History
Rudolph and Therese Runge House
In the 1880s and 1890s, stonemason Thomas Broad built several homes in Mason similar to this one, owned by E.J. and Louise Broad from 1891 until they sold it in 1895 to Therese (Marschall) Runge (1855-1946). Her husband, Rudolph Runge (1849-1914), was a German native who became a noted local attorney. The couple's sons, Carl and Roscoe, became prominent lawyers and politicians.
Architecture
Seaquist Home
In 1887 work was begun on this structure by the Rev. Thomas Broad. Banker E. M. Reynolds acquired (1891) and enlarged the house. The architect, Richard E. Grosse, also did the ornate stonecutting and woodcarving. Property was sold (1919) to Oscar E. Seaquist, a Swedish immigrant, who finished the structure, still owned and occupied by his family.
Architecture
Spring Street Church
Constructed in 1892, this church structure originally served a German Methodist Episcopal congregation. Later home to the Church of the Nazarene and Spring Street Gospel Church, it has played an important role in Mason's religious history. The vernacular one-story raised L-plan building features Gothic Revival detailing in its lancet windows and spire.
History
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Descendants of German pioneers who settled this area in 1850s hold membership in this church. As early as 1853, missionaries such as pastor Philip Zizelmann who rode a donkey, held services in settlers' homes. Church was organized with 13 members on Feb. 15, 1872. On March 17, 1872, a lot was donated; first building was soon erected by the members.
History
The Commercial Bank
German immigrant Anna Mebus (1843-1925) came to Texas in 1858 and married her merchant cousin, Karl Martin (1828-1879). After his death she continued to operate their Mason store and post office, and by the 1880s was handling the cash of area ranchers. In 1901 she helped establish and became president of The Commercial Bank, opened with $3,000 capital.
Architecture
The Lindsay House
Tom Lindsay settled in Mason County during the 1860s and was a farmer and cattle raiser north of the town of Mason. About 1899 he and his wife, Fredericka (Durst), moved into town and built this house. It features fine stonework, particularly in the segmental arches over the windows and in the corner quoins.
History
Todd Mountain
Named for family of George W. Todd, first Mason County clerk, which was attacked by Indians at this site while en route to Mason in late Dec. 1864. A 12-year-old Black servant girl was killed, 13-year-old Alice Todd taken captive, and Todd's wife, Dizenia Peters Todd (b.1826), wounded severely. Mrs. Todd died about 3 weeks later, in Jan. 1865.
History
Two Sheriffs of Mason County
A native of Kentucky, Thomas S. Milligan (1810-1860) moved to this area in 1855 and operated a change station for the stage line. He was also a rancher and supplied beef to the soldiers at Fort Mason. Shortly after Mason County was organized in 1858 he became the first elected sheriff. Two years later he was killed by hostile Indians near his home (1.6 mi. NW).
History
Wagram Cemetery
Wagram Cemetery This cemetery was created to serve settlers of the Blue Stretch community, which became known as Wagram when the post office opened in 1906. This cemetery was established alongside the community schoolhouse. The first marked burial is that of three-month-old Marion Eaker Miller (d. 1880). Several graves marked by uncarved rocks may predate the 1880 burial. Mr. and Mrs. J.C.
History
Whorlie Well
Named for a victim in famous "Hoodoo War", provoked by cattle rustling in Mason County. John Whorlie (or Worley), a deputy sheriff, on May 13, 1875, lost a prisoner to a lynch mob on Aug. 10, 1875, Whorlie was killed and scalped while working on this well. His killer was identified as Scott Cooley, a friend of the lynched man. Masonic burial for Whorlie was conducted by the McCulloch Lodge No.