History
San Augustine County Jail
This 1919 County Jailhouse is a two-story rectangular building with symmetrical facades and minimal classical detailing. It was built from portions of an earlier 1882 jail including its bars, pulled from their brick moorings by teams of horses, and jail cells. By the 1950s, additional cells were purchased from San Antonio by Sheriff N.L. Tindall.
History
Site of Home of James Pinckney Henderson
Site of the home from 1840 to 1856 of JAMES PINCKNEY HENDERSON First governor of the state of Texas, 1846-1847 Born in North Carolina, March 31, 1803 Died in Washington, D. C., June 4, 1858 while serving as Senator from Texas His remains were removed to the state cemetery at Austin in 1930 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson
San Augustine lawyer and public official who was the last Vice President of the Republic of Texas. Born in Hillsboro, N. C., Sept. 11, 1805. Moved in 1829 to Shelbyville, Tenn., and in 1837 to San Augustine. Here he was collector of customs by appointment of President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Won attention as orator and debater. Associated in law practice with Gen. Thomas J.
History
Site of Old Customhouse
On El Camino Real - Old Spanish Road. One of 3 ports of entry in Republic of Texas, 1836-1845; here duties were collected for entire eastern border. For many years, only public building in town. Served as courthouse; site of cases tried by many famous lawyers. Replaced by new building in 1855. (1966)
History
Site of the "Red Lander" Office
One of the most influential newspapers in the Republic of Texas during the 1840s. W. W. Parker bought equipment of "Texas Chronicle," Galveston, and brought it here in 1837. He published the "Red Lander" for three years. Dr. John S. "Rip" Ford, the celebrated journalist, Texas Ranger, and Confederate officer was on the staff. Alanson W. Canfield bought the paper June 12, 1840.
History
Site of the Battle of Fredonia
Climax of first Anglo-American rebellion in East Texas. In 1826 colonizer Hayden Edwards defied expulsion orders of Mexico and founded Republic of Fredonia - raising flag of "Independence, Liberty and Justice." When Ayish Bayou settlers refused to join, he ordered their banishment. Fredonians, from log fort at this site, were ordered to take Ayish Bayou on Jan. 21, 1827.
History
Site of the First Methodist Episcopal Church
Site of the First METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH Erected in the Republic of Texas. Cornerstone laid, January 7, 1838 with the usages of the Masonic order. The Reverend Littleton Fowler and General Thomas J. Rusk delivered addresses. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the home of Elisha Roberts
(1785-1844) Early influential citizen * Important figure in the Fredonian Rebellion * Alcalde of San Augustine in 1831 * A haven of hospitality to travelers Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Wesleyan College
Site of WESLEYAN COLLEGE Established in 1842 Incorporated January 16, 1844 by the Methodist Church Named for John Wesley (1703-1791), the founder of Methodism A successful school for a brief period United with the University of San Augustine in 1847 to form the University of East Texas, which shortly expired Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Gatling House
Built in 1890 for George E. Gatling, a first cousin of inventor of the Gatling gun. Classic Greek revival style. Native longleaf pine lumber. Fireplaces of handmade brick. Continuously occupied by five generations of the builder's family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
The Thompson Family
Dr. Samuel (1765-1843) and Precious Wofford (d. 1841) Thompson and their sons were among the earliest settlers of this area. Samuel Thompson served as Alcalde of the San Augustine municipality and later organized area churches and schools. Burrell J. Thompson (1790-1875), the eldest Thompson son, came to Texas in 1821 with Stephen F. Austin.
History
William Garrett House
William Garrett (1808-84) purchased this land soon after coming to Texas in 1830. In 1861, he erected this two-story house using pine boards from his nearby sawmill. Built by slave labor, the structure had unusual free-standing columns in front and carved mantels over its six fireplaces. Garrett's home was often a stop for travelers on the Old San Antonio Road.