History
Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead
Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead This site was the homestead of Hermann (1870-1944) and Aantoine (1873-1941) Ingenhuett from their marriage in 1895 until their deaths and remained in the family until the end of the 20th century.
History
Homesite of Albert Paul Kutzer
A native of Kendall County, Albert Paul Kutzer (1871-1925) was the eldest son of German immigrants Reinhold and Pauline (Holzinger) Kutzer. A merchant and gin operator, he became one of Boerne's leading businessman. He also served as mayor from 1915 to 1920, school board president, and organizer of the Old Boerne Commercial Club.
Quirky
Hygieostatic Bat Roost
This shingle style structure was built in 1918 to attract and house bats in an effort to eradicate mosquitoes and thereby reduce the spread of malaria. It was designed for Albert Steves, Sr., a former mayor of San Antonio, by Dr. Charles A. R. Campbell, an authority on bats who had served as the health officer in the same city.
History
Idlewilde Lodge
Built in 1902 of Texas long leaf yellow pine with cypress siding and millwork, this structure was first used as a spa by Dr. C. H. Wilkinson of Galveston. In 1906 the property was sold to E. Hugo, who operated "Camp Reliance" here until 1912 when Robert Wilke acquired the land and adopted the name "Camp Good Times".
Architecture
Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel
The older section of this hotel, with its jig-cut brackets and balustrade, was built in 1880. Additional facilities were constructed in 1894, seven years after the coming of the railroad to Comfort. Both sections of the inn were designed by Alfred Giles of San Antonio. Members of the Peter Ingenhuett family operated the hotel until about 1903.
History
James House
This two-story limestone house is believed to have been built about 1880 by Ives Brown for Ichabod and Alice Kingsbury. In 1925 it was purchased by Maria (Williams) James (1859-1940), the pioneer surveyor and early community leader who platted the town of Boerne in 1852.
Architecture
Joseph Dienger Building
This limestone commercial structure was built for Joseph Dienger (1859-1950) shortly after he purchased the site in 1884. The ground floor housed his grocery and the second floor provided living quarters for his family. A later addition was used for the dry goods store of Dienger's sisters Lina and Louise.
History
Julius A. and Anna Phillip House
Built about 1900, this was the home of Kendall County Justice of the Peace and County Judge Julius A. Philip (1867-1935), his wife Anna (Meckel) (1867-1961), and their eight children. Originally built as a 4-room house, it was enlarged in the 1920s to accommodate the growing family, and the front porch was added in the 1930s.
Architecture
Karger Building
Ernst Karger (1861-1922), who owned and operated a saloon on the adjoining property, had this building constructed in 1913. Fritz Anderwald's pool hall was first to occupy the building, and several other businesses have been located here over the years.
History
Kendalia Community Church
In 1882 Boerne newspaper editor Carl Gustav Vogel and his wife Ettie began buying land in this area. After Kendalia Methodist Episcopal Church, South, organized in 1886, the Vogels deeded this site to the congregation. Community residents built this meetinghouse. The fellowship merged with First Methodist Church of Boerne in 1966.
History
Kendall County
Kendall County; created January 10, 1862; organized February 18, 1862. Named in honor of George Wilkins Kendall, 1809-1867; poet, journalist, author and farmer. One of the founders of the New Orleans Picayune; member of the Santa Fe Expedition; most successful sheep raiser in the Southwest, Boerne, the county seat
History
Kendall County Courthouse
First and only courthouse in county. Erected 1869-1870, seven years after county organization. Many locally prominent men were associated with the structure. The first county judge, Joseph Graham, was appointed U.S. Consul to Argentina. The first sheriff, Capt. John Sansom, was a member of the U.S. Army, a Texas Ranger and Indian fighter. S. B.
History
Kendall Masonic Lodge No. 897
Efforts to form a Masonic lodge in Boerne began in 1904. On December 7, 1905, the Grande Lodge of Texas granted a charter to Kendall Lodge No. 897, and A.J. Woods, L.W. King, Sr. and U.A. Shirar, Jr. served as the first principal officers. A fire in 1908 destroyed the lodge hall, and the group met in the county courthouse before moving their meetings to the Calrow Building, the city's post office.
History
Kuhlmann-King House
This structure was built in the late 1880s as a residence for German native William Kuhlmann (1856-1918), a successful pharmacist and landholder. He sold the home in 1908 to Selina Long King (1831-1910), whose sons operated the local King & King Lumber Co. The Boerne Independent School District owned the house from 1920 to 1951, using it for rental property as well as for school-related purposes.
History
Ludwig Hein Home
Ludwig Hein (1855-1933) came to Texas from Germany in 1877. He married Rosa Treiber of Waring and built this home for his family before 1900. Hein operated a blacksmith shop next door until the family moved to San Antonio in 1914. The home was known as the "nerve center" of Comfort when the local telephone switchboard was housed here from 1923 to 1955.
History
Meyer Hotel Complex
German native Frederich Christian Meyer (1828-89) came to Comfort in 1862. A wheelwright, Meyer also ran a stage stop and weight station at this site. He later purchased the property, which included a small log cabin he enlarged by adding a second story. In 1869 he constructed a two-story stone residence here for his wife Ernestine (Mueller) (d. 1910), a midwife.
History
Nicolaus Zink
In 1844, Bavarian-born civil engineer Nicolaus Zink (1812-1887) was selected to lead a group of German immigrants overseas to establish settlements on a Texas land grant. This colonization effort was headed by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels and financed by a German corporation known as the Mainzer Adelsverein.
Architecture
Otto Brinkmann House
The cottage was built in 1860 by German-born Otto Brinkmann (1832-1915), who lived here with his brothers until he married Marie Johanne Ochse in 1867. The half-timbered walls filled with native stone display the "fachwerk" technique introduced in Texas by German immigrants. The structure was enlarged in 1879, when the owner was Brinkmann's mother-in-law, Mrs. Julius Ochse.
History
Paul Ingenhuett Home
Young Paul Ingenhuett (b. 1868), born on this block, succeeded his father Peter Joseph in the mercantile business. Soon Paul expanded into farming, sheep and cattle ranching, and helped found Comfort State Bank. In 1891 he married Ida Emma Sophie Flach and they had four children.
History
Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead
German immigrant Peter Joseph Ingenhuett (1833-1923) came to Texas and settled on a farm near Comfort in the 1850s. In 1861, he married Marie Karger (1843-1913), and they moved into town in 1867. The Ingenhuetts opened various businesses along what is now High Street, including a hotel, saloon, and livery stable. Ingenhuett served for nearly 25 years as the Comfort postmaster.
History
Pinta Trail in Kendall County
The Pinta Trail (Camino Pinta) was a natural pathway through the Hill Country, utilized by Native Americans and later linking to Spanish settlements to the southeast. The path extended about 180 miles northwest from San Antonio to the 1750s Spanish presidio at Menard. In the 1780s, pathfinder José Mares incorporated the link into a shorter route between Santa Fe and San Antonio.
History
Saint Helena's Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal worship service in Kendall County was held in the Old Kuhfuss Hall in Boerne in 1873. St. Helena's congregation was organized by Bishop R. W. B. Elliott in 1881, and a small wooden church structure was erected on this site. By 1929 the need for a new church had arisen. The original wooden building was razed to make room for a new limestone sanctuary.
History
Saint Peter's Catholic Church
In 1866 Bishop Claude M. Dubuis of Galveston sent a young French immigrant, Emil L. J. R. Fleury, to organize a congregation and build a church to serve Boerne and the outlying towns and army posts. This stone structure was completed in 1867. Features include an entry portico with shingled gable end, a small belfry, and segmental-arch windows.
History
Sisterdale
Abundant natural resources and a well-traveled pathway made this area one of the earliest frontier Hill Country settlements. The Pinto Trail, an ancient Native American road between Spanish missions in San Antonio and lands north, was a conduit here, crossing the Guadalupe and its local tributaries.
History
Staffel Family and the Staffel Store
German immigrant August Staffel arrived in Texas in 1852 and in due course made his way to Boerne, where he purchased property at this site in 1854. When Boerne was granted a postal station in 1856, Staffel served as first postmaster and housed the post office on his property. Staffel's other businesses included the Staffel store, stagecoach office, saloon, livery stable and wagon yard.