History
Art Methodist Church
Organized 1856 by the Rev. C. A. Grote, first minister to preach here. First building was erected in 1858; second one, of stone, in 1875. The present structure was built 1890 on land donated by Ernst Jordan, Sr., charter member. Until 1927, all worship was held in the German language. The two Methodist churches in Art united in 1939.
History
Art Schoolhouse
Originally this was the area's second Methodist church. Built of native stone and lumber by the pioneers in 1875, after a fire destroyed an 1858 church and school structure. Rocks were plastered over about 1938. After the 1890s this building was used solely as a school until 1945, when all the schools of Mason County consolidated. Now this building is used as the center for the Art Community Club.
History
Bethel M. E. Church
Built 1862. Second church of any faith in Mason County. Housed first school in the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Crosby Cemetery
The first burial ground for the citizens of Mason and Koocksville, this cemetery traces its history to the 1850s. The oldest documented burial is that of Kate Lemburg, who died in 1856. Also interred here is Mason County's first sheriff, Thomas Milligan (1810-1860). The Crosby family purchased the property surrounding the cemetery in 1866, and it has been known as Crosby cemetery since that time.
History
Dizenia Peters Todd
(Aug. 5, 1826 - Jan. 1865) Born in Mississippi, Dizenia Peters moved to Texas with her parents about 1835. She married William P. Smith in 1844 and had a son, James. After Smith's death, she married George W. Todd (1827-1901) in 1851; they had 3 daughters. Todd and members of his wife's family settled this area in the 1850s and were among the first Mason County officials. Mrs.
History
First Christian Church
Organized Feb. 14, 1875, with M. E. Gibson as first minister. Land for church was purchased from John and Louisa Schuessler on Oct. 16, 1876, by church elders John R. McGee, A. P. Boston, Whitmill Holland, and B. F. Gooch. This structure, built of native sandstone by local contractor August Brockmann, was completed and dedicated in Jan. 1879.
History
First Comanche-German Meeting
At this site on February 5, 1847, seven or eight Penateka Comanches headed by chief Ketumusua (also Ketumsee, Katemcy, Katemoczy) had their first encounter with an expedition of German immigrants led by John O. Meusebach. The group of about forty settlers left Fredericksburg on January 22 to explore the area between the Llano and Colorado rivers included in the Fisher-Miller land grant.
Military
Fort Mason and Camp Llano, C.S.A.
Fort Mason, located 5 blocks south, was headquarters for the first regiment Texas Mounted Rifles 1861-62. These Confederate troops occupied the line of old U. S. forts to give protection against Indians. 215 prisoners-of-war were confined here. In spring 1862, the line of frontier defense was tightened and Camp Llano was established 9 miles east.
Military
Fort Mason, Site of
Established July 6, 1851 by the U. S. Army as a protection to the frontier. Named in honor of Lieut. George T. Mason, killed in action near Brownsville, April 25, 1846. Albert Sidney Johnston, George H. Thomas, Earl Van Dorn and Robert E. Lee, of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry, were stationed here at intervals from 1856 to 1861.
History
Herman and Willie Lehmann
German immigrants Moritz and Auguste Lehmann settled along Squaw Creek (4 mi. W) in the 1850s. After Moritz's death, Auguste married Philip Buchmeier. On May 16, 1870, two of the Lehmann children, Herman (age 10) and Willie (age 8) were captured by Apache Indians. Willie was released after five days and returned home, but Herman remained with the Apache and Comanche Indians for eight years.
History
Hoerster, Daniel
Daniel Hoerster, cattle brands inspector, killed in 1875 by cattle rustlers in Mason County War -- a feud between the law and lawless. (1967)
History
Hofmann Dry Goods Company
Founded by brothers-in-law William Hofmann and Ernest H. Bogusch, Hofmann and Ernest H. Bogusch, Hofmann and Company opened for business in August 1890, providing the citizens of Mason and the surrounding communities with a central supply and trading source. The name of the store changed to Hofman Dry Goods Company in 1903.
History
Homesite of John O. Meusebach
By 1848, German colonization reached area under direction of John O. Meusebach, who succeeded Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels as colony leader and who signed treaty with Comanches allowing peaceful settlement of the land between the Llano and San Saba rivers. He later retired here to a 640-acre farm where he died. His colonists have influenced Texas through their ingenuity, thrift and enterprise.
History
John Bate Berry
(1813 - 1891) Forefathers resisting America's foes on many frontiers inspired John Bate Berry, who came to Texas from Kentucky in 1826. He fought (1835-36) in the Texas War for Independence and in the 1842 Mier Expedition to stop Mexican raids on the Republic of Texas. Captured, imprisoned, then freed in 1844, he scouted for the American army in 1846, during the Mexican War.
History
Koocksville
Pioneers began to settle this locality in the 1850s. The oldest marked grave in Crosby Cemetery is dated 1856. The community became known as Koocksville after William Koock (1838-1890), a native of Germany, built a one-room log store here in 1867.
History
Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery
Heinrich Conrad Kothmann (1798-1881) and his wife Ilse Katherine Pahlmann (1810-1905) and their family sailed from Germany to Indianola, Texas in 1845. Among the first families to settle in Fredericksburg, the Kothmanns were issued a 640-acre land grant in Mason County in 1848. In 1856 they moved to Art and were among the first immigrant families in this area.
History
Mason County
Created January 22, 1858, and organized August 2, 1858, this county was named for its most important settlement, Fort Mason. Garrisoned intermittently from July 6, 1851, to March 23, 1869, Fort Mason was named for Lt. G. T. Mason of the United States 2nd Dragoons, killed in Mexican War action on April 25, 1846, near Brownsville.
Architecture
Mason County Courthouse
Constructed in 1909, this is the third courthouse to serve the people of Mason County. Commissioners Court probably met in other locations until the first courthouse was built in 1872. It burned in 1877 and was replaced that year by a second red sandstone building. Designed by E. C.
History
Mason County Jail
A good example of a small, nineteenth-century jail, this structure was built in 1894 from the brown sandstone available in the nearby hills. The ground floor of the county's third jail includes living quarters for the sheriff, while the jail cells are located on the second floor.
History
Mason National Bank
Throughout the 1890s, private banking institutions sporadically served Mason residents. In December 1903, several pioneer settlers met to form a new bank. It received its authorization in January 1904 as the German American National Bank of Mason. John Lemburg, Sr. served as the first president, J.W. White as vice-president and F.W. Lemburg as cashier.
History
Old Fort Mason
Situated near a spring long used by Indians; built of stone quarried from post hill. Fort helped protect Texas frontier from Indians. Colonel Robert E. Lee, stationed in Texas 2 years, commanded Fort Mason from February 1860 to February 1861. Here he made his decision as to his part in the Civil War, saying: "If the Union is dissolved,...I shall return to my native state and...save in defense...
History
Old Mason Grammar School
Located near Gamel Springs on grounds of Fort Mason (1851-61; 1866-69), the last Federal command of Robert E. Lee prior to Civil War. Constructed in 1887, by August Brockmann, of stone from post buildings, quarried on this hill.
History
Peter's Prairie School
DURING THE 1850s AND 1860s, MASON COUNTY LANDOWNER, 'MAJOR' JOSHUA PETERS, SUPPLIED CUT PRAIRIE GRASSES FROM HERE TO FORT MASON FOR THEIR HORSES. THE COMMUNITY WHICH DEVELOPED TOOK THE NAME PETER'S PRAIRIE. IN 1877, JOHN RHOADS AND W. H. MORRIS PETITIONED COUNTY COMMISSIONERS TO OPEN A COMMUNITY SCHOOL ON LAND DEEDED BY LARKIN MORRIS SOUTH OF THE PRESENT SITE. RHOADS, W. H. MORRIS, AND C.
History
Pontotoc and San Fernando Academy
(Site of Academy is 100 yards north) Pontotoc, settled about 1859, was named by first merchant, M. R. Kidd, for his former home town in Mississippi. Post office was opened 1878 in the B. J. Willis home, with Mrs. Willis postmaster. Founded by interested citizens, San Fernando Academy (probably named for nearby creek), opened 1883.
Industry & Science
R. Grosse and Sons
Born and educated as an architect in Germany, Richard E. Grosse (1860-1944) came to Mason County in 1882. Settling first in Plehweville (Art), he worked as a stonemason and married Louisa Carolina Von Donop in 1886. He opened a lumberyard and, upon the births of his sons, named his business "R. Grosse and Sons." Moving to Mason in 1895, Grosse continued to operate his lumber business.