History
Midway Cemetery
Andrew A. (1816-1898) and Mary Barnes (1817-1857) McKee came to Texas in 1845 and purchased land here in 1854. Mary, who died in childbirth, was the first person buried here. According to local tradition, just prior to her death Mary marked this site for family burials with her footprint on a gopher mound. By 1865 the cemetery served the Midway community and the surrounding area.
History
Moscow
Settled by David Green, during era of the Republic of Texas. First post office established under name of Green's in 1847. Changed to Moscow in 1853. Incorporated in 1856. Was stage stop on the Nacogdoches- Liberty Road. Site of several famous schools. Has had free school system since 1851.
Transport
Moscow, Camden & San Augustine Railroad
Texas' shortest (and one of its oldest) "mixed"-train railroads. Has passenger and freight cars pulled by a single engine on a 7-mile system, 5 days a week. Chartered 1898 by lumberman W. T. Carter to connect sawmill town of Camden with Texas & New Orleans Railway at Moscow. "Panama No. 201," now retired to Camden with other old steam engines, was used in building the Panama Canal in 1914.
History
Near Boyhood Home of John Wesley Hardin
(1853-1895) Notorious outlaw who killed over 30 men. son of a Methodist minister. "Wes" was an ardent southerner. His resistance to Union occupation troops made him a hero and set him on his lawless career. He always claimed he shot only in self defense. He was killed in El Paso, 1895.
History
Nettles Cemetery
Malachi Theophilus Nettles and his wife Harriett brought their family from Alabama to Texas in 1844 and settled near what became Livingston. Malachi T. Nettles was appointed first county treasurer when Polk County was created in 1845, and later held other elected offices. The Nettles' son, Stephen Joseph, became the family patriarch upon Malachi's death.
History
Old City Cemetery (Old Livingston Cemetery)
This historic graveyard began in 1840 with the burial of four-year-old Josephus Choate, son of Moses Livingston Choate (1794-1867) and Ursula Choate (1807-c. 1880). Early pioneers from Kentucky, the Choates moved to Texas and received a league of land while this area was still a part of Mexico. On his land, Choate established a town he called Springfield.
Architecture
P. B. Maxey Home
Built early 1860s on a 160-acre tract by P. B. Maxey, farmer and rancher. Constructed of pine logs, using pegs, square nails, and hand-riven shingles, house had two rooms and a kitchen. Remodeled 1947, the home is still in Maxey family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Polk County
Polk County, created from Liberty County March 30, 1846, organized July 13, 1846 with Livingston as county seat. Named for James Knox Polk, 1795-1849, President of the United States who favored the annexation of Texas. Early settlements were Drew's Landing, Mariana, Swartout. On 1,280 acres granted by the state in 1854, the descendants of the Alabama Indians still live.
Architecture
Polk County Courthouse
Polk County Courthouse Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the Commissioners Ccourt hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland & Fink to design their new building.
History
Polk County, C. S. A.
During Civil War, 1861-65, an area of piney woods, farms, thickets, with an Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation. Had only 600 voters in 1860 but sent 900 soldiers into the Confederate Army. Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st Regiment; Co. F, 4th Regiment; Co. H and Co. K, 5th Regiment). Also organized Co. K, 14th Texas Infantry, Randal's Brigade; co.
History
Site of Old Andress Inn
Center civic, social and business affairs, early Polk County. Built about 1848 by James Andress, from South Carolina. Contained restaurant, saloon, grocery store, post office, stage station. Had livery stable nearby. Among noted guests was General Sam Houston. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Site of the Town of Swartwout
86 blocks and 2 public squares were laid out here in 1838 with James Morgan, Arthur Garner and Thomas Bradley as proprietors. Named in honor of Samuel Swartwout (1783-1856), New York speculator and politician who advanced funds in 1836 to the Texas government. Important steamboat landing before the Civil War. Ferry crossing until 1930. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby
(1878-1964) Businessman and politician William Pettus Hobby was born near this Moscow site, the son of Eudora Adeline (Pettus) and Edwin E. Hobby, a state senator and judge. At age 17, William joined the staff of the Houston Post and rose to managing editor at 23. He was named publisher of the Beaumont Enterprise in 1907. Texas voters elected William P. Hobby Lieutenant Governor in 1914 and 1916.
History
The Livingston Telephone Company
Polk County's oldest public utility, the Livingston Telephone Company was organized Aug. 3, 1903, with S.H. Smith as president. The locally owned, independent telephone exchange operated a 24-hour switchboard on the second floor of a building at 315 N. Jackson. the system started with 40 hand-cranked telephones in service.
Architecture
The Sawyer House
This home was built in 1900 by Albert Leroy "Roy" Sawyer (d. 1958) for his bride, Estella Marshall Sawyer (1882-1964). Sawyer was an investor in land, cotton gins, and local utilities. Mrs. Sawyer, known to her neighbors as "Miss Stella," came to Texas with her family from Mississippi.
History
Town of Corrigan
Located in piney woods of east Texas. Founded about 1860 by landowner and settler James B. Hendry, who donated property for original townsite. When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad was built through area in the early 1880s, a prosperous timber-based economy developed here. The town was named for T. & N. O. official, Pat Corrigan.
History
Trinity Lodge No. 14, A.F. & A.M.
In 1840 this Masonic Lodge was organized in the pioneer town of Swartout (Swartwout) (6 mi. SW) in what was then Liberty County. After erecting a two-story building, the Masons assisted in organizing the first school in the area and furnished the lower floor of the Lodge for school use. Members gave money for salaries, tuition, and supplies.
History
Village of the Alabama and Coushatti Indians
Who came into Texas early in the 19th century and have always been friendly with the whites.
History
Wheeler Cemetery
This rural graveyard began when Alabama native Jefferson L. Wheeler and his second wife, Hannah, buried their daughter, Vina (b. 1864), here in 1875. Vina died in a hunting accident. The Wheelers later donated an acre which included Vina's burial site to the surrounding community to be used as a "neighborhood burying ground.
History
William Barnett Hardin
Republic of Texas Soldier (April 20, 1806 - July 28, 1885). Born in Tennessee. Came to Texas in 1826; established plantation near Moscow as first permanent white settler in the area. Was first lieutenant in Texas War for Independence. Wounded in Battle of San Antonio, Dec. 1835. For service, received a 640-acre Republic of Texas land grant signed by President Sam Houston.