History
"Straddle-Fork"
Rebuilt 1875 by early Texas leader Jacob Herring, from wood in his original 1836 home. Dog-trot plan. Heart pine in floors and hand-planed, paneled ceilings. Pediment trim on doors and windows. Molded wood wainscot. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Alexander Horton Cemetery
Pioneer, soldier, civic leader, and state legislator, Alexander Horton (1810-1894) came to Texas in 1824. He served as an aide-de-camp to Gen. Sam Houston at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. This cemetery is situated on property Horton bought in 1837. His home once stood adjacent to the plot.
History
Antioch Cemetery
First used as early as the 1860s, this burial ground served the congregation of the Antioch Church of Christ, which was started in 1836. The property was deeded to Elders Thomas M. Baggett and N. W. Ware in 1880 by Stephen Passmore. The earliest marked graves here are for S. H. Dwire (1878-1883), John G. Baggett (1820-1886), Catherine Ware (1810-1886), and Calvin Bland (1820-1891).
History
Camp San Augustine World War II POW Camp
During World War II, the U.S. military established multiple Prisoners of War (POW) Branch Camps at the request of East Texas communities seeking to boost federal economic investment and address local labor shortages. San Augustine, a branch of Camp Fannin (Smith Co.) was completed in March 1944.
History
Chapel Hill Cemetery
The first recorded burial here is for Able Allison Lewis, a veteran of the American Revolution, in 1838. Oral tradition identifies his widow, Patsey Lewis, as giving land along El Camino Real for a public graveyard after his death. She and several of her family members are buried in the cemetery.
History
Chinquapin Cemetery (Loggins Family Burial Ground)
Among the earliest settlers in the Chinquapin area were Martin and Susanna Loggins who emigrated along with their children from Tennessee in March of 1839. Shortly after their arrival their daughter Minnie, age 18, died in May of 1839, and their son Cade was killed in June of the same year.
History
Cullen House
Greek colonial home; pediments, Doric columns. Garret ballroom runs length of house, has opening fan-shaped windows. Long, wide center hall. 5 fireplaces with crane in kitchen chimney. Virgin pine wood in wide board floors, walls. Built 1839 by Ezekiel Wimberly Cullen, settler from Georgia, soldier of Texas Revolution, in 3rd Congress of the Republic.
History
Dickerson Cemetery
William and Lucinda Dickerson established this burial ground after the death of a son, Levi, in 1858. The Dickerson family came from Florida, settling in Grapevine in 1839. The family opened the cemetery to neighbors and other family, and additional property was donated.
History
Early Texas Sawmill
One-fourth mile north to site of Early Texas Sawmill Texas' first million-dollar industry - lumbering - was born to recorded history with the building of two sawmills in 1819. One, located on Ironosa Creek in present San Augustine County, was run by pioneer Wm. Ward; the other was in Nacogdoches. In 1825 yet another mill (one-fourth mi. N) was turning out about 500 board feet of lumber a day. Wm.
History
Edward Oswald LeGrand
A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence -- Veteran of San Jacinto -- Born in North Carolina 1801 -- Died in 1870 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Hillcrest
Built 1872 by Wm. R. Leonard; enlarged to 12 rooms, 1878, by Leonidas Cartwright. Hand-hewn timbers, ceilings and 1 1/2" heart pine floors cut locally. Brick made at old Ayish Bayou kiln. 7 fireplaces. Marble mantels from France, came by Sabine boats. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Home of Col. Stephen William Blount
Born Feb. 3, 1808 in Burke County, Georgia. Came to Texas in 1835. Joined the Army of Texas after signing the Declaration of Independence. First county clerk of San Augustine County First district clerk of the First Judicial District Died, February 7, 1890 at San Augustine, Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Home of Matthew Cartwright
Home of MATTHEW CARTWRIGHT (1807-1870) Built in 1839 by Isaac Campbell Purchased by Matthew Cartwright in 1847 Still in possession of his descendants Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Home of Thomas S. McFarland
HOME OF THOMAS S. McFARLAND 1810 * * 1880 Surveyor, soldier and statesman. Aide-de-Camp to Major Bullock in the battle of Nacogdoches, 1832. Laid off the town of San Augustine in 1833. Soldier in the Texan army, 1836. Member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Chief Justice, San Augustine County Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Inlow and Jeanette Mathews House
Inlow Mathews (d. 1879) and wife Jeanette (Hoffman) (d. 1897) brought their family and slaves to San Augustine County from Alabama in 1849. Inlow was a prosperous planter, and he served several terms as county commissioner. The Mathewses built this home sometime before the Civil War, and it has remained in family ownership.
History
James Pinckney Henderson
[front] HENDERSON [back] Born in North Carolina March 31 1808 * Arrived in Texas June 3, 1836 at the head of a company of volunteers * Attorney General of the Republic 1836 * Secretary of State 1836-1837 * Minister to England and France 1837-1839 * Special Minister to the United States 1844 * First Governor of the State of Texas 1846-1847 * Major General in command of Texas Forces in the Mexican…
History
Macune Cemetery
By the time Texas became a republic in 1836, Nathaniel Hunt had settled in this area with his wife, Mary Elizabeth (White), and their children, including their oldest daughter Clarissa and her husband, John M. Neely. The Hunt and Neely families were active in the early settlement; Nathaniel Hunt served in a variety of public offices, including justice of the peace.
History
McRae Cemetery
Minutes of the McRae church state that "at a place called Union Church, six miles southwest of the town of San Augustine, a number of persons assembled on this, the 15th day of October 1882 . . . The following persons at their own request, were dismissed from the First Presbyterian Church of San Augustine and were organized.
History
Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Ais
Site of MISSION NUESTRA SENORA DE LOS DOLORES DE LOS AIS Established in 1716 by Padre Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus Here faithful Franciscans labored for the purpose of civilizing and christianizing the Ais Indians Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719 Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721 The mission also served to confirm the claim of the King of Spain to…
History
Norwood Community
This rural community was settled in the 1840s by William Coleson (W. C.) Norwood (1794-1885) and Eliza LeGrand Norwood (1808-1869). They migrated from North Carolina, where W. C. was a merchant and postmaster in the town of Norwood. The Norwoods were accompanied to Texas by their nine children and extended family members. Eliza Norwood's brother, E. O.
History
Old Hollis Building
Built 1889 by I. H. Hollis. Succeeded the imposing home ("Yellow House") of John P. Border, merchant. Also on site was office of K. L. Anderson, last vice president of Republic. This structure escaped the great fire, 1890. Has housed many businesses, including post office, 1911. (1968)
History
Sam Houston in San Augustine
Sam Houston (March 2, 1793 - July 26, 1863) left home in 1809 and lived among the Cherokees. After two years he returned to the Anglo world; he opened a school, fought the British under Andrew Jackson, and was governor of Tennessee. After a three-week marriage, Houston left the governorship and returned to the Cherokees; three years later, he came to Texas.
History
San Augustine
An early eastern gate to Texas, in area claimed in 1600s by both France and Spain. To back her claim, Spain in 1691 chartered from Mexico past this site El Camino Real (The King's Highway) and established nearby in 1717 Mission Dolores de los Aies.
History
San Augustine City Cemetery
This burial ground originated as the private cemetery of the J. C. Anderson family, whose residence stood on a nearby lot. The oldest of the 500 to 700 graves date from the 1830s. Prominent citizens buried here include Col. Stephen William Blount (1808-1890), signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence; Dr. George L. Crocket (1861-1936), Episcopal clergyman and historian; and B. F.
History
San Augustine County Courthouse
San Augustine County Courthouse When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here. San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836.