History
Kimble County
JUMANO AND APACHE INDIANS INHABITED REGION WHEN SPANISH EXPLORERS TRAVELED ACROSS IT IN THE 17TH AND 18TH CENTURIES, AND WERE DISPLACED BY THE COMANCHE TRIBE BY THE MID-19TH CENTURY. AREA WAS UNDER MILITARY JURISDICTION OF FORTS TERRETT (1852-54) AND McKAVETT (1852-59,1868-83), WHICH WERE AIDED IN DEFENSE BY THE TEXAS RANGERS. COUNTY WAS CREATED FROM BEXAR COUNTY, 1858, NAMED FOR GEORGE C.
History
Kimble County Jail
THIS BUILDING, KIMBLE COUNTY'S THIRD JAIL, WAS ERECTED IN 1892 DURING THE TERM OF JUDGE W. A. SPENCER AND COMMISSIONERS G. R. ARMSTRONG, J. F.COWSERT, AND H. W. McCALEB. BUILT AT A COST OF $3,150, THE TWO-FOOT THICK HEWN STONE WALLS GAVE THE FORTRESS THE REPUTATION FOR BEING "AS SECURE AS HUNTSVILLE STATE PRISON".
Industry & Science
Kimble County's First Sawmill
Started 1877 on South Llano River by pioneers Claud, Lon and Sel Denman. Waterpower created by mill dam built by Claud, a stonemason. House at 210 E. Main is of their rawhide lumber, cut from local wood-- used green before it warped and got too tough for nailing. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK, 1966.
Architecture
Marvin E. and Retta Ann Blackburn House
Collin County native Marvin E. Blackburn came to Junction in 1902 to serve as County Attorney, and he remained to practice law and serve as District Judge and four terms as a state legislator. He and his wife, Retta Ann (Daugherty), reared 11 children in this house, built in 1914 according to family history.
History
Miller-Browning Colony
Located about one mile north in late 19th century. Composed of two families prominent in early Kimble County affairs. Started in 1874 by John and Martha Miller. Known as "Honest John," Miller joined frontier militia to fight Indians and served on first jury and second jury commission, county district court. Was elected justice of the peace, Precinct 4, in 1876. Colony also included families of A.
History
Morales Ranch
350 yards southwest stands a small rock house built in 1881 by settler Meliton Morales (1837-1924). Born in Mexico, Morales was kidnapped by Indians as a youth and spent 9 years in captivity. Moved to Texas in 1855. Came here from Duval County in 1874, bringing 200 Spanish goats and 2,000 sheep to start ranching. He and wife Ramona (Pena) had 9 children.
History
Near Route of Old Military Road
SUPPLY LINE FROM U.S. ARMY HEADQUARTERS IN SAN ANTONIO TO FORT TERRETT, 1852-1854. IN THE 1850'S TWO-THIRDS OF TEXAS WAS HELD BY COMANCHES OR THREATENED BY RAIDS. POSTS SUCH AS FORT TERRETT STOOD FROM RED RIVER TO THE RIO GRANDE, FOR PROTECTION. THE FORT TERRETT ROAD PARALLELLED JOHNSON (ELM) FORK OF THE LLANO NEAR JUNCTION.
History
O.C. Fisher
Author, attorney and politician Ovie Clark Fisher (1903-1994) was born at the Kimble County Ranch Home of his parents, Jobe and Rhoda (Clark) Fisher. He graduated from Junction High School and received a law degree from Baylor University. He married Marian DeWalsh in 1927, and the couple had one daughter. O.C.
History
Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp
Established October 1877 as patrol base for Co. E, Frontier Battalion, Texas Rangers, on the lookout for Indians and outlaws along the Llano River. Area was popular refuge for cattle and horse thieves, murderers, mail robbers-- and within a few weeks many were captured by the unit of 30 men commanded by Lt. N. O. Reynolds.
History
Old Beef Trail Crossing
Once used for revivals, this Llano River crossing became a main line of the spring cattle drives from 1867 to the 1880s. Capt. C.A. Schreiner and his partners herded cattle on their way to Abilene and Dodge City on the Western Trail; many area cowboys rode with them. Preceded by a trail boss and chuckwagon, as many as 2,000 cattle per herd took half a day to cross.
History
Old Log Cabin
OLD LOG CABIN. TYPICAL OF 1870-80 ERA. BUILT BY EMERY B. PIERCE ON RANCH OF JOHN KOUNTZ, HIS BOSS, 2 MI.S. OF JUNCTION. MOVED HERE AND REMODELED, 1903. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK, 1965
History
Old Noxville School
Erected about 1880. Used as a school until the district was consolidated with Harper, 1940. Native limestone was quarried nearby, laid by local people including Noah Nox (who founded Noxville), Will Lennon, Lafayette McDonald, J. H. Parker and sons. Nearby (about 300 yds. W) were a post office and store, run by Nox and wife. Building now serves as a polling place for Precinct 4.
History
Old Rock Store, 1879
Old Rock Store, 1879, built for general merchandise of G. W. Ragsdill, who owned and operated a nearby hotel and wagon yard. Later used for many other businesses. The top floor has been hall for A.F.& A. M., I.O.O.F. and W.O.W. Lodges, and in 1912 a movie. Owner: Judge M. E. Blackburn, Sr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
R. M. Turner Family
On April 28, 1879, R.M. Turner (1858-1928) entered Kimble County with Bride, Emma (Scarborough), (1863-1945), from Dewitt County. They settled near this site, on the north bank of the South Llano River, where Turner soon became a prominent cattle and sheep rancher. Of ten children born to the Turners, eight reached adulthood, most of them remained in the county to become leading citizens.
History
Reichenau Gap
For more than 100 years, travelers followed road from Mason to Junction through this pass. Named for Adolph A. Reichenau, a German emigrant who settled near pass in 1860 as an early landholder in nearby Big Saline Valley. He moved in 1866 because of Indian depredations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Roosevelt
The community of Roosevelt began with the establishment of a post office in 1898. Although Alice Wagner applied for the post office with another name, the postal service in Washington substituted the name Roosevelt presumably in honor of Theodore Roosevelt, whose Rough Riders visited the area prior to their legendary Spanish-American War service.
Civic & Local
Schreiner Park
Used as a park long before formally deeded to people by Capt. Charles Schreiner in 1916. Picnics and gatherings were held here, as well as political rallies. A large rock doubled as podium. When the Confederate veterans reunion was held here, 1908, rains caused Llano River to flood.
History
Site of Creed Taylor Ranch Home
A two-story ranch house of native stone was built here in 1869-71 by Creed Taylor, veteran of Texas War for Independence. Considered the finest home west of San Antonio, it burned in 1926. Rebuilt by Dillard Stapp, it again burned down in 1956. Taylor (1819-1906) fought in the Battle of Gonzales in 1835, and later in the Battle of Concepcion and the Siege of Bexar.
History
Site of First Livery Stable
Busiest spot in early Junction. Fed and housed visiting ranch teams. Had horses and buggies for public hire. Men collected here to gossip, trade. Built 1879 by John Allen on this lot where public corral operated as early as 1877. Owned by T. M. Hodges when outmoded by autos in 1920s.
History
Site of Ivy Chapel and School
THE IVY COMMUNITY WAS NAMED FOR SAM, JACK AND BOB IVY, BROTHERS WHO MOVED TO KIMBLE COUNTY IN 1883. S. H. IVY DEEDED TWO ACRES OF LAND IN 1898 FOR A SCHOOL SITE AND A STRUCTURE WAS BUILT NEARBY. IN 1917 IVY DONATED ANOTHER TRACT OF LAND, AND A SCHOOLHOUSE WAS BUILT THAT YEAR. THE BUILDING ALSO SERVED AS A COMMUNITY CHAPEL AND PREACHERS HELD SERVICES ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH.
History
Spanish Road to Santa Fe, 1808
Most direct road from San Antonio to Santa Fe, during Spanish era in Texas, 1519-1821. Charted for closer ties between Mexico City and New Mexico, after American explorer Zebulon Pike blazed trail from U.S. to New Mexico. Spanish road of 1808 was mapped by Capt. Francisco Amangual and 200 soldiers. Amangual, veteran of 46 years of service to Spain, left San Antonio on March 30, 1808.
History
Stevenson, Coke R., Texas Statesman
First Texas governor to serve more than two terms (1941-1947). First speaker of the house to succeed himself (1935-1937). Lieutenant Governor, 1939-1941. Was first to hold the three highest state offices. As governor, placed state on a cash basis without curtailment of services to the people and without a tax increase. Changed a $34,000,000 deficit to a $35,000,000 surplus.
Nature
Teacup Mountain
Named for its peculiar formation. Probably used as a lookout post by both whites and Indians in pioneer days. Near here occurred the Indian killing of pioneer James Bradberry, Sr., 1872; and the capture of a wanted man by LT. N. O. Reynolds and four fellow Texas Rangers in 1878.
Civic & Local
Telegraph Store and Post Office
This Kimble County landmark was named for a nearby canyon from which trees were cut for telegraph poles in the Mid-19th century. The store and post office were built about 1890-1900. The first commissioned postmistress was Ruth Holmes in 1900. For many years this has been the stopover place for vacationers along nearby south Llano River and travelers enroute to points south.
History
The Killing of Sam Speer
(8/10 mi. W., Hwy. 290; and 200 yds. S.) On Dec. 24, 1876, a band of Indians killed Sam Speer, only 17 years of age, who was driving in horses near here. A 50-caliber gun his brother was using failed to fire. This was the last Indian murder in Kimble County. Speer is buried in the North Llano Cemetery. (1967)