History
Bear Creek Settlement
Started in 1850s by rancher Raleigh Gentry, who built a 2-room log house and cleared a small farm, but in 1862 sold out to cattlemen Rance Moore. 1860s settlers included Wm. and Lane Gibson, Charlie Jones, John New, A. J. Nixon, Billie Waites. Others came in 1870s after raids by Indians and outlaws were ended.
Architecture
Brambletye
Brambletye was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900, the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families.
History
Campsite of Marques De Rubi, 1767
Campsite of Marques de Rubi, 1767. In 1764 King Charles III of Spain ordered the Marques de Rubi, a Spanish army field marshal, to tour and inspect all presidios in New Spain. Rubi arrived in Mexico in February 1766, and was joined by Nicolas de Lafora, engineer and mapmaker. They made a tour of the Northwest and California territory and entered Texas on July 17, 1767.
History
Captain Gully Cowsert
(June 12,1896 - June 11,1958) Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, World War I. Became Texas Ranger in 1942. He served in that rank for 14 years. Commanded Company E and West Texas District 14 years. Gained fame solving cattle and sheep theft cases. First wife was Mamie Keesee; had two sons, K. and Gully, Jr. and daughter, Mary Katherine. Second wife was Dana Van der Smissen.
History
Captain William Walter Taylor
Grandson of Josiah Taylor and grandnephew of Creed Taylor, Indian fighters who took part in Battle of Bandera Pass, 1841. Born at Clinton, Texas; in 1889 he moved to Kimble County, to begin ranching with an uncle. In 1898 became county sheriff. His six terms included critical period of 1902 land rush. He was appointed Texas Ranger Captain in 1917 by Governor W. P.
History
City of Junction
County seat of Kimble County. Townsite platted 1876 (year of county organization) as "Denman" soon had named changed by voters to denote site at confluence of North and South Llano rivers. Growth was steady. By 1882 had 300 people, a courthouse, jail, school, 2 churches, 2 stores.
Architecture
Cloud Place
1879. Early Kimble County social center. Built for his family of 14 by W. J. Cloud, a veteran of Terry's Texas Rangers service during the Civil War. Stone for 18-inch walls came from nearby mountain, lumber by ox-wagons, from Austin. Has wide board floors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Nature
Cloud Point
A landmark for many years for soldiers and others who journeyed along the roads that traversed this terrain, Cloud Point is the name given to the cliff overlooking the Llano River valley and the valley of Johnson Fork Creek.
History
Coach Bear Bryant and the Junction Boys
Paul 'Bear' Bryant, former coach at Maryland and Kentucky, became head football coach at Texas A&M in 1954. To evaluate his new players, Bryant sought a preseason camp far from the main campus. The Texas A&M adjunct opened in Junction in 1951, on 411 acres purchased by citizens of Kimble County.
History
Coalson-Pullen Colony
(cabin chimney at site, about 3 mi. NW) Opened 1866 by Nick and Jennie (Blackwell) Coalson, who moved from Menard area. Stockraising and hunting provided livelihood. Their "bacon" was cured bear meat. Indians often stole horses, and in Dec. 1870 attacked cabin when Coalson and Charlie Mann had gone hunting. Ranch hand Joe Harris was killed. Mrs.
History
Colonel John Griffith
(1831-1889) Confederate officer in Civil War. Learned at war's end that women and children of family had fled from Arkansas to Texas in open wagon drawn by a milk cow and a one-eye mule. The missing were found in 1866, as mule was recognized near the courthouse in Comanche and 2 Griffith boys mounted him. Settled at Buffalo Gap. Helped to organize Taylor County, 1878. Moved to Kimble County, 1881.
History
Doom of the Outlaws of Pegleg Station
Here the climax of a western track-down occurred on Jan.18, 1878, when Texas Rangers killed suspected murderer Dick Dublin, member of a gang of outlaws. Although a friend yelled for him to run, Dublin was shot (150 yds. S) as the intrepid James B. Gillett and 3 other Rangers rushed his hide-out (60 yds.E).
History
Early History of Kimble County
Created in 1858 out of Bexar County, Kimble County was attached temporarily to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. It was named for Lt. George C. Kimble, slain March 6, 1836, in the siege of the Alamo. The county was organized in 1876, and the first regular term of district court was held, spring 1877, under a live oak tree 1 3/4 miles north of here. Judge W. A.
History
Fight of Sheriff's Posse with Cattle Rustlers
(Site marked on Rust Ranch, 21 mi. NW) On Feb. 6, 1897, sheriff John L. Jones and deputies T. C. Taylor, Oscar Latta, John Gardner, T. W. Frazier and Bob Owens found Jim and Jourd Nite (brothers) and J. C. Crane with cattle and horses stolen from James and Peter Paterson and John Gardner. In following fight, Crane and Jourd Nite were killed while Jim was wounded.
History
First Court in Kimble County
(Site: 1/2 mi. NW, on main Llano River) Held in spring of 1876, under a live oak tree that had a hive of wild bees in its trunk. The site, "Old Kimbleville," had been suggested as the county seat. District Judge W. A. Blackburn, of Burnet, arrived by horseback. District attorney was Frank Wilks. The jury was seated on two logs.
History
First Court Tree
Site of 1876 hearing presided over by Judge W. A. Blackburn, with Texas Rangers on guard and the accused chained to tree. (1971)
History
First Murr Ranch
HENRY AND ADAM MURR, BORN IN LANCASTER COUNTY, PA. SONS OF MR. AND MRS. JOHN MURR, SERVED 1866-1882 AND 1877-1882, RESPECTIVELY, IN THE UNITED STATES ARMY. AFTER HIS HONORABLE DISCHARGE AT FORT McKAVETT (28 MI NW), HENRY SETTLED HERE ON BEAR CREEK;IN 2 MONTHS ADAM, ALSO HONORABLY DISCHARGED AT FORT McKAVETT, JOINED HIM.
History
First Post Office
Across the street, south, was the first building erected to house the Junction post office. Junction's first postmaster, Mrs. Harriet Kountz, appointed 1876, at first kept the mail in her home. In 1879, her husband, Dr. Ezekiel Kountz, built a post office, drugstore, and general mercantile house on the square. Lumber was hauled from Austin. Mrs. Kountz moved the office here and served until 1881.
Military
Fort McKavett - Fort Clark Military Road
FROM NEARBY FT. TERRETT, THIS ROAD IN 1852 LED SOUTH TO FT. CLARK AND NORTH TO FT. McKAVETT. SELECTED MAINLY BECAUSE IT HAD WATER AVAILABLE, IT SERVED AS ROUTE FOR FREIGHT AND MAIL, 1868, WHEN FORTS WERE REACTIVATED. OVER IT WENT TROOPS, SUPPLIES, A FEW IMMIGRANTS AND PIONEER RANCHES. IT WAS NOTED ALSO FOR PASSAGE OF FORAYS OF COL. RANALD MACKENZIE AGAINST THE HOSTILE INDIANS TO THE NORTHWEST.
Architecture
Hoggett Home
First two-story house in county. Built 1877-1879 on the caliche soil, with no foundation, by Civil War veteran B.F. Pepper, who led a wagon train of settlers to Texas from Missouri. Since 1905 in family of Dr. R.H.P. Wright. The girlhood home of Fay Wright, 1941-1947, First Lady of Texas, as wife of Governor Coke Stevenson. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965.
History
Isaac Kountz
Killed on this spot by Indians on Christmas Eve, 1876. He was 16 years old, and herding sheep for his father, Dr. E. K. Kountz. A brother, Sebastian, age 11, escaped. a posse and Texas Rangers chased the Indians to the Guadalupe River. Young Kountz was buried in Junction Cemetery. (1967)
History
John James Smith
(March 24, 1822 - April 22, 1924) Illinois native John James Smith came to Texas shortly before enlisting for service in the Mexican War, 1846-48. He later served as a Texas Ranger, helping protect frontier areas from attacks by hostile Indians. During the Civil War Smith joined the Confederate Army and served as city marshall of Greenville, Texas, for two years.
History
John L. Jones Ranch
Established about 1875 by Jim Ike and John L. Jones (1852-1912). John Jones drove thousands of cattle to Kansas railheads, and by 1885 had his brother's interest in the ranch, which he increased to 25,000 acres. Originally he ran large herds of cattle, but later added sheep and goats to his ranch. He built a stone drift fence, possibly first in county; portions of this still stand.
History
Johnson Fork Colony
One of first settlements in Kimble County, founded early 1806's on land once owned by Samuel Maverick, famed pioneer Texas cattleman. Name of the colony was taken from its site on the Johnson Fork of the Llano River. Settled by Wiley Joy family, who built gravity irrigation system, rock fence, 2-room log house, traces of which still remain.
History
Junction's First Waterworks
Predecessor of present city waterworks. Supplied water to homes and furnished power to run grist mill, cotton gin, and sawmill. Business leader Ernest Holekamp had canal dug in 1895, beginning at South Llano River, 1/2 mile south of Courthouse. Average bottom width was 6 feet, with depth of water from 3 to 4 feet. The system, named Junction City Milling Company, changed hands 6 times.