History
Ringo Ferry and Ringo Cemetery
Peter and Edy (Jones) Ringo came to Texas from Missouri with their nine children in 1840. The family established a ferry on the Sulphur River which became a local landmark and provided for travel, shipping and communication between the Red River and central Texas areas. Peter and Edy Ringo's son Abraham acquired land on the north and south sides of the ferry in 1842.
History
Robert Hamilton
In memory of Robert Hamilton - a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence - March 2, 1836 - Born in Blevard, Scotland - March 24, 1783 - Died in Red River County, Texas - 1843
History
Site of First Anglo-American Settlement in Lamar County
Legend tells of French and Spanish forts before the families of J. W. G. Pierson, Luke and John Roberts, and the Mason brothers settled here in 1820. Within a year, in the absence of the men, women, children and slaves were victims of an Indian raid. Five of the men pursued, but outnumbered, they too were killed. Be silent, friend! Here heroes died to blaze a trail for other men.
History
Site of McKenzie College
Site of McKenzie College, an outstanding school of the southwest before the Civil War. Established in 1841 by the Reverend John W.P. McKenzie (1806-1877), pioneer missionary to the Choctaws, circuit rider in Texas in 1838. Opened in a log cabin, it expanded to four large buildings on 900 acres. Chartered January 10, 1854. Enrolled 300 boarding pupils annually. Closed in 1869.
History
Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A.
Across the street from this site, and facing the County Courthouse which was later (1885) torn down, the Donoho Hotel and stage stand operated during the Civil War, 1861-65. Travel in those years was heavy. Soldiers arriving in Texas from Arkansas, Indian Territory or elsewhere would catch the stage here for home.
History
Stone's Chapel Cemetery
Stone's Chapel Cemetery The first known burial at Stone's Chapel Cemetery is that of Parson Amos M. Stone (1813-1862). A New York native, Stone was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister in Tennessee who moved to Texas in 1857 with his wife, Margaret Rodgers, their five children and his four children from his first marriage to Jane McConnell.
History
The Northern Standard
On this site stood the home of The Northern Standard - A pioneer Texas newspaper edited and published from August 20, 1842 to October 25, 1887 by Colonel Charles DeMorse (1816-1887) - A loyal statesman and a finished scholar often referred to as "The Father of Texas Journalism" - After his death the paper was continued until December 6, 1888 by his daughter Isabella DeMorse Latimer - "Long shall…
History
The Rev. William Stevenson
(October 4, 1768 - March 5, 1857) Frontier minister; friend of Stephen F. Austin, father of Texas. A circuit rider in Missouri Conference, Methodist Church, Mr. Stevenson in 1815 made a pastoral trip to Pecan Point, home of Claiborne Wright, member of newly-arrived Anglo-American colony on Texas side of the Red River.
History
Tuggle Springs Cemetery
This burial ground was established by Andrew Jackson Tuggle (1815-1877) a farmer who moved here from Tennessee c. 1850 with his wife Elizabeth (1819-1895). When a mother and infant died in 1864, Tuggle set aside property for use as a cemetery and for a church and school. As settlers came to the area, they began to use the burial ground, which is named for Tuggle and for nearby natural springs.
History
Warthan Cemetery
George Washington Warthan came to Texas from Tuscaloosa, Alabama with brothers Thomas I. And Robert J. in 1852. G.W. wed Amanda Johnson, and the couple settled in the Red River Valley in 1855. In 1861, he mustered into Company E of the 32nd Texas Cavalry and during his service saw action in more than 30 Civil War battles.
History
William Becknell
(Star and Wreath) Born in Virginia, 1797. Pioneered the Santa Fe Trail. Served in the Army of the Republic of Texas. Died 1865. Erected by the State of Texas 1957.