History
"Treue Der Union"
("Loyalty to the Union") This German language monument, erected 1866, honors the memory of 68 men (mostly Germans) from this region who were loyal to the Union during the Civil War. Trying desperately to reach U.S. Federal troops by way of Mexico, about 40 of the men were killed by vengeful Confederates bent on annihilating them, in the Battle of the Nueces (on Aug.
Architecture
1907 Comfort State Bank Building
Constructed in 1907 for Alex Brinkmann, this building housed the Comfort State Bank until 1960. Local stonemason Richard Doebbler is credited with the hand-cut stone craftsmanship of the structure. The Comfort Public Library was located here from 1961 to 1982.
Architecture
Arno Schwethelm Building
Prominent local merchant Arno Schwethelm had this building constructed in 1916 to house his mercantile business, a leading Hill Country establishment. Designed by L. Harrington of San Antonio and built by stonemason Otto Bartel, it combines the function of a twentieth century commercial structure with the detail of German craftsmanship.
History
August Ebers House
In 1860 August Ebers, a German immigrant, built the east portion of this stone house. It included a kitchen, a "big room", and an upstairs loft bedroom. Before 1880 he added the west wing. Ebers was killed in a well accident in 1884, and his family continued operating the farm. The home became a social center where community dances were held, and served as a polling place during elections.
Architecture
August Faltin Building
Prussian native Friedrich August Faltin (1830-1905) moved to Comfort in 1856 and purchased the general merchandise business of Theodor Goldbeck, located at this site. Trained in his father's store, which had been established about 1818 in Danzig, Prussia, now Gdansk, Poland, Faltin became a leading merchant of the Texas Hill Country. In addition, his 1869 partnership with Capt.
History
Beseler Family
Carl Joseph and Augusta Beseler and their two sons immigrated from Germany to Texas in 1848. They settled in Kendall County on a land grant in the 1850s. The community of Welfare was established on the Beseler land grant. The Beselers' son Ernst died in the Battle of Nueces. His brother Carl Philipp was instrumental in building Welfare into a railroad shipping point in the 1880s.
History
Beseler House
Civic leader and Boerne businessman Maxmillian Beseler (1866-1939) had this stone Victorian cottage built for his parents, Charles and Minna Beseler, in 1903. A native of Prussia, Charles Beseler came to Texas in 1848 and served for many years as a Kendall County public official.
History
Boerne Cemetery
When Adam Vogt (1822-1882) deeded land for this cemetery to the city in 1867, there were already some graves present. The earliest documented burial, that of Anton Peter Loth, dates to 1862. In the older sections of the cemetery are graves of area pioneers and German immigrants, including Vogt and George Wilkins Kendall (1809-1867), for whom the county was named.
History
Boerne Chapter No. 200, O.E.S.
The foundations of the Order of the Eastern Star began in the 1840s and, by 1867, developed into a system of local chapters. Eastern Star is dedicated to the principles of truth, charity, and loving kindness. Organized in June 1910, the Boerne chapter had membership of twenty women and men when chartered on October 11, 1911. Many members belonged to pioneer families of the area.
History
Brownsboro Cemetery
This cemetery served the community of Brownsboro, which was originally settled by shinglemakers. Later, farmers and then railroad workers resided here. Thomas and Sarah Manning donated land for a burial ground and church in 1870; Levi and Sarah Howell later donated additional property. The first known burial was of Henry Bierschwale in 1877.
History
C.S.A. Home Front Producer George Wilkins Kendall
(1809 - 1867) A molder of world opinion. His theme: Greatness of Texas. Born in New Hampshire. Learned printing and worked in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. With Francis A. Lumsden, in 1837 founded New Orleans "Picayune". Joined the Texan-Santa Fe Expedition, 1841, as a reporter. Was imprisoned along with other ill-fated members. Wrote a book on the expedition.
History
Camino Real de San Saba (Camino Viejo) in Kendall County
Beginning in the 1700s, the Camino Real de San Saba extended northwest from San Antonio through the Comanche and Apache-dominated Hill Country to the Spanish fort on the San Saba River named Presidio San Luis de las Amarillas. A portion of the trail was drawn on a Spanish-era map of the San Antonio Presidio in 1767 by Joseph de Urrutia.
Nature
Cascade Cavern
Probably formed during the Pleistocene epoch by the underground passage of the Cibolo River, Cascade Cavern presents an interesting mix of geological, archeological, and historical features. It exhibits a combination of the joint and the dip and strike types of caverns, and is the home of a number of unusual animals, including cliff and leopard frogs, Mexican brown bats, and Cascade Cavern…
Architecture
Comfort Community Church
Dedicated in 1892, this Gothic revival building first served the Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde (German Evangelical Congregation), founded the previous year by the Rev. Frederick Bauer. The bell tower was added about 1898. For over 50 years, the Lutherans shared their building with other denominations, and the structure became known as the Comfort Community Church.
Architecture
Comfort Post Office
From 1856, when Comfort's postal station was established, until this building was constructed in 1910, the town's post office was housed in various mercantile stores. In 1910, while Hermann Ingenhuett was serving as postmaster, this building was completed.
History
Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff
In the 1850s, a few courageous and well-trained European doctors responded to the health needs of the citizens of San Antonio. For more than fifty years, Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig von Herff worked tirelessly to provide leadership and medical knowledge and to improve medical practices in Texas.
History
Early Boerne Schoolhouses
The origins of public schools in Boerne date to 1873, when the Boerne Gesangenverein donated land on which to erect a schoolhouse. A two-room stone building was completed in 1874 and served children in all grades. A small frame building was added to the property around the turn of the century, and the upper and lower grades were separated. In 1910 a new two-story stone school was built.
History
Fabra Smokehouse
A native of Germany, Julius Fabra (1827-1910) migrated to this area in 1854. After working as a freight hauler, he opened a meat market to serve the local farms. His son Ludwig (1858-1929) joined the business at the age of eighteen and constructed this smokehouse for the store in 1887. Originally a one-story structure, it was built of native limestone. A second story was added in 1904.
History
Faltin Homestead
German native Theodor Georg Ludwig Goldbeck constructed the original part of this home in 1854, the same year the town of Comfort was founded. In 1856 he sold the house and his mercantile business to Friedrich August Faltin, a merchant who had recently migrated from Prussia. Additions to the residence, completed during his ownership, reflect German influences of pioneer building techniques.
History
Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead
Ferdinand Hohenberger (ca. 1813-1895), with his wife Katherine Schultze and their family, left Bremen, Germany in 1855. Arriving in Galveston on November 20 after a 73-day ocean voyage, they first settled in Luckenbach (approx. 10 mi. NE). The family relocated to this area and purchased this property in 1871.
History
Freidenker
Nineteenth Century Freethinkers From 1845 to 1861, a number of German Freidenker ("Freethinkers") immigrated to the Texas Hill Country. Freethinkers were German intellectuals who advocated reason and democracy over religious and political authoritarianism. Many had participated in the 1848 German revolution and sought freedom in America.
History
George Wilkins Kendall
(August 22, 1809 - October 21, 1867) A native of New Hampshire, George Wilkins Kendall was a journalist by profession. He was co-founder of the New Orleans "Picayune" newspaper in 1837. Kendall later wrote books chronicling his experiences with the 1841 Texan Santa Fe Expedition and the Mexican War. He moved to this area in 1857 and became a sheep rancher.
History
German Music in Boerne
German music professor Karl Dienger, who immigrated to Boerne in 1855, organized a singing club (gesang verein) and band in Boerne in 1860. Dienger's music group consisted of musicians from throughout the area and was commonly known as the Boerne Village Band. The band reflected traditional German music, heritage, and culture and performed at various area festivals, functions, and events.
Architecture
Hanisch House
Using trees growing on nearby Cypress Creek, log portion of this house was built 1857 by Emil Serger and Paul Hanisch. Housed first pharmacy in Comfort. West wing and "Sunday house" were built in 1870, 1885. Restoration by Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Rice, 1947. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Henry J. Graham Building
Constructed on Main Street in the late nineteenth century, this building first served as an office for the real estate, insurance, and private banking interests of Henry J. Graham (1854-1936). Born in Brazil, Graham came to Boerne in the 1870s. He was an active community leader and served as both tax assessor and deputy sheriff for Kendall County.