History
A House of the William Becknell Family
William Becknell (1788-1856) of Missouri is renowned for opening the Santa Fe Trail from the United States into Spain's New World Empire in 1821. He and his wife Mary settled in 1835 near here, on Becknell's Prairie, with a daughter and two sons. On the way to the Alamo, David Crockett visited them. Becknell himself fought in 1836 in the Texas War for Independence.
Architecture
Andrew Thompson House
This Gothic revival home was built in 1874 for the family of Andrew Thompson. It was constructed by W. Otto Glossnop, a German cabinetmaker who came to Clarksville in the 1860s. The home was sold to George Burdett in 1882 and remained in that family until 1947.
History
Arnold E. A. Roitsch Archeological Site
In this vicinity archeologists have located a large village and ceremonial center occupied between A.D. 1000 and A.D. 1700 by ancestors of the Caddo Indians. Sedentary farmers, the Caddos built villages and farms on alluvial terraces of the Red River. Evidence from the site has revealed a number of scattered farmsteads and two earthen mounds which served as religious or ceremonial centers.
History
Bluff Cemetery
Benjamin Weatherly, a veteran of the U.S.-Mexico War and Civil War, donated approximately two acres here for a church and cemetery in the 1870s. The Baptist Church of Christ at Liberty organized here in 1878 and was associated with the burial ground for thirty years before moving to a new location. Weatherly, his wife Sarah (King), and three of their children are buried here.
History
Bogata Cemetery
William Humphries (1805-1880), an 1818 to mid-1820s pioneer in this area, returned in 1836 to settle permanently. In 1840 his 9-year-old daughter died and was buried near the line between his headright and that of Isaac Wilson. When a Wilson relative died, that burial was placed 100 feet away. Later, neighbors also buried their dead here. Lots were always free. The families deeded 4.
History
City of Clarksville
City of Clarksville, incorporated December 29, 1837. Named in honor of James Clark, who settled near here in 1834.
History
Clarksville Cemetery
This burial site was first used in the 1830s for the family of James Clark, the founder of Clarksville, who is interred here. The earliest grave is that of his father Benjamin Clark, a veteran of the American Revolution. Other graves include those of Albert Hamilton Latimer, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, the noted Texas journalist Col. Charles DeMorse and the Rev.
History
David G. Burnet
[center front] David Gouverneur Burnet - [left front] Born April 14 - 1788 - in Newark - New Jersey - Died in Galveston - Texas - December - 5 - 1870 - Delegate to the Second Convention of Texas - 1833 - Judge of the Department of the Brazos - 1834 - Delegate to the Consultation 1835 - [right front] President - Ad Interim - Of the Republic of Texas - March 16 to October 22 - 1836 - Vice President…
History
Five Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Red River County
On March 2, 1836, members of the Convention of 1836 signed the Texas Declaration of Independence at Washington-on-the-Brazos, declaring Texas independent from Mexico. Of the 59 signers, five were from Red River County, more than from any of the other old Spanish-Mexican districts or the new Republic of Texas counties.
History
Garland Cemetery
Joseph and Martha Starks Wagley came to Red River County from Louisiana in 1833, settling in this area south of present-day Annona. The couple had eight children by the time of Martha's death in 1857, and Joseph later married widow Nancy Ann Coffee, with whom he had an additional two children. He served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, and his son Starks died in the conflict.
History
Home of Col. Charles DeMorse
Home of Col. Charles DeMorse (1816-1887), pioneer soldier, statesman and publisher. Founder and Editor of the Northern Standard, 1842-1887. First and most important newspaper in the region during that period. Around two log rooms built in 1833, he erected his colonial home in which he resided until his death. Occupied continuously since by his descendants.
History
J. D. Tippit
Slain in the line of duty while on alert for President John F. Kennedy's assassin, J. D. Tippit (1924-1963) grew up on his family's farm near this site. He served as a paratrooper in the 17th Airborne Division during World War II and received the Bronze Star. J.D. married his high school sweetheart in 1946 and started a family in Red River County.
History
Jane Chandler Gill
(January 1, 1782 - September 20, 1816) An Englishwoman who died soon after settling in Jonesboro. Her grave is one of Texas' oldest Caucasian burials.
Military
Jesse B. Bowman
Alamo defender Jesse B. Bowman was born in Tennessee about 1785. By 1811 he was living in Illinois where his son Joseph T. Bowman was born that year. Bowman and his family settled in Ouichita County, Arkansas, until it became more populated and they moved to Hempstead County. In the 1830s Jesse B.
History
John Nance Garner
In this house, John Nance Garner, Vice-President of the United States since 1933, was born November 22, 1869. Member Texas Legislature, 1898-1902. Member of United States Congress since 1903. Speaker of the House, 1931.
History
John Nance Garner Home
(1868-1967) As a young lawyer lived, 1889-92, in this house owned by his parents. He rose from Uvalde County Judge (1893-96), to Texas Legislature (1898-1902), to U. S. Congress (1904-32), with a term as Speaker, House of Representatives), to Vice President of the United States, 1933-41. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971
History
Jonesboro
(About a half mile NW was 19th century town) One of first ports of entry into Texas for Anglo-Americans. Opened early as 1814; heavily used by 1817. Named for 1819-21 ferry owner Henry Jones (1789-1861). Claimed by both Mexico and the United States, town was 1828-37 county seat of Miller County, Ark. Community had 2,350 people by 1834.
History
McCrury Cemetery
Wilson, John, and Sam McCrury and their two sisters arrived in this area from Missouri in 1835. A private family burial ground was begun on the land of John McCrury upon his death in 1864. Although there are probably earlier burials here, his is the oldest documented grave. The cemetery became a community graveyard for the people of the McCrury area of Red River County.
History
McKenzie College
Site of McKenzie College - An outstanding school of the Southwest before the Civil War - Established in 1841 by the Reverend John W. P. McKenzie (1806-1877), pioneer missionary to the Choctaws, circuit rider in Texas in 1838 - Opened in a log cabin, it expanded to four large buildings on 900 acres - Chartered January 10, 1854 - Enrolled 300 boarding pupils annually - Closed in 1869
History
Members of Confederate Congresses
(Texas in the Civil War) During the 4 years, 4 months after secession, Texas sent 18 lawmakers to the Confederate capitols. Her delegates to the Provisional Congress, Feb. 1861 to Feb. 1862, were John R. Gregg, Freestone County; John Hemphill, Travis County; Wm. B. Ochiltree, Nacogdoches County; Williamson S. Oldham, Washington County; John H. Reagan, Anderson County; Thomas N.
History
Near Here at the Old Jonesboro Crossing Sam Houston
Near here at the Old Jonesboro Crossing, Sam Houston, an envoy of President Andrew Jackson first set foot on Texas soil, December 2, 1832.
History
New Haven Cemetery
Acreage for a community church, school, and graveyard was given in 1859 by George M. Sargeant. The first burial in the cemetery was for George W. Rolston (d. 1859), a veteran of the War of 1812. Additional land for the New Haven Baptist Church and Cemetery was donated by John and Lillie (Doak) Jamison in 1898.
Architecture
Old W. L. Nunnely Home
Built in 1868 by W. L. Nunnely. Hand-hewn oak logs over bois d'arc wood blocks are joined by wooden pegs and square nails. Spacious 22 x 20-foot rooms have oak floors and high, 12-foot ceilings. Distinctive design in ornate, hand-carved mantel is repeated in cornices and wainscoting (half paneling). As Baptist parsonage, 1912-1927, was scene of hundreds of weddings. Restored by Mr. and Mrs. J. A.
Architecture
Red River County Jail
This building was completed in 1889 as the second jail for Red River County. Architects Maj. S. B. Haggart and Marshall Sanguinet designed the structure as a companion building to the County Courthouse, which had been completed five years earlier. The elaborate high Victorian Italianate styling of the Red River County Jail features finely crafted stonework and intricate metal cornices.
Architecture
Red River Courthouse
Records date from 1836. Fifth courthouse for county. Built 1885. Italian Renaissance design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966