Military
15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G
Several communities in Navarro County organized military units that saw action in the Civil War. Company E of the 15th Texas Infantry was formed on April 16, 1862, when two squads were combined into one unit under the leadership of Captain Joshua Long Halbert, a prominent Corsicana lawyer.
Military
Air Activities of Texas, Corsicana Field
Prior to the United States entry into World War II, the U.S. Government contracted with a number of civilian flying schools to assist in training military pilots for the Army Air Corps. In December 1940 the Air Activities of Texas, Corsicana Field, was authorized to provide primary flight training, the second phase of a three-level process.
History
Alexander Beaton
A native of Scotland, Alexander Beaton came to the United States in 1843. He migrated to Texas in 1848 after serving in the U.S. Army during the Mexican War. In 1850 he settled in Corsicana and began the practice of law. He was chairman of the finance committee to promote the routing of the Houston & Texas Central Railroad through Corsicana in 1871.
History
Alva Everett Taylor
(July 19, 1891-Dec. 8, 1965) Grassroots researcher-writer and historical preservationist whose work led to development of this pioneer village. Born near Dawson (10 mi. SW), Taylor attended Baylor University (1911-13), married Maud Stockard (1914), and was father of 3 children. Farming, unsuccessful oil drilling in the 1920s boom, and other ventures formed his business career.
Industry & Science
American Well & Prospecting Company
Organized in Kansas in 1890 by Horace Greeley Johnston (1851-1930) of Ohio and Pennsylvania native Charles Rittersbacher (1857-1919). This company began as a water well drilling business. In 1891 the partners moved to Texas and began drilling in Corsicana. In 1894, while drilling on S. 12th street, they struck crude oil, which led to the discovery of the Corsicana oil field.
History
Angus Schoolhouse
The community of Angus began soon after rail lines were completed to this area in 1871. Three years later a public school was started under the direction of Lila Blackburn. The first schoolhouse was a two-room frame building that was moved several times before it was located here. In 1921 it was replaced by the present brick structure which provided space for several grades in each room.
History
Annie Carpenter Love
(1869-1943) One of a family of 10 children, Tennessee-born Annie M. Carpenter grew up hearing stories of her pioneer forebears. She came to Navarro County with her parents in 1876. She taught school in this area before her marriage in 1901 to William F. Love.
History
Ash Creek (Pelham) School
Ash Creek School District No. 105 began in 1899 in the historically African-American Pelham community. School was held in Wesley Chapel Church until 1908, when a two-story schoolhouse was built near the Pelham Cemetery. The first principal was T. J. Douglas. The Pelham School operated for all 12 grades, allowing students to attend colleges and universities after graduation.
History
Barry
This agricultural community was named for Corsicana businessman Bryan T. Barry, who developed the land deeded for the townsite by early settlers Dave and Effie Wright. The Barry Post Office was established in 1886, the same year the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad came through the town.
History
Battle Creek Burial Ground
A surveying party of 25 Texans ran into about 300 Kickapoo Indians on a buffalo hunt; failing to heed warning to leave, the Texans were ambushed on October 8, 1838. Only seven survived, and four of these were wounded. After the escape, they came back to bury their comrades in a common grave. (1966)
History
Bazette Baptist Church and Cemetery
The early farming settlement of Bazette, named for a Baptist preacher, developed before the Civil War. In 1881, postmaster and store owner William Ellison (1840-1906) deeded land at this site for the community's Baptist church. First known as Liberty Missionary Baptist Church, the congregation may have formed as early as the 1860s. In 1890, the deacons purchased adjoining land from J. L.
History
Beauford Halbert Jester Home
In 1923 Beauford H. Jester (1893-1949) and his wife, Mabel (Buchanan), built this colonial revival home on land that had been his family's dairy farm. A Corsicana attorney, Jester later served as chairman of the University of Texas Board of Regents, as director of the State Bar, and as a member of the Texas Railroad Commission.
History
Birdston Community and Cemetery
When V. I. Bird opened a general mercantile store about 2 miles to the northwest in the 1860s, Birdston community was founded. As local economy then depended on cotton, a gin was soon built near the store. In a few years, store and gin were relocated a mile east of this cemetery, at halfway point on main road from Fairfield to Corsicana. The Birdston post office opened Dec. 11, 1866.
History
Birdston Valley
Developed as a community of former slaves following the Civil War, Birdston Valley takes its name from the nearby settlement of Birdston (2 miles south). Located on Richland Creek bottom lands, residents of the community were primarily farmers.
History
Blooming Grove School
Early pioneer Richard Gowan donated land one mile southeast of this site in 1869, on which the citizens of Gradyville (later renamed Blooming Grove), erected a small white building to house a church, community meeting place, and school. The Rev. G. P. Miller served as the first teacher.
History
Braniff International Flight 352
The tragic crash of Braniff International Flight 352 traveling from Houston's Hobby Airport to Dallas' Love Field in 1968 left a lasting influence on Braniff, the citizens of Dawson and the aviation industry. Flight 352 originated at Houston with a final destination of Memphis, Tennessee, with intermediate stops scheduled in Dallas, Tulsa, Fort Smith and Little Rock.
History
Britton Dawson Home
Granted a bounty of Navarro County land for his participation in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, cattleman Britton Dawson (1817-1905) settled here in 1847. He occupied a three-room cabin before erecting this two-and-one-half story Greek revival house in 1858-59.
History
Campbell-Elrod Cemetery
Land for this cemetery was given to the Harmony Methodist Church in 1855 by Navarro county pioneer David Wilson Campbell. Ten acres were donated to the church trustees, with part to be set aside as a graveyard and known as Campbell Cemetery. David Campbell was buried here in 1879. The land was conveyed to J. M. and Eunice Elrod in 1908.
History
Capt. Charles Henry Allyn
New York native Charles Henry Allyn (1842-1918) came to Texas in 1868, after having served as a captain in the Union army during the Civil War. Capt. Allyn arrived in Corsicana with his wife, Angela (Aldrich), in 1871. As a Corsicana businessman, he assisted in the organization of the First National Bank, local savings and loan companies, and the cotton mill.
History
City of Blooming Grove
The history of Blooming Grove can be traced to the small village of Gradyville, established in the 1860s and named for two brothers, R. J. and W. D. Grady, who operated the general store. When the area was granted a postal station in 1871, the name Blooming Grove was chosen. Grady's store served as the location for the post office, with W. H. Glass as postmaster.
History
Col. Clinton McKamey Winkler
(October 19, 1821--May 13, 1882) Eminent judge, for whom a Texas county was named. Born in North Carolina. Settled in 1840 in the Republic of Texas. Admitted to the Bar (1843), he served 1847-49 in 2nd Texas Legislature. Raising 150 men for Hood's Brigade, he served four years in Confederate army; was wounded at Gettysburg. He was elected to 13th Texas Legislature.
Industry & Science
Collin Street Bakery
Opened two blocks north of this site in 1896, by August Weidmann, an immigrant baker from Wiesbaden, Germany, and W. T. McElwee, a local cotton buyer. Combining the talents of a baker whose pride and joy was baking a better cake with the flare of a man whose business ability had a touch of the sensational was a move that resulted in a most unusual and successful business enterprise.
History
Colonel Roger Q. Mills
(1832-1911) Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas 1849. Civic and political leader. Represented Navarro County in Legislature, 1859-60. Joined in call for State Secession Convention, 1861. Joined 3rd Texas Cavalry. Later a colonel in 10th Texas Infantry. Wounded in Tennessee and Georgia battles. A leader in 1871 Democratic Convention held in Corsicana, which started move to end Reconstruction in Texas.
History
Conner Cemetery
Thomas Conner and his family left Illinois and settled in this area in 1856. His son, Edward P., purchased 164 acres here in 1873. Though the first recorded burial was that of Minnie L. Conner in 1882, family tradition indicates the cemetery contains earlier interments. The cemetery was legally set aside by Edward Conner in 1882.
History
Corsicana
Soon after Navarro County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1846, a committee was appointed to choose a site for the county seat. The committee selected a 100-acre tract of land that came to be the city of Corsicana. The town was named for Corsica, the homeland of the parents of Texas patriot Jose Antonio Navarro, for whom the county was named.