History
Barney C. Lowe
A participant in the capture of San Antonio in 1835. Born in Kentucky May 16, 1817. Died Nov. 30, 1874. His wife Philiann Bradshaw Lowe born Nov. 10, 1828. Died Nov. 5, 1865. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Industry & Science
C. A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise
Charles Alexander Nethery, Sr. established a general merchandise near this site in 1880. Nethery married Amanda Francis Speights in 1884 and the couple had twelve children. When fire destroyed the first general merchandise store in 1915, the current structure was built a few yards from the original site. After Charles Sr.
History
Cedar Grove Baptist Church
Although Cedar Grove Colored Baptist Church's founding date is unknown, first records of the African American church show the land is on property granted to James Mason in 1830. Church records suggest the church was established around 1890. In 1904, the congregation moved three miles southeast to its present location and by 1915, the church served as a school for black students.
History
County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery
This congregation began soon after the end of the Civil War in the Freedmen's community known as Weeks Quarters (about 2 mi. S). Early prayer meetings and worship services were conducted in homes. Led by the Rev. M. McBerry, the congregation built its first sanctuary in 1868.
History
Dennis Cemetery
This cemetery was established prior to 1836 when Texas was part of Mexico. Located on property later donated by pioneer settler Isaiah Hamilton, it was used as a burial site for slaves of the area around the pioneer Sulphur Spring community. The significance of the historic Dennis Cemetery is reflected in the lives of individuals buried here. Gravesites include those of Easter Scurlock, later Mrs.
History
El Lobanillo
In this vicinity was historic Spanish rancho called El Lobanillo. Pueblo of Gil Ybarbo (1729-1809), where his ill mother and other refugees remained when Spain evacuated colonists from Western Louisiana and East Texas in 1773. Granted 1794 to Juan Ignacio Pifermo, and inherited in early 1800s by John Maximillian (1778?-1866), this is now known as oldest continuously occupied site in East Texas.
History
Ener Cemetery
This burial ground has served southeastern Sabine County since the mid-19th century. Early settlers came to this area by the 1830s, establishing farms along the fertile soil of the Housen Bayou north of here. One pioneer was James Trehane Ener (Ennor), for whom this cemetery is named. Ener was born in 1810 in Cornwall County in England.
History
Fairmount Cemetery
As early as the 1850s, families settled here along South Prong Creek. Except for a brief period, a post office operated from 1854 until 1937. The community also supported a school until 1953. It is believed residents made burials at this community cemetery by the mid-1850s, but the first marked grave, that of Eli Elijah Smith, dates to 1874.
History
First Baptist Church of Hemphill
The First Baptist Church of Hemphill has served the community since 1858, when Hemphill was organized. A number of families from other states settled Hemphill at that time, including the five families that established the church.
History
Francis Marcus Weatherred
Came to Texas in 1835. Born in Albermarle County, Virginia, July 15, 1781. Soldier in the Creek Indian War and the Texas War for Independence, 1836. Died December 4, 1854. [Citizen of the Republic of TX medallion] His wife NANCY DOWELL WEATHERRED Born in Virginia, 1791; Died in Sabine County, Texas, 1864. Erected by The State of Texas 1962
History
Gaines Memorial Bridge
Named by the highway departments of Louisiana and Texas in honor of 2 brothers: JAMES GAINES, who owned and operated a ferry here 1819 to 1844 and was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and GENERAL PENDLETON GAINES, an officer in the U. S. Army, prominent in Louisiana history, and who was stationed near here in 1836 to observe the campaign in Texas. Texas Highway Department 1936
History
Gellatly Family Cemetery
Robert and Nancy Agnes Gellatly and their son, David, immigrated to Texas from Dundee, Scotland, between 1834 and 1836. Nancy's father, William Sturrock, and other family members also came with them. For his service in the Republic of Texas army, Robert received land in 1841. He later served Sabine County as justice of the peace, sheriff, tax collector, and chief justice.
History
Harper Chapel Cemetery
On December 1, 1890, I.H. Pratt deeded one acre of land at this site to J.R. Harper. Born in 1838 in Hinds County, Mississippi, Harper came to Texas with his wife Delilah (Rice) (1836-1908), with whom he had six children. He died in 1896 and was the first to be buried here, at what was then known as Harper Cemetery. His wife was buried next to him 12 years later.
History
Hemphill
In 1858, Sabine County organized the community of Hemphill, named for Texas Supreme Court Justice John Hemphill (1803-1862). An election determined that the county seat would be moved from Milam to this new settlement in the center of Sabine County. Earl Percy Beddoe surveyed and laid out the town site on an 80-acre tract owned by Richard Fendall Slaughter and his wife, Anna (Holman).
History
Hemphill Cemetery
The burials in this cemetery reflect the early history of Hemphill as a developing commercial center and seat of government. The oldest marked grave dates from 1867, nine years after the town was founded. The earliest gravestone marks the burial site of pioneer settler Marier C. Morris (1845-1867), the daughter of Jubal H. Ragan, an early area physician.
History
Isaac Low Cemetery
A veteran of the War of 1812, Isaac Low (1781-1853) migrated to this area from Tennessee in 1828. During the Texas Revolution he operated a nearby ferry across the Sabine River to aid settlers fleeing from the advancing Mexican army. He later served as a commissioner for Sabine County.
History
John C. Hale
John C. Hale, one of nine patriots killed at the Battle of San Jacinto, was born in Scott County, Virginia on April 3, 1806. He married Barshaba Miller in his home state in 1830, and by 1835 moved with his wife and children to Sabine County. They were living in Milam when John joined the war effort against Mexico as a first lieutenant.
History
Jones-Sweet House
C. A. Jones (1869-1962) used pine lumber grown on his own land to build the original two-room portion of this home before his marriage in 1892 to Roxie Horne (1876-1941). Jones, who operated a general store and shingle mill, later enlarged the house hauling stones to this site by oxcart for the chimneys. In 1907 he sold the structure to his father-in-law W. W.
History
Las Boregas Camp Site
Las Boregas Creek formed the eastern boundary of the 1794 Spanish land grant to Juan Ignacio Pifermo, making this grant the oldest in Sabine County. El Camino de los Tejas, a portion of El Camino Real - the main road into Spanish Texas - cost the creek near this point. During the Spanish colonial period, a well-known campsite developed near the creek.
History
Lowe Cemetery
Named for Barnabas Colistus "Barney" Lowe, an early pioneer who moved to Texas circa 1832, Lowe Cemetery has burials that date as early as 1840. For his service in the Siege of Bexar in 1835, Barney Lowe was granted 640 acres of land just south of the present-day cemetery. Later, Barney and his son, Valerious Carlock Lowe, served during the Civil War.
History
Matthew Arnold Parker
(May 17, 1801 - March 19, 1862) First chief justice of Sabine County, Republic of Texas. Parker was born in Georgia. He came here from Louisiana in 1822, settling at this site which was on land later included in his headright grant from the Republic. In 1836 he served in the Defensive Sabine Volunteers. President Sam Houston appointed him chief justice (or county judge) in Dec.
History
Meador Cemetery
Virginia-born Dr. Richard A. Meador (1808-1853) and his wife Mary Ann (Tucker) (1818-1864) came to Sabine County in 1844 and built a home near this site. Their young child Sarah died in 1850 and the family buried here in their garden since there was no public cemetery at that time.
History
Milam
Founded in 1828 as Red Mound Named in 1835 for Benjamin Rush Milam. Seat of justice of Sabine Municipality, 1835; of Sabine County, 1837-58. Incorporated December 29, 1837. Internal Revenue post during the Republic Headquarters of the Quartermaster's Department, C. S. A. for Sabine County, 1861-65. First home in Texas of John S. Roberts a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
History
Milam
The first known description of Milam was given by Stephen Fuller Austin in his diary as he camped along El Camino Real de los Tejas in 1821. Because of the towns close proximity to the trail, Milam saw many explorers, veterans, and pioneers pass through the area. Milam, one of the oldest towns in texas, was originally known as Red Mound, and was attractive to settlers for its agricultural wealth.
History
Milam Cemetery
Milam, the first county seat of Sabine County, has a history of travelers and visitors stretching back centuries. Native Americans and Spanish explorers, soldiers and missionaries passed through and often camped on Las Boregas Creek. Texian settlers encountering the natural abundance echoed the words of Stephen F.