History
Mt. Sinai Cemetery
Mt. Sinai Cemetery has served residents of southeastern Sabine County for more than 100 years. The first interment in the burial ground dates to 1894. Earlier burial dates, however, represent graves relocated here from the Morris, Anthony and Robertson cemeteries after water encroachment from the Toledo Bend Reservoir, built by 1968, necessitated the reinterments.
History
Old Centerview Cemetery
Sabine County is one of the oldest settlement areas in the state. The farming community of Centerview, which dates to the 1840s, supported a stagecoach station, post office, general store, church and school. There are at least a dozen unmarked or undated gravesites in this community cemetery, but the oldest marked grave dates to 1899 and the interment of a baby, Merle Taylor.
History
Oliphint Chapel Cemetery
Alfred D. Oliphint came to Texas and received land grants in 1839 and 1844 in Sabine County. He served as Justice of the Peace and County Judge, and in 1879 deeded five acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church. This cemetery, located adjacent to the church, dates to at least 1870. Among those interred here are early settlers to the area, many of whom are buried in unmarked graves.
History
Pineland
Like many Sabine County communities, Pineland was established as a result of the arrival of the logging industry to the east Texas pine forests. A lumber camp was first recorded at this site along the route of the newly-constructed Gulf, Beaumont & Great Northern Railway in 1902.
History
Sabine County Courthouse
An 1858 election called for Sabine County offices to be moved from Milam (7 mi. N) to this more central location. The new county seat, Hemphill, was named for former Texas Supreme Court Justice John Hemphill. The first courthouse at this site burned in 1875 and was replaced by a larger frame structure. The present building was started in 1906 by N. A.
History
Sabine County Jail
Sabine County Commissioners contracted for this two-story Victorian jail building in 1903. It was completed the following year during the county judgeship of James T. Peace. Bricks for the exterior were supplied from the local kiln of Henry Huffman. The original interior space, which included an area for hangings, was remodeled in 1925 by the Southern Steel Company of San Antonio. W. H.
History
Sabine Town Cemetery
S. H. Morris sold 200 acres of his land grant in the 1830s for the establishment of the town of Sabine. Businesses included a post office, customs house, wagon factory, brick kiln and a tanning yard. The Sabine Town Cemetery contains 18 known graves; Mary Jane Scott's is the earliest recorded burial in 1842. The graveyard was in use until 1907; Harry C. Maunds is the last recorded burial.
History
Site of East Mayfield
The community of East Mayfield was built here in 1912 and named for Texas Railroad Commissioner Earle B. Mayfield. Formed around the large lumber mill built by Hiram Knox of the Knox Lumber Company, the town was incorporated in 1914. It had a population of about 1,200 and included homes, businesses, churches, a school, movie theater and a hospital.
History
The Milam Masonic Institute
Many pioneers belonged to the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, an order active in education. Among Masons settling in this area by 1845 were Republic of Texas leaders William Clark, James Gaines, D. S. Kaufman, Willis H. Landrum, and F. M. Weatherred. The Rev. Littleton Fowler (1803-46), a Mason, opened in 1845 in this county the Midway Institute, which was soon absorbed by Red Mount Seminary.
History
Two Miles Southeast to McMahan's Chapel
The oldest Methodist church having a continuous existence in Texas. Organized as a "religious society," September 1833 by the Reverend James P. Stevenson, 1808-1885, as a Methodist Church, July 1834 by the Reverend Henry Stephenson. First building was completed in 1839. Displaced by a new building in 1872 and again in 1900.
History
William Gasby Cemetery
Originally part of a Spanish land grant issued in 1794 to Ignacio Pirfirmo, the surrounding land was acquired in 1870 by former slave William Gasby. This cemetery was established when Gasby donated four acres of the land for a burial ground to be used by the neighboring black community.
History
Yellowpine Cemetery
Yellowpine was one of many logging communities founded in the East Texas pine forests during the early 20th century. After the death of J.C. Berryman on October 2, 1932, local residents received permission from the Temple Lumber Company to inter Berryman on the top of a hill, close to a fire watchtower. The cemetery was known as Tower Hill Cemetery until the tower's removal.