Transport
Abilene & Southern Depot
Morgan Jones (1840-1926), a Welsh-born railroad builder, and his nephews Morgan C. (1876-1964) and Percy Jones (1885-1951) built the Abilene and Southern Rail Line in 1909 between Abilene and Ballinger. This stone structure was finished soon after the first train arrived, Sept. 9, 1909. The design, with octagonal twin towers, was unusual for depots of that era.
History
Ballinger
Originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Santa Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas statesmen, veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish defenses of Galveston, served as Confederate receiver of enemy aliens property, was sent to negotiate peace for Texas.
Architecture
Carnegie Library Building
This native limestone library was built in 1909-11 with funds from New York industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Local banker Jo Wilmeth donated the land and the Rev. J. D. Leslie, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, served as the supervising architect.
History
Charles H. Noyes
Charles H. Noyes, 21, died when his horse fell while rounding up cattle on the Noyes' Ranch. His father and mother, Gus and Lula Noyes, erected monument in 1919 as a tribute to their son and all Texas cowboys. Pompeo Coppini of Chicago studied horses two years before sculpturing statue.
History
Colorado River Ferry Crossing
Used in 1880s for travel on Ballinger - San Angelo Road. Rates fixed by the county court ranged from one cent for a head of livestock to one dollar for 6 horses and a wagon. Ferry was in use until building of first cedar and pine wood bridge, 1888.
Industry & Science
Cotton Production in Runnels County
In 1884, when most of Runnels County was range for livestock, R.F. Counts (1838-1892) planted an experimental cotton field near this site. His success encouraged other area farmers, who raised 88 bales in 1888. First cotton gin in the nearby town of Content was a converted corn and flour mill. C.W. Miller and C.E. Woodrow built a new gin (1 mile northeast) about 1897.
History
Counts Cemetery
Earliest known interment was that of a child, Mary Louisa Hale, on November 30, 1880. In January, 1884, Andy and Christian Fannin sold 4 acres to M. C. Bright, J. M. Carter, R. F. Counts, John A. Chambers, J. M. Givens, D. W. and William Hale, Alf A. Hanscomb, J. T. Hardegree, P. Hawkins, F. B. Massengale, Jesse Rogers, and C. C. Simmons as a public cemetery for the rural community of "Content".
History
J. W. Clampitt
Pioneer Texas cattleman and law officer. Reared in Denton County, he joined brother-in-law in ranching, 1883-1886. They moved to "free grass" county of Presidio and ran Chalk Valley Ranch. Sometimes had to drive cattle 50 miles to water. On the range, carried their food in typical pioneer "greasy sack". After losing herd in 1885-1886 drouth, Clampitt went into the hardware business with R. A.
History
James Petty Flynt
Sheriff of Runnels County 1908-1914; 1920-1924. Elected at age 30. Last man to hold combined post of tax collector-sheriff in county. His activities as law officer included Texas Ranger service in World Wars I and II. He was elected secretary-treasurer of Runnels County Fair Association at its organization in 1911. He also served with the state game department from 1924 to 1940.
History
Maverick
Founded in the 1870s. Named for Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870), who came to Texas 1835. Fought in the Texas War for Independence. In Secession Convention, 1861, he was made one of the commissioners to negotiate surrender of United States troops in San Antonio. In 1853 he had land in this important ranching area.
History
Nancy Parker Cabin
Home of "Grandma" (Mrs. John) Parker, local herb doctor. Here she brewed medicinal teas in a huge pot over an open fire; walked miles in Indian-infested country to visit the sick. Lived here over a decade. Sold cabin after eyesight failed, 1888. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Industry & Science
Old Cotton Oil Mill
First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city a good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma. Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall and Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was quarried at Posey farm, on Gap Creek (southeast of city). Owned by Herman Giesecke and Associates, of Ballinger (1911-27); then by Anderson, Clayton & Co.
Architecture
Old Thiele Building
Built 1904 by Joe Thiele (1850-1940), sheep rancher and civic leader. Native stone used here was dug at Willow Creek (2 mi. W). First floor housed Runnels County National Bank; upstairs was Miles Opera House -- social and cultural center of town -- staging road shows, political rallies, and wrestling bouts. In 1923, school was located here.
History
Oldest Rock Building in City
Completed in 1903. 24-inch walls are made of sand and lime mix mortar. Originally used as grain and feed store. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Pumphrey
Founded about 1899. Named for Wm. M. Pumphrey (1849-1937), early settler. A deacon of the Baptist church, he would put his organ in a wagon on weekends and take it, his wife and 11 children to attend services in Wingate. In 1900, as the settlement grew, a one-room frame school was built and named New Hope, to embody the aspirations of the citizens.
History
Ranger Campsite
One-half mile east of here, some twenty-five to thirty Texas rangers of Company E were stationed in 1874, under the command of Capt. W. J. "Jeff" Maltby. They kept sentries posted on nearby "Ranger Peak" to guard against Indians. Remains of a dry well they dug are still visible.
History
Ranger Campsite Water Well
In an effort to protect area settlements, Governor Richard Coke established the Frontier Battalion in 1874. Comprised of six companies of volunteer Rangers, it was headed by Major John B. Jones. This campsite was part of a defensive line which reached from the Red River to the coastal area. Rangers of Co. E, under the leadership of Captain W. J. Maltby, were stationed here in 1874.
History
Ranger Peak
Named for Company E, Texas Rangers, which was stationed 1/2 mile east of peak in 1874. Atop peak, Rangers (Under Capt. W. J. "Jeff" Maltby) kept a lookout for Indians. Outfit was part of the frontier battalion, organized to protect Texas settlers on frontier stretching from Red River to the Nueces. Camp was abandoned in 1876.
History
Robert Cooke, M.D.
Born in Emory, Texas, youngest son of William and Nancy Cooke. Attended Waco College (now Baylor University); medical school in Kentucky, received degree, 1886. Began practice, Kentuckytown. Moved to Winters area in 1889. Became town's first doctor; and deacon in first church and later pastor. Married 1886, Sallie Mitchell. Had five children. Beloved by all as physician and Baptist preacher.
Architecture
Rock Hotel
This two-story native stone commercial structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Heath, who operated a local mercantile in partnership with Ira Beard. Constructed to accommodate early travelers and workers on the railroad, the Rock Hotel was completed in 1909, the year that the Abilene and Southern Railway line was extended to Winters.
History
Runnels County
Formed from Bexar and Travis counties. Created February 1, 1858. Organized February 16, 1880. Named in honor of Hiram G. Runnels 1796-1857 lawyer and governor of Mississippi. Member of the Texas Legislature. County seat, Runnels City, 1880. Ballinger, since 1888.
Architecture
Runnels County Courthouse
Constructed here, 1888-89, after hotly contested battle with Runnels City for county seat. (County had been organized 1880.) Structure stands on one of largest courthouse squares in Texas -- 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to town lot sale by Santa Fe Railroad, June 29, 1886. In 1941, extensive remodeling modernized building.
History
San Clemente Mission
The first mission known to have been established in Texas east of the Pecos River, San Clemente was a hastily built, two-room structure located on a hill about 17 miles south of present Ballinger. (Some historians place the site farther south, near Junction.
History
Site of Old Communities of Mazeland and Wilmeth
Mazeland (2 1/2 miles southwest) was founded in 1903 when a post office and store opened on A. B. Hutchinson's Ranch. Community was probably named for the corn or "maize" which grows in the area. A one-room school, built 1 mile west (1904), later served both places. By 1906 the settlement had enlarged, so this section was named in honor of Joe Wilmeth, a popular Ballinger banker.
History
Site of Pickettville
First civilian settlement in Runnels County. Founded 1862 by frontiersmen whose picket houses and corrals gave place its name. Original settlers included Mr. and Mrs. John W. Guest and three sons; Henry and R. K. Wylie, their cowboys and Negro servant; Mrs. Felicia Gordon and five sons. In 1862, "Rich" Coffey's family also moved here.