History
"Polk County Enterprise"
Founded in 1882 as "East Texas Pinery" by J. M. and J. C. Stockton. Changed name to "Polk County Enterprise" about 1903. when the office installed first linotype machine (1920), school was dismissed so pupils could watch it operate. Ben Ogletree family and Billy C. Dove, present publishers. (1970)
History
Adams Cemetery
Now named for a former county commissioner, this burial ground has also been known as Lone Pine Cemetery, Brown Cemetery and Adams-Lott Cemetery. It began as a family graveyard for the Lott family. In 1843, Joshua and Anna (Woolsey) Lott moved with their family from Mississippi to the Republic of Texas. One of the couple's sons, Calvin, farmed this property.
History
Augustus Darby Home
For 6 months, 25 slaves drew square nails from old lumber to seal with hand-sawed rough cypress this pegged double-log house built in 1859 by Augustus Darby. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Birthplace of Margo Jones
(1911-1955) World-famed genius of drama. Won Broadway acclaim directing "The Glass Menagerie." Led move to decentralize American theatre. Established, in Dallas, theatre-in-the-round (first professional, resident, repertory theatre of its kind) and wrote book on its technique. Premiered 58 new plays. Discovered Tennessee Williams, William Inge and others.
History
Capt. Hardy B. Purvis
(1891-1961) Born in Livingston. In his 20s, became a local peace officer. Spent years 1927-1933 and 1935-1956 in Texas Ranger service. Noted for coolness during danger in oil boom towns, dock strikes, prison riots, Purvis saw duty at Beaumont, Borger, Longview, Lufkin, and Fort Worth. Was captain of a Ranger company and stationed at Houston when he retired. Son L.H. was also a Ranger.
History
Captain Isaac Newton Moreland Turner, C. S. A.
(April 3, 1839 - April 15, 1863) was born in Putnam County, Georgia. His father, J. A. S. Turner, was a plantation owner with Texas landholdings in Polk and Liberty counties. The Turner family moved to Texas prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. Ike Turner helped to organize and train a mounted artillery company of 80 Polk County volunteers for the Confederacy.
History
Chief John Blount
John Blount was the son of William Blount, later a U.S. senator, and a Coushatta woman. While in Florida, he became principal chief of the Apalachee or Apalachicola Indians. During the First Seminole War (1814-1815), he achieved a certain level of distinction by serving as a guide to General Andrew Jackson. After Jackson became president, Blount was invited to Washington D.C.
History
Chief John Scott
(1805-1913) Came to Texas in 1830s; served in Confederate Army in Civil War; was chief of Alabama Indians here most of his life.
History
Confederate Service of Alabama and Coushatta Indians
Alabama and Coushatta Indians of Polk County were trained as cavalrymen in 1861 by Indian Agent Robert R. Neyland as the war between the states advanced. In April 1862, nineteen Alabama and Coushatta, including Chief John Scott, enlisted in the Confederate Army as members of Company G, 24th Texas Cavalry. They trained in Hempstead, Texas, and in Arkansas, where their commander, General Thomas C.
History
Dunbar High School
Formal education for African American children in Livingston started in a building on West Street in the late 1800s. By 1908, the school also offered teaching certificates through one-month institutes. Later, part of a previous schoolhouse for Livingston's caucasian students was put on logs and pulled across town by mule teams for a new African American schoolhouse.
History
E. C. Matthews Home
Built by "Daddy Poe," in 1856. Has columns made of hollowed pine trees; swinging upstairs porch. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Early Indian Trails
From 1830 to 1840 five Indian trails (some several centuries old) crossed Polk County. The Coushatta and Alabama tribes started two trails and also traveled Long King's, Kickapoo, and Battise traces. These routes helped settlers map roads; modern highways follow the trails in places. (1968)
History
Early Roads in Polk County
Travel was of great importance in Polk County's early days. Civilized Indians-- particularly Creeks, Alabamas, Coushattas and Kickapoos-- were numerous and had many trails for intercommunication. Long King's Trace (named for a chief) led from Alabama villages through site of present Livingston, past site of this marker.
History
First National Bank
Organized as a private bank -- Polk County Bank -- about 1898, by G. W. Riddle and C. H. Davison. Became Citizens National Bank in 1902, year the town burned. Rebuilt as Livingston's first brick building. Was reorganized 1910 as First National Bank, with John W. Cochran president. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
First State Bank of Livingston
Early state bank of Texas. Organized in 1910 as Guaranty State Bank with H. D. Reynolds as the first president. L. F. Gerlach, second president, operated one of city's best-known stores. The descendants of J. L. Muller, third president, have served as leaders in the bank since 1910. Ollege Morrison, fourth president, owned Livingston Drug Company for many years. Miss May Andress, daughter of S. J.
History
Forest Hill Cemetery
By 1905, all the lots in Livingston's Old City Cemetery had been filled, and community leaders began looking for a new cemetery site. Residents established Forest Hill Cemetery Association in 1906 and bought land from James and Arabella Henington on a hill south of the downtown area. In November 1906, Arthur B. Garner was the first to be buried in the new cemetery.
Architecture
G. G. Nettles Home
Built 1895 of long leaf pine with cypress siding and trim. Design, Victorian, with handmade gingerbread trim. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Greenfield Cemetery
In 1846, local officials designated a block in the central part of Livingston for use as a cemetery for local African Americans. Originally called Livingston Colored Cemetery, the burial ground was bounded by Feagin, Tyler, Sherman and Houston streets. As the railroad brought new residents to the city in the 1880s, cemetery space became limited.
History
Lilly Island Cemetery
This burial ground served residents of several communities that formed in this area beginning in the late 19th century. Former slaves resided in these settlements; some came to Texas from Savannah, Goergia with plantiation owner Daniel Hamilton. When Hamilton passed away, his daughter Margaret, with husband John S. Havis, began to manage the plantation.
History
Livingston
Seat of Polk County, founded in 1846; incorporated 1902. Named by Moses L. Choate, donor of its 100-acre townsite. It became vital trade, educational and social center for people of sawmills and boat landings on the Trinity River. General Sam Houston was among guests dancing at Old Andress Inn in the early 1850s.
History
Locomotive No. 5
Built in 1911 by Philadelphia's Baldwin Locomotive Works, this locomotive was first used to transport timber in Florida. In the 1920s, it was purchased for use in Texas' logging industry by the Angelina County-based Carter-Kelley Lumber Company.
Military
Lt. Col. James M. Parker Jr.
Born in Houston and raised in Livingston, James Parker attended Lon Morris Junior College and Texas A&M University. He then enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, with his first assignment to fly anti-submarine patrols along the Pacific coast. As the U.S. entered WWII, Parker volunteered for the Doolittle Raid, the secret mission which was the first attack on the Japanese mainland.
History
Major Henry W. Augustine
(1806-1874) In 1827 moved here from Alabama. For battle injuries and services under Republic of Texas, he received a land grant and wooden leg. Was in Battle of Nacogdoches, 1832; delegate to Consultation of 1835, before the war with Mexico; in Cherokee War, 1838.
History
Margaret V. "Margo" Jones
Livingston native Margo Jones was one of the leading figures of American theatre during her brief life. A director and innovator, she played a key role in the careers of many actors and playwrights, most notably Tennessee Williams and William Inge; The Glass Menagerie and Inherit the Wind were among the Broadway shows she directed.
History
Menard Chapel Church, School, and Cemetery
Michel B. Menard, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and his brother Pierre J. settled here in 1833. According to local tradition sometime prior to 1854 the Mt. Gileard Baptist Church built a small sanctuary here in Menard Chapel, a farm and ranch community which developed along Menard Creek. Shortly after the Civil War ended Mrs. E. O.