History
"Gay 90's House"
Drawing room held many social affairs when city was a leading port in Texas. Now J. M. Benefield Home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
"The Magnolias"
1867. Built by Lucy Ann, wife of Dan Alley, donor of half of Jefferson's townsite. Near 100th birthday, house retains fine style. Has handmade columns, massive hewn sills, wide pine board floors. Here was organized 1881 Club, oldest member and pioneer unit in Texas State Federation of Women's Clubs. Also (on Feb. 22, 1955) birthplace of Martha McCraw Chapter of the D. A. R.
History
A. M. Urquhart House
This early twentieth-century cottage was built for Angus Mezappa and Mary Jane (Wood) Urquhart. A native of Marion County, A. M. Urquhart (1875-1909) was the grandson of Allen Urquhart, one of the founders of Jefferson. This family residence, originally located at Broadway and Owen streets, exhibits Eastlake styling.
History
Alice Emmert Home
Built about 1868 in late Greek revival style by George B. Draper. Victorian elements were added by later owners before 1898, when the house was purchased by Alice Emmert (1866-1925). Miss Emmert, who was one of the first women elected to public office in Texas, served as county superintendent of education, 1908-20. Claudia Taylor (Mrs. Lyndon B.
History
Alley-McKay House
Daniel Nelson Alley (1810-68) built this home about 1851. A founder of Jefferson, Alley was a prominent early landowner in Marion County. Several families owned the house before 1884, when Hector McKay (1835-93) bought the property. A veteran of the Civil War, McKay was one of the area's leading attorneys. His son, Arch McKay (1875-1954), retained ownership of the home until his death.
History
Atkins House
Late Greek revival style house. Probably built in 1860 by T. O. Alley (1836-1860), son of Daniel N. Alley, co-founder of Jefferson. Over the years other notable owners have been james M. Tucker (d. ;1891), steamboatman and captain in 16th Texas Dismounted Cavalry, Confedereate Army; and W. R. Camp, an attorney. Longest ownership (1892-1923) was by W. T.
History
Austin Street Mercantile
Building. Typical of city's heyday as greatest inland port in southwest. Erected before 1866. Housed offices, grocery, saloon, drugstore. A famous owner was Sallie Harrison, given this building (1882) on her marriage to C. A. Culberson, later to become governor and U. S. Senator. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
Brown Building
Old home of Jefferson "Jimplecute" and other newspapers, and the Chesterfield Social Club. Now Brown Building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Brown-Bender House
This ornate, two-story, stick Victorian residence was built in 1888 by lumberman George Washington Brown (1854-1932), who later became involved in the oil and gas business. In 1928 Harrison County farmer John Griffin Bender (1871-1938), later Jefferson's road commissioner, bought the house and renovated it. The home remained in the Bender family until 1972.
History
Capt. William E. Singleton House
Built in 1860's. Its cruciform plan evolved in 17th century Virginia. Has been in Singleton family since 1885. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Capt. Wm. Perry House
Built in 1850s by Capt. Wm. Perry, officer on one of riverboats when city was largest inland port in Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Captain William Perry
(April 5, 1813 - January 2, 1869) William Perry was among the first settlers of Jefferson, arriving ca. 1840. Through his shipping business and his work in dredging a turning basin for ships in the Big Cypress Bayou, he played a significant role in the early growth and development of Jefferson as an inland port.
History
Captain William Perry
(April 5, 1813 - January 2, 1869) William Perry was among the first settlers of Jefferson, arriving ca. 1840. Through his shipping business and his work in dredging a turning basin for ships in the Big Cypress Bayou, he played a significant role in the early growth and development of Jefferson as an inland port.
History
Confederate Civil War Meat Packing Plant
About 2 miles to the southwest, the meat plant of J. B. Dunn dressed,packed and shipped beef, pork and mutton to the Confederate army. In 1861 began by packing 150 beeves a day. Well located, on the Cypress Bayou shipping route, with cattle in trailing distance, in east and north Texas. Herds were bought at $20 to $40 a head. Used 42-gallon wooden barrels. Filled these with meat and brine.
History
Dan N. Alley Home
Built by Dan N. Alley, a founder of Jefferson. Was wedding gift to a son. Now home of Mary Carlson, a descendant. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Architecture
Early Jefferson Lodge Building
Built in the late 1850s, this building first housed the Jefferson Masonic Lodge. A number of businesses were located here during the Civil War, and later it was used by the Knights and Ladies of Honor of Myrtle and the Knights of Honor of Jefferson.
History
Early Site of Bell Factory
From a log blacksmith shop in 1854 grew a bell foundry owned by G. A. Kelly which manufactured cowbells widely used by pioneer ox-team freighters. Later the Kelly plow, one of the first modern plows made in Texas, was manufactured here.
History
Excelsior House
Oldest hotel in East Texas. Frame part built in 1850s; brick wing added 1864. Among famous guests during river port days of Jefferson were Presidents Grant and Hayes, and poet Oscar Wilde. Restored 1961-63 by Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
First National Bank of Jefferson
Thomas J. Rogers (1832-1918), a native of Mississippi, came to Jefferson in 1856. After serving in the Civil War, where he attained the rank of captain, he returned here and in 1868 established a mercantile business in this block. In partnership with his son Ben F. Rogers, he opened private banking facilities in the store in 1896.
History
First Texas Artificial Gas Plant
(5 blocks east) Jefferson Gas Light Company, chartered 1870 for public and domestic service, used retorts-- 7 foot iron drums with small necks-- to make illuminating gas. (One retort stood on this site.) Loaded with pine knots and rich pine wood, a retort was heated; its gas was forced into mains by use of a pressure drum.
History
Freeman Plantation
This Greek revival plantation home was built about 1850 by Williamson M. (1807-66) and Drucilla (1812-65) Freeman for their children. A cotton and sugar cane planter, Freeman also operated a river freighting business. Materials use din construction of the house include hand-hewn timbers and brick made on the site. In the 1870s the residence was sold to R. E.
History
George T. Todd House
Capt. George Todd (1839-1913) was a Confederate veteran, ex-district attorney, former state legislator, and senior member of East Texas Bar. He built this home in 1893 for his family: wife Marion (Miller); sons Van Dyke, A. Miller, Charles C., and William H.: and daughters Eva C., Mary V. (later Mrs. J. S. Lewis), and Lula D. (later Mrs. L. E. Hough).
History
George Webster Smith
George Webster Smith was a former Union soldier whose beliefs set off a chain of dramatic events in the tense atmosphere of post-Civil War Texas. Born in New York in 1841, Smith moved to Michigan early in his life. When the Civil War started, he joined his uncles in the 123rd Regiment of the New York Infantry.
Architecture
Godfrey-Singleton House
This house was built for teacher Margaret Godfrey, who bought the lot in 1892. She moved away and later died in 1899. It was bought by Dr. Robert Moseley in 1901. From 1910 to 1987, the family of attorney John Singleton lived in and expanded the home. The house is Folk Victorian Style with a gabled front along with a Queen Anne Style turned spindle porch.
Architecture
Historic Houston Street Victorian Cottage
Situated near ferry that brought riches to early Jefferson. First known owners (1851): John M. and Nancy Dollehite. A distinguished occupant: Mrs. Ernestine Sterne, 1872-1875 Jefferson postmaster. Restored by Mrs. Katherine R. Wise, owner since 1946. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970