History
Corsicana City Jail of 1908
The city's first brick jail, this structure was erected in 1908 adjacent to the city hall on a lot purchased from Rebecca A. Croft, widow of Judge William Croft. On the lower floor were cells and on the top floor the police chief's office, occupied by Will S. Knight, Corsicana's first police chief, 1906-36. His office was moved to the new city hall in 1924 and two more cells added.
History
Corsicana in 1860-1872
A center of patriotism especially committed to the Southern cause. After the Nov. 1860 presidential election, citizens lowered the Stars and Stripes and ran up the Texas flag on the Courthouse. Early in 1861 influential men beat drums on the Square to recruit soldiers for the Confederacy. Some 450 Navarro County men enlisted. These included two officers who made outstanding records, Cols. Roger Q.
History
Corsicana Newspapers
The first newspaper in Navarro County, called the "Prairie Blade," began publication in 1855 and was owned by Dan Donaldson. By 1859 the paper was owned by R. A. Van Horn who changed its name to the "Navarro Express." Paper was in short supply with the coming of the Civil War, and the "Express" was issued only when paper was available.
History
Corsicana Public Library
The women's clubs of Corsicana were instrumental in opening the city's first public library in 1901 at W. 6th and Main St. The city created a library board in 1904 and secured a construction grant from the Carnegie Corporation the following year. In 1906 the Carnegie Library opened at W. Collin and N. 12th St. The building included a large auditorium which held numerous community gatherings. Mrs.
History
Corsicana State Home
Created by the 20th Legislature in 1887, the State Orphan Asylum originally provided care for orphans under age 14. State officials located the institution in Corsicana after local citizens donated over 200 acres at this site. The first students arrived in 1889, and by 1890 enrollment totaled 54. Classes met in the chapel before a school building was erected in 1889.
History
David Reed Mitchell
David Reed Mitchell, born in 1797 in North Carolina, arrived in Robertson County, Texas, in 1845. He was a surveyor by trade, and had surveyed the upper Trinity and Brazos River areas in 1844. He became surveyor of the Robertson County Land District, and worked on the Mercer and Peters colonies, as well as the original plans of Navarro County and Corsicana.
History
David Wilson Campbell
(May 4, 1812 - April 4, 1879) A native of Georgia, David Wilson Campbell migrated to Texas in 1835. He served in the Texas army the following year during the Texas War for Independence. A pioneer farmer in Navarro County, he gave ten acres of land to the Harmony Methodist Church in 1845. Part of that acreage was used for this cemetery where many Campbell descendants are buried.
History
Dr. George Washington Hill
Came to Texas in 1837. Indian agent, 1840-41. Member of the Congress of Texas, 1839-1842. Secretary of war under Presidents Houston and Jones. Hill County was named in his honor. Dr. Hill was a graduate of Transylvania University. Born in Tennessee, April 29, 1814; died in Navarro County, Texas, May 29, 1860. His wife Katherine M. Hill, born September 23, 1812; died April 24, 1871.
History
Dr. Will Coleman, Sr.
A native Texan, Will Coleman (1882-1953) grew up caring for livestock on the Robert Witherspoon Ranch in Chatfield (12 miles northeast). His family moved to Corsicana in 1899; in 1911, Coleman graduated from the McGills University School of Veterinary Science in Montreal, Canada, and received his license to practice in Texas nine years later.
History
Dresden Cemetery
The pioneer town of Dresden was originally named for its founder, Ethan Melton (1793-1873), who settled here in 1841. The first post office in Navarro County was established in Melton in 1846. The original three-acre portion of this cemetery, probably opened for burials in the 1840s, was donated to the community by Ethan Melton by 1850.
History
Dunn-Ransom Home
A native of Kentucky, Ewing Eric Dunn (1835-1917) came to Texas in 1850. He served as Navarro County deputy sheriff, 1854-1858, and joined the Confederate army during the Civil War. In 1866 he built the first portion of this frame house. Dunn was county sheriff from 1876 to 1884. S. M.
Industry & Science
Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines
First public use of natural gas began in Texas in 1902, from transmission lines on this street, serving local homes and businesses. These early lines were forerunners of mains that now transport Texas gas to three-fourths of the United States and Mexico. Other natural gas industry pioneer achievements in Navarro County were the first use of meters, in 1905 at Chatfield (12 mi.
History
Eureka Cemetery
Settlement in this area began in the 1840s. J. F. and J. M. Floyd, members of the local Richland Associate Reform Presbyterian Church organized in 1876, donated land here in 1878 for church and graveyard purposes. The first recorded burial was that of infant Nellie E. Sloan in 1885. The cemetery has been enlarged over the years and in 1995 contained about 13 acres.
History
Fire Station No. 2
The Corsicana Volunteer Fire Department was organized in Dec. 1879, with J. J. Strupper as chief. Volunteer fire fighters carried buckets before acquiring hand- and horse-drawn equipment. Fire Station No. 1, located at city hall, was first occupied in 1892 by Chief F. N. Drane, who supervised drilling of artesian wells to supply water. First Station No.
History
Former Site of Fred Douglass - G.W. Jackson School
Corsicana built its first public school for blacks on this site in 1881. The early formal name, commemorating ethnic leader Frederick Douglass (1817-95), was changed in 1925 to honor the first principal, G.W. Jackson (1854-1940). A Booker T. Washington disciple, Jackson introduced industrial education and other progressive ideas.
History
Former Site of Liberty Hill Settlement
A mile west of the 1838 Battle Creek Massacre site, this cemetery marks the location of Liberty Hill, an Anglo-American community begun during the following decade. Samuel and Prudence (Matthews) Wright, from Maury County, Tenn., settled here in 1849. They were relatives of Dr. George W. Hill, Indian agent and trading post operator at Spring Hill, half a day's wagon ride from here.
History
Frank Neal Drane
(1862-1938) A Navarro County native, Frank Neal Drane married Florence A. Bingham in 1885 and had two children. He ran a hardware store with his father before becoming president of City National Bank. In 1901 Drane formed the Corsicana Power and Light company. A city alderman and a leader in the Third Avenue Presbyterian church, he wished to share his personal prosperity with fellow citizens.
History
Frost
Prior to 1887 the community of Cross Roads existed two miles south of this location. The town of Frost was created when a post office was established in March of that year to serve settlements west of Corsicana along the St. Louis, Arkansas, and Texas Railroad. Businesses previously located at Cross Roads moved to the new town. Land for the townsite was donated by R. J.
Military
General Lucian K. Truscott, Jr.
(Jan. 9, 1895 - Sep. 12, 1965) Chatfield native Lucian King Truscott, Jr. rose through the ranks of the U.S. Army to serve in World War II and the Cold War with distinction. He is the only American officer in World War II to command in battle a regiment, a division, a corps, and a field army. His leadership proved essential to victory.
History
George Taylor Jester
(1846-1922) Lieutenant governor of Texas (1894-1898), also father of Beauford Jester, a later Texas governor. As a boy, came from Illinois to Corsicana in a two-horse wagon. Worked on courthouse, first brick building in area, for 50 cents a day. At 18, joined Confederate army but Lee surrendered same year. Married twice, had 5 children.
History
George Washington Shelton
(Jan. 12, 1814-Nov. 15, 1882) A Texas War for Independence soldier. Born in Virginia. Lived in Tennessee, where he joined 15 other recruits late in 1835 to come to Texas and fight against dictator Santa Anna. Served Jan. 14 to Sept. 18, 1836. Was awarded two land bounties for military duty. Became a pioneer citizen of Navarro County. His wife was Sara Elizabeth Johnson.
History
Grange Hall Cemetery
Established to serve the small farming community of Cryer Creek, Grange Hall Cemetery most likely derived its name from the active farmers' organization known as The Grange. The site was used for a burial ground as early as 1872, five years before Navarro County pioneer Samuel Wilson donated the land for a Methodist Church and churchyard.
History
Grape Creek Cemetery
G. W. Eliot donated land at this site for a school, Methodist church, parsonage, and graveyard. Burials in the cemetery began about 1881. The Doolen, Duncan, Eliot, Humphries, Metcalf, Rakestraw, Smith, Stokes, Wimberly, and other families lived in the area at that time. The school consolidated with Navarro in 1928 and the building was relocated.
History
Hamilton-Beeman Cemetery
William Harvey Beeman (1817-1860) received a Mercer colony grant of 640 acres in Navarro County and brought his family here in the 1840s. He and pioneer Samuel Hamilton (1820-1900), who owned adjacent property, each gave one acre to establish this cemetery in the 1850s. The first burial was that of Hamilton's infant son in 1859.
History
Hamilton-Bragg Cemetery
The James Hamilton,Jr. family left Tennessee for Texas ca. 1841. Upon James' death in Arkansas, his wife Elizabeth and their children continuned the journey, arriving in Navarro County ca. 1846. Elizabeth Hamilton died on August 7, 1857, and is buried in Hamilton-Bragg Cemetery. The Hamilton's daughter, Julia (Hamilton) Bragg (d. 1900) is also buried at the site, along with her husband, Joseph O.