History
Site of the Town of Runnels
First county seat of Runnels County. Established in 1880 as Runnels City. Declined after removal of the county seat to Ballinger in 1888.
History
Sons of Hermann Lodge No. 216
Organized in 1904 as Rowena Chapter of the Sons of Hermann, worldwide benevolent fraternal organization. Named for German national hero and tribal leader Hermann the Defender (18 B.C. - 19 A.D.), who helped break Roman power east of the Rhine River in 9 A.D. First officers of the Rowena Lodge were Michelus Feist, president; Julius J.
History
SPJST Lodge No. 49
On May 2, 1904, eighteen charter members organized SPJST Lodge No. 49 in Runnels County. Founded just eight years after the SPJST's organization, Lodge No. 49 continued the Czech-Texan benevolent society's goals of promoting fellowship and Czech culture, and providing life insurance and care for its members. In 1927, the lodge began working with local Sokol organization members on a new building.
History
St. John's Lutheran Church
Fritz Armrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht's land included the present site of the city of Winters; in 1892, he sold 100 acres for the city center and later donated two acres for use as a cemetery.
History
Sylvester Adams
Born in Tennessee, Adams as a youth came to Texas with his father. A firm believer in the Confederate cause, he served at Galveston during the Civil War. He helped organize Runnels County; was first county judge, 1880-1884; also served 1886-1888. He helped plan aid for his drouth-stricken county, 1886-1887, though many residents proudly refused to take "charity" relief.
Military
W. H. Brown
Born in Georgia. With his parents came to Texas 1857. He and a brother, John, were Texas Rangers -- W. H. ("Billy") serving June-December 1874. Billy Brown was the last man killed by Indians in Runnels County, in a fight to regain stolen horses.
History
Walthall Cemetery
This burial ground is the last surviving evidence of Walthall community. Situated west of here, just across the Colorado River, Walthall was the first stable settlement in Runnels County. It was located on land claimed in the 1860s by the John W. Guest family, and surrounded a stagecoach stop on the Camp Colorado - Fort Concho Road in the 1870s. The cemetery contains at least one unmarked grave.
History
Winters Brass Band
Focus of social life during Winters' early years, the band played throughout the area for box suppers, old settlers reunions, and political campaigns. Charles Grant organized the group in 1901 (seven years after the town was incorporated) and conducted when it played for the coming of Winters' first railroad in 1909. Grant served as bandmaster for fifteen years.
History
Winters FFA Chapter
In the fall of 1928, a Future Farmers club was organized with 30 members of the vocational agriculture class at Winters High School. The same year, a national Future Farmers of America (FFA) club was started in Kansas City, Mo. On April 10, 1930, the first Texas charter for the national organization was issued to the club in Winters.
History
Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M.
Founded in upper room of schoolhouse ten years before Winters became a town. Chartered December 7, 1892. First officers: J. T. Brown, worshipful master; Ervin Brown, senior warden; W. S. Mullin, junior warden. After a 1910 fire, lodge moved to present hall.
Industry & Science
Winters State Bank
Founded 1906 by John Q. McAdams, who served 17 years as cashier, and since as president. Original capitalization was $15,000. First located immediately south; moved to this site 1909. Bought Farmers and Merchants State Bank, 1913; First National Bank of Winters, 1937. Building was enlarged 1924 and 1954.