History
Early Site of Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show
Fort Worth became an important trading and supply depot in the 1870s for Texas cattlemen driving herds to Northern markets. With the convergence of several railroads here in the 1870s and 1880s stockyard facilities began to appear along the railroad lines. In 1893 Boston investors purchased the Stockyards and organized the Fort Worth Stock Yards Company.
History
Eastern Cattle Trail
This native stone, dug from the Trinity River Valley, marks the route of the Eastern Cattle Trail, where cattle were driven north on Rusk Street, now Commerce Street, through the City of Fort Worth, Texas, to the bluff and then across the Trinity River to the broad valley below, where they rested before continuing their long drive north.
Architecture
Eddleman-McFarland House
Designed by Howard Messer, this Victorian house was built in 1899 for Sarah C. Ball (1825-1904), widow of Galveston banker George Ball. William H. Eddelman (1850-1932), a local banker, bought the home in 1904 and in 1921 gave it to his daughter Carrie (1877-1978), wife of cattleman Frank H. McFarland (1869-1948). She lived here 75 years.
History
Eli Smith
A native of Missouri, Eli Smith moved to Texas in 1859 with his parents. They settled in this part of Tarrant County, and in 1868 Smith married Sarah J. Hightower. About 1876 Smith donated part of his farmland to the community, then known as Zion, for a Methodist church and cemetery. Residents of the area honored Smith for his generosity and community service by renaming the settlement Smithfield.
History
Elisha Adam Euless
Elisha Adam Euless (1848-1911) migrated to Texas in 1867 from Bedford county, Tennessee and settled in Tarrant county. In July 1870 Euless married Judy Ann Trigg, also a Tennessee native. He began farming and bought land in 1871. Euless was elected a Tarrant county constable in 1876. In March 1879 Euless purchased 170 acres in the area known as Woodlawn from his mother-in-law, Mary Ann Trigg.
History
Elizabeth Boulevard
This Boulevard, named the wife of developer John C. Ryan, was designed as the first phase of a residential district known as Ryan Place. Elaborate entry gates and the first house, the W.T. Fry home at 1112 Elizabeth, were built in 1911. Construction here peaked in 1920 and declined as a result of the economic depression at the end of the decade.
History
Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery
Fort Worth civic leader John Peter Smith donated land at this site in 1879 for use as a cemetery to serve the early Jewish residents of the City. Maintenance of the grounds was first provided by the Emanuel Hebrew Association, which was started by local families. The earliest marked grave is that of a child, Leah Kaiser, who died in 1879.