History
Hodge-Taylor House
Berry and Lavenia (Boggs) Hodge moved here from Kentucky and had this house built along the Daingerfield Road in 1852. Among their five children, son Robert Blount, of the 3rd Texas Cavalry, C.S.A., died from wounds in the Battle of Atlanta in 1864. Hodge, a prominent landowner and surveyor, sold the property to D.W.H. Taylor, businessman and publisher of the Jefferson Jimplecute. T.J. Taylor, Jr.
History
Home of Capt. Charles G. Graham
Born in Tennessee, Charles Gibbs Graham (1833-1896) came to Texas in 1843 with his parents. He settled in Jefferson about 1850. During the Civil War (1861-1865), Graham served in the Confederate army, earning the rank of captain, and in 1864 was wounded at the Battle of Mansfield. Married in 1868 to Texanah Harris (1848-1927), he had three sons and one daughter.
History
Homesite of Barry Benefield
(May 12, 1877 - Sept. 22, 1971) Born while Jefferson was a dominant East Texas city, Barry Benefield learned well the character and lore of this region while working at his father's wagon yard, located beside this 1860s house the family had purchased in 1897. Upon his graduation from the University of Texas, Benefield became a journalist and later a novelist.
History
Hudgins-Blake House
Residence with fine door and window styling; large rooms; 13' ceilings; wide board floors. Built during 1855-67 era, by William P. Hudgins, ;the house had a series of short-term owners before W. L. and Mattie A. Blake, prominent Jefferson Central (Negro) School teachers, bought it in 1897; their family owned it for 60 years. Restored by 1957 purchasers, Bill R.
History
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
This parish began in 1863 when Father Jean Marie Giraud held mass for Catholic residents of Jefferson. Immaculate Conception grew as a church and by 1867, members completed the first building. In 1869, the church opened a school and the next year moved to the current location. Immaculate Conception soon became a center for East Texas missions, though by 1910, it was also a mission.
History
J. H. Rowell Home
Built about 1858. Since 1879, home of J. H. Rowell family. Rowell served Jefferson several terms as mayor and alderman. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Transport
Jay Gould Railroad Car
Built in 1888 by the American Car & Foundry Company of St. Charles, Missouri, this was the private railway car of Jay Gould (1836-1892). A native of New York, Gould was a noted financier and the owner of numerous railroad companies, including the Union Pacific, The Missouri Pacific, the International & Great Northern, and The Texas Pacific.
History
Jefferson
Home to the Caddo Indians for centuries, this area of Texas attracted Anglo-American colonists to settle here in the early 1800s. Founded in 1839, Jefferson developed along a double-grid pattern. Daniel Nelson Alley platted the townsite in a true north-south and east-west pattern, while Allen Urquhart drew a plan with streets leading diagonally to and from Big Cypress Bayou.
History
Jefferson
Founded 1836. Named for President Thomas Jefferson. Chief river port of Texas, 1846-1870. This prosperous ante-bellum city became a Confederate Quartermaster Depot; produced boots, shoes, iron goods, preserved meats for army. Nearby oil field discovered in 1939. Many fine old homes and other landmarks.
History
Jefferson C. S. A.
(Star and Wreath) Metropolis of commerce and culture for East Texas, Jefferson became important center for Confederate activity. Major quartermaster depot for northern Texas established 1862 supplied clothing and camp equipment. Cotton Bureau Station set up to buy cotton, "life blood of the Confederacy." Two iron works in county made plows, kettles, skillets and cannon balls.
History
Jefferson Playhouse
Built about 1860 by Robert W. Nesmith, a contractor of stage lines. After several changes in ownership, house was purchased 1869 for Sisters of Charity and used as their convent, hospital and school (called St. Mary's). In 1875, property was bought by Sinai Hebrew Congregation of Jefferson. An auditorium was added, and served as the local synagogue until about 1900.
History
Jefferson Public Library
Built 1907 by local funds plus a gift from Andrew Carnegie Foundation-- one of 34 such grants made in Texas (where the movement for public libraries had begun in 1881). A center of interest in a culture-loving town. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Jefferson Turn Basin
Wide, deep lagoon in Cypress Bayou, used for turning around ships in Gulf-Red River trade. First steamer to reach here was the "Lama" in 1844, by way of Red River, which for 200 miles above Shreveport was clogged by a "raft" of debris that had begun forming about 1529. Cypress Bayou thus was best travel route into Oklahoma, western Arkansas and north Texas.
History
John M. Vines
(1844-1914) Born in Alabama. Joined W. P. Lane Rangers, C. S. A., 1861; was discharged 1865, rank of farrier. Served as sheriff-tax collector for Marion County, 1874-1876. In April, 1877, sent as agent of the state of Texas to bring Abe Rothschild back to Jefferson from Ohio to stand trial for the murder of "Diamond" Bessie Moore (one of the sensational murder trials of the 19th century.
History
Kahn Saloon
Built during the early 1860s, this structure served as a boarding house and as a mercantile before opening as the Kahn Saloon about 1900. Temperance movement leader Carrie Nation was denied entrance here during one of her campaigns through Texas. Jefferson native Marion Try Slaughter launched his career as country music singer Vernon Dalhart at the Kahn Saloon.
History
Knightwood
Built 1852 by Col. Henry A. Mimms as a daughter's wedding gift. Noted for hospitality. Meeting place for Men's Harmony Club and Ladies' Cooking Class that held weekly dancing parties. Has original honey pine floors, cherry wood mantels. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Marion County Courthouse
The Texas Legislature created Marion County in 1860. Jefferson, established as early as 1841, was chosen as county seat. By 1860, Jefferson was a regional economic center for steamboat traffic on Big Cypress Bayou, navigable due to a logjam on the Red River.
History
Marion County Depression Era Roadside Park
This roadside park was constructed by the National Youth Administration (NYA) with the support of President Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Great Depression. Development began in 1935, after the Mary Louise Hussey family conveyed the land upon which the park would be located.
History
Mims Chapel Methodist Church and Cemetery
This church was organized by pioneer area settlers before the Civil War. The first building here was a log structure known as the Rock Church because of a large nearby rock where early meetings were held. The church was later named Mims Chapel Methodist Church in honor of brothers John W. Mims (1829-1907) and Henry Mims (1839-1915), who were instrumental in securing this site for the congregation.
History
Murphy Building
Brothers John C. Murphy (1816-71) and James M. Murphy (b. 1820) of Tennessee came to Jefferson, Texas, in 1850. They owned a wholesale cotton firm and were prominent businessmen. In the early 1850s they built this structure as a warehouse in the riverfront district. In 1884 the building was remodeled for county offices and courts.
History
Nash Iron Works
First iron furnace in Texas. Built by Jefferson S. Nash, who came here in 1846. He found much iron ore, wood for charcoal, and clay to make molds. From ridge back of the furnace, charcoal and ore were poured down the smokestack.
History
Old Federal Building
1869. First Federal Court and Custom House. Also housed county court and its records. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Museums & Art
Old Federal Court and Post Office Building
Used 1890-1964 by Court of Eastern District of Texas. Now a museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Old Livery Stable
Near Trammel's Trace, a road charted 1813, used by thousands of settlers migrating to Texas. Site was owned 1868 by D. B. Culberson, later a congressman and a lawyer for defense in the Diamond Bessie murder trial. Culberson's 2-story building here was original site for the Chesterfield Club, East Texas' elite social group, 1870s-1930s.
History
Old Rosebud Saloon
1854. Rendezvous of judges, lawyers and men with notched guns. Partly burned 1902. Restored 1946. V 1965